• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

Opinion: Georgia Republicans can’t admit the real reason they’re restricting voting

... Move over, Dr. Seuss. The right has found a new front in its never-ending culture war.

As in any war, truth is the first casualty in this conflict. Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) claims that criticism of the legislation is misplaced because it actually “expands” voting access. It’s true that the act does contain some provisions that expand access primarily in rural, heavily Republican areas. But a meticulous New York Times examination found that these provisions are far outweighed by 16 measures that restrict voting access — especially in urban areas where minority voters are concentrated.

In the core of metropolitan Atlanta, the number of drop boxes for absentee ballots will be reduced from 94 to no more than 23. The amount of time to request an absentee ballot before an election will be cut from 180 days to 78. Provisional ballots cast by voters who mistakenly go to the wrong polling place may no longer be counted. Election officials will be banned from sending absentee ballots to all voters. Mobile voting centers will essentially be discontinued. New ID requirements will be instituted. Outside groups will be prohibited from offering food or water to voters waiting in long lines even on hot and humid days. (Long lines are one of the leading reasons cited for not voting.)

Some of the act’s most worrisome provisions give the Republican-controlled legislature more control over disputed results. The legislature can now suspend county election officials. Replacements will be named by the State Election Board — whose chair will now be appointed by the legislature. Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger had previously chaired the board. But he angered Trump by resisting entreaties to overturn the election results, so now the secretary of state has been booted off the election board altogether.

President Biden may have exaggerated in describing this as “Jim Crow in the 21st century.” It’s not as egregious as restrictions on voting during the segregation era (but that’s not saying much). He was definitely wrong to claim that the law ends voting at 5 p.m.; polls will still be open until 7 p.m. And it’s true, as Kemp argues, that some blue states have restrictive voting laws of their own. Georgia, for example, offers a minimum of 17 days of early voting compared with nine in New York.
But New York isn’t moving to restrict voting. Georgia is. Why is that? Republicans can’t answer that basic question with a straight face because an honest response would expose their authoritarianism and racism.

The law’s ostensible justification is to combat voter fraud — except there isn’t any significant fraud. Trump is still claiming the election was “rigged,” but he has never produced one iota of credible evidence. Republicans filed more than 60 lawsuits challenging the election results that failed. A recent analysis from the Mitre Corp., a nonpartisan research organization, found “no evidence of fraud, manipulation, or uncorrected error” in eight battleground states, including Georgia.

The Georgia law was obviously passed not to crack down on nonexistent voter fraud but to make it harder for Democrats to win elections by making it more difficult for their supporters to vote. Some on the right even admit as much. With admirable (if chilling) honesty, National Review’s Andrew C. McCarthy defends the law by writing: “It would be far better if the franchise were not exercised by ignorant, civics-illiterate people, hypnotized by the flimflam that a great nation needs to be fundamentally transformed rather than competently governed.”

It goes without saying that the “ignorant … people” that McCarthy wants to disenfranchise are not Republicans like Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.), who claims that Jewish-controlled space lasers are setting wildfires and that vigorous exercise can protect you against covid-19. He is obviously talking about people of color and progressives who believe that a country with a long history of racism and discrimination needs to be “fundamentally transformed.” That the Georgia legislature just passed a law restricting voting rights only shows how urgent that transformation remains.

Bolding added.

Lol at conservatives prattling about civics illiteracy and the priority of competent governance. Good grief.

LMAO - I didn't even have to click on the link to know that gem of an op-ed was authored by either Jen Jen Rubin or Max Boot.

Always entertaining when the WaPo allows its *conservative* journalists to present the other side of an issue.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

The col only consumes media with sombrero wearing coeds. Preferably on fox news.

LMAO - I didn't even have to click on the link to know that gem of an op-ed was authored by either Jen Jen Rubin or Max Boot.

Always entertaining when the WaPo allows its *conservative* journalists to present the other side of an issue.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

Max Boot who was an advisor for Marco Rubio's 2016 presidential campaign?

Mollie Hemingway and the fox at five crew is probably more your speed. they will tell you what you want to hear.

So the RW has moved from comparing GA to CO to trying to find DE. How interesting!

Without these changes. That's the point. Try to keep up.

tenor.gif

Point out to me anything untrue in that piece, Colonel.

I've noticed that the GOP and right-wing media are all-in on defending the GA voting law. Chris Christie this weekend said that Biden lied about the law and was now basically no better than Trump when it comes to honesty (lol), and that he ought to apologize for slandering a "good" voting law. Rich Lowry on Meet the Press said that the GA law had gotten a very unfair press and had been "smeared" by liberals. And lots of other conservatives are saying the same, like we've seen on this board. The details mentioned in the WaPo article are conveniently ignored, as are any questions as to why GA Republicans felt compelled to pass such a sweeping law due to nonexistent vote fraud, or why they basically voted to overturn a voting system that they themselves had created and which had worked well in last year's elections.

Last edited:
Even if he tried, Biden could never come close to lying at Trump’s proficiency.

Maybe to help restore confidence in voting (and government generally), Republican “leaders” should try telling the truth to their supporters instead of constantly misleading them.

This all fucking day! Don’t tell us you want to solidify confidence in the elections while supporting the big lie.

Government accurately identifying a person who votes is not a proper function of government? Are you out of your mind?

Without proper identification how can government identify anyone? Think about all the basic things necessary for day-to-day life for which you need proper identification. To suggest that you shouldn't need proper identification in order to vote is absurd. Which western democracy does not require proper accurate identification in order to vote?

If that is true, how do so many get by without proper identification?

I am not opposed to getting a certificate that I was vaccinated for covid19. I also got a certification that I was vaccinated against smallpox, polio, etc. when I was a child. Just as my children did.

This is the most disturbing post I’ve read on the board.

Do you really not understand why people have a problem with “massa”?

I absolutely understand.

But it's the way he has made feel for many years. Am I not allowed to feel any way you don't approved of? I'm not allowed to express how I am made to feel?

It's 100% OK for you and he and others to go out of your ways to make me feel like shit even when I haven't addressed the person who starts it. There is nothing off the menu when attacking me.

Hell, he can't admit (nor can you) that he intentionally provoked this and lied about the reality that there are literally thousands and thousands of my posts which are 100% "opinion".

All I have EVER wanted here is to have some fun, but some you aren't willing to try. I know it's all my fault.

Say what, again?!? You think he has made you feel like a slave on a plantation?
Holy shit.

Do you really not understand why people have a problem with “massa”?

There it is. "Why cave in to a concern that almost half of the population has? Politics, in the 2020's. Thank you for the shining example.
Keep on fighting the good fight....lol.

The reason they have that concern is not because there is actually a problem, but because Republicans have yelled the lie louder than researchers have yelled the truth.

So yes, they are dumb enough to believe Republicans rather than actual voting experts.

Not to mention, this game has already played out. Republicans will decide what IDs are valid based on their interests.

So the RW has moved from comparing GA to CO to trying to find DE. How interesting!

It feels unkind to argue with you. The fact that there are plenty of blue states with more restrictive voting laws than the ones you suddenly object to in Georgia makes your argument weaker, not stronger.

To sober adults, these ideas are not "Worse than Jim Crow!"; they are reliably popular.

In fall 2018, the Pew Research Center found that 76 percent of Americans favored requiring everyone to show a government-issued photo ID in order to vote, versus only 23 percent who opposed it. Do you really believe that 3 in 4 of your fellow Americans are neo-segregationists?

If you want to continue to describe the Georgia law (imperfect as it is) "Worse than Jim Crow!", you also have to explain why it's also not as bad as the laws in a dozen other blue states. Otherwise I'll be forced to conclude that you're just lying and/or stupid, and in either event incapable of having the important discussion of how we can change it to make it better. Freely. Maybe let someone else on your side try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back