• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

I'm happy Delta lost a tax break. Fuck Delta and all the airlines.

And fuck the GA GOP and their loyalists in Georgia. I hope they pay more to fly to their next insurrection or maskless hate-mongering session.

And this stupid piece of shit bill that makes Angus' little wart-covered crooked peen stand up will not be enough to stop Stacy Abrams and the good folks in GA from beating these perpetually frightened cunts.

Tell us, Angus, why Georgia Republicans passed this law to start with? They've said they did it to "restore confidence" in the election system after last year's election - yet all the evidence indicates that there was no significant vote fraud or abuse in Georgia, either in the presidential election or the special Senate elections later. Do you believe that the election in Georgia was stolen from Dear Leader, or that there was vote fraud so great that a sweeping new law was needed? Do tell.

Are you saying here that this legislation was simply not necessary or that it was so obviously transparent in its intent that it's worthy of all our disdain?
I have not read the full legislation, something I must do. That it came out of Georgia of course sends up red flags to me. But does federal legislation simply requiring ID not reasonable? Nothing more, nothing less. At first glance it seems that all the other shit they included (Limiting hours, absentee ballots, mail boxes, etc) is where this law derails. We know what Georgia Pub real intent (hope) is here but has that gotten in our way of seeing the idea of an iD may be reasonable, even if this has not really been a MAJOR problem in the past?

Are you saying here that this legislation was simply not necessary or that it was so obviously transparent in its intent that it's worthy of all our disdain?
I have not read the full legislation, something I must do. That it came out of Georgia of course sends up red flags to me. But does federal legislation simply requiring ID not reasonable? Nothing more, nothing less. At first glance it seems that all the other shit they included (Limiting hours, absentee ballots, mail boxes, etc) is where this law derails. We know what Georgia Pub real intent (hope) is here but has that gotten in our way of seeing the idea of an iD may be reasonable, even if this has not really been a MAJOR problem in the past?

I'm saying that it's both. Many of the features the GOP-dominated GA state legislature and government abolished were created and put into place by the same state legislature some years ago. It's obvious that they're scrapping much of their own creation due to losing the presidential election and 2 special Senate races, and they're in panic mode. Given that there was not a shred of evidence of any significant vote fraud or abuse in either the presidential election or the 2 special Senate races, the legislation is also completely unnecessary, especially given the bullshit reason the GA GOP gave for passing it - to "restore confidence" in the election system. Why do you need to pass voter restrictions and enact a sweeping new law to restore confidence in a system that the GA Secretary of State (a Republican) and his assistants repeatedly said showed no signs of fraud or abuse? The intent of the law is obvious, and the reasoning for passing it is absurd on its face.

If it hasn’t been a problem, then what is the justification for adding a burden to people exercising a constitutional right?

Unless the state pays for 100% of the cost and makes sure everyone gets an ID, it is 100% a poll tax. If you don't pay for an ID you can't vote. It's no different than paying an entrance fee to vore.

On top of that there is no problem.

Maybe to help restore confidence in voting (and government generally), Republican “leaders” should try telling the truth to their supporters instead of constantly misleading them.

It’s disingenuous for conservatives to respond to criticisms of policies like giving the Republican state legislature control over local election boards by claiming it’s only about IDs.

Unless the state pays for 100% of the cost and makes sure everyone gets an ID, it is 100% a poll tax. If you don't pay for an ID you can't vote. It's no different than paying an entrance fee to vore.

On top of that there is no problem.

So in Georgia, where you can get a free, state-issued ID for the purposes of voting, then there's no issue with having to show ID to vote?

So in Georgia, where you can get a free, state-issued ID for the purposes of voting, then there's no issue with having to show ID to vote?

Case in point.

If EVERYONE who is eligible gets one, not offered, then it's not a poll tax. But they will find a way to make it incredibly difficult for some people to get the ID.

THERE IS NO PROBLEM. THERE ARE NO REASONS FOR IDS.

What is the sudden need for a voter ID when there is no evidence whatsoever of even a handful of vote fraud or abuse in your state? Why go to the expense? Could it be that Republicans are dumb enough to believe in false charges of vote fraud and theft? The GA GOP has passed a sweeping voter law (and it's about a lot more than just voter IDs) to solve a problem that literally doesn't exist. It's a drastic solution in search of a problem. And yet Republicans claim that it's Democrats that love to have the government meddle in things it has no business doing.

Government accurately identifying a person who votes is not a proper function of government? Are you out of your mind?

Without proper identification how can government identify anyone? Think about all the basic things necessary for day-to-day life for which you need proper identification. To suggest that you shouldn't need proper identification in order to vote is absurd. Which western democracy does not require proper accurate identification in order to vote?

Government accurately identifying a person who votes is not a proper function of government? Are you out of your mind?

Without proper identification how can government identify anyone? Think about all the basic things necessary for day-to-day life for which you need proper identification. To suggest that you shouldn't need proper identification in order to vote is absurd. Which western democracy does not require proper accurate identification in order to vote?

The Democracy on which on all modern democracies are based.

We have no voter fraud issue. Anyone who says we do is either a moron or a racist RW liar.

So I guess you're OK with covid vaccine passports/IDs then? I mean, it's getting really confusing as to when conservatives think requiring government ID is OK and when it's not. And again, is there any evidence that GA not requiring a voter ID until now has led to any significant vote fraud or abuse in the state? If so, why wasn't it noticed in last year's elections, or the 2 special Senate races?

Last edited:
I suspect every voter in GA is required to be registered and has to identify themselves when they show up to vote.

Already.

So this is about requiring some higher level of "proof" of identity when voting, yes?

Maybe we should just do the chip implants and scan ourselves into the ballot box? Or have a bar code like thingy tattooed onto our forearms? Or maybe develop a DNA database to use?

I mean, photo IDs can be faked and all.

Or maybe we should first identify an actual problem before proffering solutions that transparently discourage voting by out political opponents.

So it's anti-urban, anti-poor, and anti-minority. Which are pretty much the same groups that Jim Crow laws were aimed at. The GOP really has become the back to the future party.

Back