• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

Ha yeah Virginia was insane. I had to renew my license in August, I got an update email in May that they'd stopped allowing online renewals for a bunch of stuff you used to be able to do online, then of course there's the ridiculous real ID option that is also in-person only if you want to be able to get on a plane using your license.

So I follow their appointment link since all DMV's are now appointment only, and there are no appointments for 6 months. 6 goddamn months. At any DMV within 100 miles of me. So I take the first open one and continue to get updates about how my ID is expiring weekly via email.

I hold my expired ID through November when my slot finally pops up. They required your old ID, 2 forms of new ID gov issued with photos, and 2 forms of proof-of-residence. The kicker was while I could certainly bring some bills in my name and my "complete mortgage agreement" as they suggested - they specified no copies or printouts. They all had to be originals. I don't know who the hell still gets original documents but most of those don't even exist thanks to onilne billing now. So I call the DMV to ask what the "originals" flag means, they hilariously can't answer over the phone, you have to visit the help desk in person. Which only takes appointments. Which has a 3 month waitlist.

Fortunately I have a DOD ID and a passport, plus I had an original water bill contract since we moved recently and some original signed doc from our house purchase. While my experience actually at the DMV was quick and painless since I had everything, I watched 3 exasperated people get turned down, or at least get into arguments over their documentation (who knows what the final outcome was I left as quickly as possible) in the short time I was there. I can only imagine the level of nightmare navigating the real-ID shit is for non-internet savvy folks or people renting, living somewhere temporarily, or with more complex situations.

I will say that as of October they changed a few things and my wife's experience was a little easier, but still had to be in-person and still took 4 months to get an appointment.

Yeah, TSA is supposedly requiring REAL ID for air travel starting in October 2021. No way the DMV gets back to normal before 2022. And when things were "normal" it was still three hours away from work to get a new license in person.

Why won't the democRATS just give everyone an ID?!?!

How fast do you think declarations of tyranny from Tucker Carlson et al. will emerge when the Democratic governor of North Carolina starts giving away IDs to people to try and meet the unfunded ID mandate from the "conservative" legislature?

Tucker: "This is government mind control at its finest folks! There "giving" {*exaggerated air quotes} away IDs to try and track and control the population. With facial recognition software and these new "IDs"{exaggerated air quotes again} the democRATS and the DEEP STATE will be be able to track your every move! Well I say NO to the tyranny of the LEFT! I say stand up and FIGHT for your freedoms! Quick note before we go, last week when I was outraged and said that new soft-drink sugar content labels were a violation of your 2nd amendment and that you should fight tyranny, I meant the 1st amendment and I did not literally mean to encourage you to start shooting vending machines, someone might get hurt folks. Just wanted to say that on air before the lawsuits are filed, anyway, FIGHT the ID thing, for sure though!"

step 1: Fabricate a problem and declare it's probably happening, in fact it's probably rampant even though we can't find evidence.
step 2: Ram through a solution to the fake problem that creates a whole slew of other problems
step 3: Declare that the opposition political party should be the ones to fix the new problems created by our bad solution to a fake problem
step 4: blame the opposition for not solving the problem created by our bad solution to a fake problem and conclude that the opposition must not really care about the people affected by the problems we created
step 5: sit back, win elections, profit...

Which step is "pretending to care" ???

The pretending to care part is when I became convinced WokeandBroke really was jhmd

Fitting that a whitewashed defense of voter suppression efforts is presented by a poster attempting to whitewash his past shitty takes by changing his handle. Misdirection and obfuscation extends to all facets of a pubs life I guess.

Or Democrats could solve the problem of allegedly large numbers of their voters being political and economically disenfranchised with a single policy memo.

Democrats need to fix this problem that we created as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Since people were catching on that voter fraud isn't really an issue, Republicans shouted the big lie to shake confidence in elections in order to use that as a justification for making it more difficult to vote.

Everything Republicans do is to maintain power in order to cut taxes and regulations for the rich. They bring their base along with made up culture war fear mongering.

I grew up in the reddest part of Florida and I will say I literally just learned from that tweet above that there is a Confederate Memorial Day in the state.

Well the Republicans celebrated it.

Well I mean they celebrate the insurrection so they are consistent.

Jhmd must be so proud of his party and the $ he sends them

I was referring to the voter suppression bill Republicans passed.

Conservatives vs liberals
Black vs white
Rich vs poor
Gay vs straight
Christianity vs religion
Keep the masses fighting each other and make every problem bigger than it is and no one is strong enough in numbers to effectively influence true change. I realize there are issues on both sides that the other will never agree on but we all are not as different as we are led to believe.

Cops doing their part to suppress the vote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-georgia-deputy-called-beating-192049102.html

A former Georgia sheriff's deputy gloated in an extremist group chat that he had illegal weapons and that he "beat the s---" out of a Black man during an arrest, adding that it was a "sweet stress relief," according to media reports and court documents.

The FBI discovered the racist comments made by Cody Richard Griggers, 28, in the group chat last August, while they were searching through the phone records of a different extremist, according to court documents and The Washington Post. The group chat was dubbed "Shadow Moses or "Shadmo."

In the group chat, Griggers also said he planned to charge Black people to prevent them from voting, according to an affidavit from an FBI agent.

"It's a sign of beautiful things to come. Also, I'm going to charge them with whatever felonies I can to take away their ability to vote," Griggers said, according to the documents.

They never stopped.

Back