Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495455565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1213

Thread: Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

  1. #1161

  2. #1162
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,423
    Much of Florida's Republican advantage has come from vote-by-mail by the elderly and military. They're risking it because one time during a pandemic, Democrats largely voted by mail too.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...3b5_story.html

    In fact, new research by the University of Florida’s Smith found that the use of mail voting among Republicans is more extensive than GOP voters themselves recognize.


    He found that state records showed that 18.2 percent of Florida Republicans who said they did not plan to vote by mail in the fall actually did so in the end. In other words, even among Republican voters who supported Trump and signaled mail-vote hesitancy, the desire to vote that way prevailed.


    And that signals a potential miscalculation by the GOP, Smith said.


    “Make no mistake: Senate Bill 90 targets newly registered and younger voters, African Americans, as well as Democrats, who disproportionately switched to requesting and voting a mail ballot in November due to health concerns,” Smith said. “The GOP leadership has discounted any collateral damage, calculating that the benefit to the party outweighs any harm done to its party faithful.”



  3. #1163
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Much of Florida's Republican advantage has come from vote-by-mail by the elderly and military. They're risking it because one time during a pandemic, Democrats largely voted by mail too.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...3b5_story.html
    And they still won the state by a few hundred thousand votes, so basically they are taking away their own advantage to feed trump's ego.
    Birds are real.

  4. #1164
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    And they still won the state by a few hundred thousand votes, so basically they are taking away their own advantage to feed trump's ego.
    The crazy stats of 70% of republicans thinking it was rigged has to just kill them forever.

  5. #1165
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,423
    Quote Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
    The crazy stats of 70% of republicans thinking it was rigged has to just kill them forever.
    You’ve got a bunch of Republicans who won elections with likely the highest effort vote totals ever and run their state legislatures by a large margin arguing that those elections were unfair.

  6. #1166
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    And they still won the state by a few hundred thousand votes, so basically they are taking away their own advantage to feed trump's ego.
    yeah they gotta mollify the true leaders of the party:


  7. #1167
    JIM CROW NOW IN MINNESOTA!!111!!

    https://www.startribune.com/minnesot...ent/600053138/

    The Minnesota Senate on Monday passed a requirement that voters present photo identification at the polls, a longtime GOP priority with little to no chance of becoming law this year under the state's divided government.

    Republican allegations of massive election fraud and Democratic accusations of a nationwide GOP campaign to restrict voting rights were on full display in the hourslong debate before a party-line vote.

    "Millions of Americans are now lacking trust in our system," said state Sen. Scott Newman, a Hutchinson Republican who sponsored the legislation. "This is one of the fastest and easiest ways we can restore their faith and protect the rights of all legal voters."

    Under the proposal, Minnesotans would be required to have a valid government-issued photo ID such as a driver's license to cast a ballot. Those without one would be able to get a free "voter ID" card issued by the state.

    Anyone who does not have a photo ID on Election Day could cast a provisional ballot and follow up to prove that person's identity to election officials
    .
    The bill would also allow voters who cannot provide documentation proving their eligibility to sign an affidavit affirming that they are legal to vote.

  8. #1168
    Gots t' make them 'lections moar sickure!
    I love mankind...it’s people I can’t stand!!

  9. #1169
    What problem do the "unaffiliated" like ConnorEl have with an ID requirement to vote if the state is willing to provide a voter ID card free of charge?

    And this bill doesn't even deny the right to vote to those without an ID as long as they sign an affidavit.

    So again I ask... why does the Democratic Party and the "unaffiliated" have an issue with the proposal linked above in MN?

  10. #1170
    well, it's not gonna become law anyway due to the Dem controlled state House and governor

  11. #1171
    OK - But it still doesn't answer the question.

    What issue do you have with the above proposal other than the fact it was pushed by politicians with a (R) behind their names?

    Allegedly you guys are itching to discuss policy in good faith. Now is your opportunity.

  12. #1172
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    What problem do the "unaffiliated" like ConnorEl have with an ID requirement to vote if the state is willing to provide a voter ID card free of charge?

    And this bill doesn't even deny the right to vote to those without an ID as long as they sign an affidavit.

    So again I ask... why does the Democratic Party and the "unaffiliated" have an issue with the proposal linked above in MN?
    Looks like maybe you are asking a good faith question so here is an earnest response. Just so long as the voter id cards are in fact free and easy to get I don't really have a problem with this policy. But it does put in place an impediment to voting that there is no evidence is necessary and, in my experience as a 10-year alabama resident, this seemingly reasonable and minor impediment also tends to be the first step in excluding poor people or certain demographics from voting. The second step is closing all the voter ID offices in poor areas or in black neighborhoods and counties so it becomes very hard for some people to get their required ID, as happened in Alabama in 2016 and 2020. So in isolation, it is not a terrible idea to require a photo ID, but in the larger context of political maneuvering it tends to be part of a larger problem.
    Birds are real.

  13. #1173
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    OK - But it still doesn't answer the question.

    What issue do you have with the above proposal other than the fact it was pushed by politicians with a (R) behind their names?

    Allegedly you guys are itching to discuss policy in good faith. Now is your opportunity.
    birdman stated better than me, but I essentially agree with what he says. the implementation for getting the free ID would need further explaining. generally for the crowd that does not have IDs it is difficult for them to do something like go to the DMV to get an ID whereas voting can be made accessible from home or mass trips to the polls are generally arranged.

  14. #1174
    Can try google: "is free voter id really free?".
    I love mankind...it’s people I can’t stand!!

  15. #1175
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    What problem do the "unaffiliated" like ConnorEl have with an ID requirement to vote if the state is willing to provide a voter ID card free of charge?

    And this bill doesn't even deny the right to vote to those without an ID as long as they sign an affidavit.

    So again I ask... why does the Democratic Party and the "unaffiliated" have an issue with the proposal linked above in MN?
    so the Republicans want to charge taxpayers more money for something that's unnecessary? sounds about right

  16. #1176

  17. #1177
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,423
    Greg is a little late to the party.

    Loyalty to Trump and his lies isn’t the most important thing Republicans are asserting here. Instead, Republicans may be unshackling themselves from any obligation to acquiesce to future presidential election outcomes they don’t like — that is, liberating themselves to overturn those outcomes by any means necessary.
    I think that's the case for any election going forward except maybe in the bluest of areas. The GOP has a professional outrage machine on call to claim any election was stolen from them.

  18. #1178
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    he GOP has a professional outrage machine on call to claim any election was stolen from them.

  19. #1179
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    so the Republicans want to charge taxpayers more money for something that's unnecessary? sounds about right
    Should be plenty in the government coffers after defunding the police in Minneapolis to pay for something as simple as a voter ID.

  20. #1180
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Should be plenty in the government coffers after defunding the police in Minneapolis to pay for something as simple as a voter ID.
    Free IDs that solve real-world problems? There's just no money for that. You can't get anything by the deficit hawks on the left.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •