• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

When you have zero policy initiatives just keep people from voting.

Hurting the right people is the policy initiative.

Unless the state pays for 100% of the cost and makes sure everyone gets an ID, it is 100% a poll tax. If you don't pay for an ID you can't vote. It's no different than paying an entrance fee to vore.

On top of that there is no problem.

How much is an ID I didn’t even realize you had to it for them. Having state issued I’ds seems reasonable.

Well, it looks like Rich Lowry and his National Review crew have finally come out and admitted what the goal is. I hope that somebody asks Lowry about that article on his next Meet the Press appearance. Watching him defend that could be amusing.

Strange how not a single conservative I've seen or read since the bill was passed has bothered to defend or even mention that part of the bill. It's almost as if they want to avoid discussing it.

Haha

How do the ogboards deplorables feel about the GA Lt Governor admitting today that their new voter suppression laws are thanks to Rudy Giuliani after he "spent hours in committee rooms spreading misinformation about the election."

How much is an ID I didn’t even realize you had to it for them. Having state issued I’ds seems reasonable.

It isn't necessarily the direct cost of the ID that is the issue. It is the potential for hours of lost time (during standard business hours only, mind you) that some people just don't have. Lack of child care or transportation, jobs with no paid time off, things like that are much less of a problem for those not living on the margins. I'm a proponent of a national ID system, but it needs to be easy and free for everyone. Moreover, you can't make laws requiring IDs until they are easy and free for everyone. Unfortunately, this happens far too often.

Republicans love to require voter IDs while simultaneously closing DMV offices in all the minority neighborhoods.

Republicans love to require voter IDs while simultaneously closing DMV offices in all the minority neighborhoods.

Yes, but as we all know getting an ID is super easy and if black folk really wanted to vote and weren't just lazy they'd be willing to drive all over the Atlanta area to a DMV office to get one!

It isn't necessarily the direct cost of the ID that is the issue. It is the potential for hours of lost time (during standard business hours only, mind you) that some people just don't have. Lack of child care or transportation, jobs with no paid time off, things like that are much less of a problem for those not living on the margins. I'm a proponent of a national ID system, but it needs to be easy and free for everyone. Moreover, you can't make laws requiring IDs until they are easy and free for everyone. Unfortunately, this happens far too often.
Shouldn’t this harm rural people at a higher rate than inner city folks?

In case there was any wonder why Republicans are desperate to restrict voting rights and rig elections.

[h=1]Quarterly Gap in Party Affiliation Largest Since 2012[/h]
https://news.gallup.com/poll/343976/quarterly-gap-party-affiliation-largest-2012.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- In Gallup polling throughout the first quarter of 2021, an average of 49% of U.S. adults identified with the Democratic Party or said they are independents who lean toward the Democratic Party. That compares with 40% who identified as Republicans or Republican leaners. The nine-percentage-point Democratic advantage is the largest Gallup has measured since the fourth quarter of 2012. In recent years, Democratic advantages have typically been between four and six percentage points.

There is absolutely no reason for any of this. And since the new law, allows state officials to take over “under-performing local election districts”, a less scrupulous Brad Raffensberger will be able to do exactly what Trump wanted him to do.

this is the real threat hidden in the middle of the whole thing. nobody expects the legislature to take over the Bumfuck County GA elections. This is a target painted right on Fulton County.
Since Junebug has carefully read the law, maybe he can tell me whether the state is providing funding for counties with long lines to split up precincts. If not, how does the state expect those voting machines to be purchased and facilities leased? Because the law also prohibits counties from accepting outside funding to accomplish those goals.

this is the real threat hidden in the middle of the whole thing. nobody expects the legislature to take over the Bumfuck County GA elections. This is a target painted right on Fulton County.
Since Junebug has carefully read the law, maybe he can tell me whether the state is providing funding for counties with long lines to split up precincts. If not, how does the state expect those voting machines to be purchased and facilities leased? Because the law also prohibits counties from accepting outside funding to accomplish those goals.

also, when do they determine that the lines were long therefore we need to split things? are they looking at the 2020 election, or will they "look" in 2022 and promise to get around to it next time?

Haha

How do the ogboards deplorables feel about the GA Lt Governor admitting today that their new voter suppression laws are thanks to Rudy Giuliani after he "spent hours in committee rooms spreading misinformation about the election."

Still waiting.

also, when do they determine that the lines were long therefore we need to split things? are they looking at the 2020 election, or will they "look" in 2022 and promise to get around to it next time?

it appears that they are going to look at the 2020 election (the law says "previous general election"). Full text is here https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/01/us/politics/georgia-voting-law.html
It is clear that the state isn't going to fund it. all election expenses must be paid by the county. Except, notably, no local government is allowed to spend legal fees to litigate any action to suspend an election official. So if the legislature moves to take over the Fulton County elections, Mayor Bottoms will not be allowed to spend any government funds to sue the state over the action. Nice touch there.

Hurting the right people is the policy initiative.

In this context, "hurting" Georgia voters is treating them like they live in Delaware, Virginia, New York, California, North Carolina and Illinois.

Haha

In this context, "hurting" Georgia voters is treating them like they live in Delaware, Virginia, New York, California, North Carolina and Illinois.

hey juney! thoughts on the GA Lt Govenor telling the truth?

Back