• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

Democrats are the only people who believe that other Democrats are uniquely incapable getting an ID (a task routinely mastered by nervous 15 year olds throughout the State). There are hundreds of them open at this very moment.

Map here:
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/offices-services/locate-dmv-office/Pages/dmv-offices.aspx

Remind me who is "making up this problem"?

Republicans are making up a voter fraud problem. I am still really perplexed that you conservatives want to expand a government bureaucracy and force people to carry ID to solve a problem we have very little evidence actually exists. I wish the evidence burden for addressing climate change was this low, we'd have started carbon regulation in the 1990's.

Just a reminder that it’s not about getting an ID. It’s about Republicans choosing IDs Black people are less likely to have.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/01/north-carolina-voter-id-law-blocked-discriminatory

“This iteration of the North Carolina law required voters to present one of 10 forms of acceptable identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, or military ID in order to vote. But Biggs noted that minority voters in the state were less likely to possess an acceptable form of ID. She also noted that African American voters were more likely to have public assistance and government IDs – both of which were largely not considered an acceptable form of voter ID under the law.
“The evidence suggests that minority voters are not just less likely to have an acceptable form of ID, but that the legislature excluded photographic ID that could have greatly reduced that discrepancy,” she wrote.”

Welcome back, jhmd. It’s like having our own Ted Cruz.

https://abc11.com/voter-id-nc-ruling-law-reinstated/8443703/

The ruling means North Carolina will rejoin the majority of states in having some form of a voter ID law. More than 30 states require some form of voter ID. Supporters of the photo ID mandate say it builds confidence in election results.

Your insultingly low opinion of perceived limitations of your fellow Democrats (which we do not share) isn't widely held. There's a reason that most states (including many blue ones) believe in this common sense solution, and it was the same reason the Court of Appeals sided with this popular law.

https://abc11.com/voter-id-nc-ruling-law-reinstated/8443703/

The ruling means North Carolina will rejoin the majority of states in having some form of a voter ID law. More than 30 states require some form of voter ID. Supporters of the photo ID mandate say it builds confidence in election results.

Your insultingly low opinion of perceived limitations of your fellow Democrats (which we do not share) isn't widely held. There's a reason that most states (including many blue ones) believe in this common sense solution, and it was the same reason the Court of Appeals sided with this popular law.

Solution to what?

The NC I grew up in took pride at being better than other states particularly other Southern states.

Anyway, keep coming up with bad or disingenuous arguments to avoid what you know is true.

The NC I grew up in took pride at being better than other states particularly other Southern states.

Anyway, keep coming up with bad or disingenuous arguments to avoid what you know is true.

When did New York become a Southern State?

I thought you all claim you want to help these people, but none of your actions ever back that up. When presented with the option of using executive authority to do so, your party constantly punts (leaving these marginalized people without this fundamental tool of upward mobility). You guys want this problem far more than you want the solution. It's your flag burning, but it actually hurts people. Nice work.

I thought you all claim you want to help these people, but none of your actions ever back that up. When presented with the option of using executive authority to do so, your party constantly punts (leaving these marginalized people without this fundamental tool of upward mobility). You guys want this problem far more than you want the solution. It's your flag burning, but it actually hurts people. Nice work.

step 1: Fabricate a problem and declare it's probably happening, in fact it's probably rampant even though we can't find evidence.
step 2: Ram through a solution to the fake problem that creates a whole slew of other problems
step 3: Declare that the opposition political party should be the ones to fix the new problems created by our bad solution to a fake problem
step 4: blame the opposition for not solving the problem created by our bad solution to a fake problem and conclude that the opposition must not really care about the people affected by the problems we created
step 5: sit back, win elections, profit...

step 1: Fabricate a problem and declare it's probably happening, in fact it's probably rampant even though we can't find evidence.
step 2: Ram through a solution to the fake problem that creates a whole slew of other problems
step 3: Declare that the opposition political party should be the ones to fix the new problems created by our bad solution to a fake problem
step 4: blame the opposition for not solving the problem created by our bad solution to a fake problem and conclude that the opposition must not really care about the people affected by the problems we created

Or Democrats could solve the problem of allegedly large numbers of their voters being political and economically disenfranchised with a single policy memo.

Democrats are the only people who believe that other Democrats are uniquely incapable getting an ID (a task routinely mastered by nervous 15 year olds throughout the State). There are hundreds of them open at this very moment.

Map here:
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/offices-services/locate-dmv-office/Pages/dmv-offices.aspx

Remind me who is "making up this problem"?

Nervous 15 YOs? What a dismissive and dishonest comment. You think those nervous 15 year old are obtaining the ID without assistance? They are walking across town to the DMV without parents to get them there? Hell, I had a driver's ed program through my public high school that provided the classes and all instruction on how to obtain the DL/ID.

Your logic: There were some older people with chronic disease who were exposed to COVID-19 but never had any severe symptoms. I guess it isn't an issue.

Cant really argue with this.

Meanwhile, these people persist without IDs not just on the one day of the year you pretend to care about them, but on the other 364 days too.

Why is this a problem, other than the voting fraud rules your guys are pushing? What do they need a government issued photo ID for that have been getting by without for 364 days?

Remember that time a court asked for proof of voter fraud and just like when Trump cases were asked for evidence when there’s penalties for lying the case folded immediately.

My daughter is 15 and getting a learner's permit is an enormous hassle right now due to COVID. You have to make an appointment our you won't be seen. The staff one of the locations in Charlotte flat out tell you that they're understaffed and that they can't possibly see everyone, even if you have an appointment, but the state continues to make appointments. So if you have an appointment after around 1:00, you can wait for three hours and then they'll either reschedule you or tell you to go back to the website and make another appointment.

You also have to have grades that aren't absolutely terrible to qualify to get a learner's permit, which requires a form from your high school.

My daughter is 15 and getting a learner's permit is an enormous hassle right now due to COVID. You have to make an appointment our you won't be seen. The staff one of the locations in Charlotte flat out tell you that they're understaffed and that they can't possibly see everyone, even if you have an appointment, but the state continues to make appointments. So if you have an appointment after around 1:00, you can wait for three hours and then they'll either reschedule you or tell you to go back to the website and make another appointment.

You also have to have grades that aren't absolutely terrible to qualify to get a learner's permit, which requires a form from your high school.

That sounds even harder than uploading your COVID test results into the Hawaiian governments public health website!

Why is this a problem, other than the voting fraud rules your guys are pushing? What do they need a government issued photo ID for that have been getting by without for 364 days?

Gross.

Who is talking about New York?

What problem are you talking about? Even you admit people are living 364 days with the IDs they have. You’re the one who wants them to have a brand new ID from the government for that one day.

you guys wanna know what it takes to get a new SSN for an adopted kid in the state of NC right now?

Back