• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

So CA, NY and DE allow for the Secretary of State to be overruled arbitrarily? Or how those states allow a partisan hack to overthrow the results from a county or precinct whose tally they don't like? Or allows polls to be closed even on election day before people get off work?

In this context, "hurting" Georgia voters is treating them like they live in Delaware, Virginia, New York, California, North Carolina and Illinois.

Virginia legislature just passed a Voting Rights Act.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/202...its-own-voting-rights-act-heres-what-it-does/

Georgia is going in the other direction. That's a problem. There is no good reason for a state to make it harder to vote.

Furthermore, comparing a single aspect of the Georgia law to the same aspect some other states is pretty misleading if you ignore the rest of the bill and/or the voting situation already present. (For example, comparing the number of early voting days in GA and CO while ignoring the fact that CO is mostly mail-in).

Shouldn’t this harm rural people at a higher rate than inner city folks?

In some ways, such as transportation. But for inner city residents, there are likely fewer offices per capita, making waits significantly longer.

So let me see if I have this lefty talking point correct... The same out-of-control and insane Rudy Giulani who failed to convince the state legislators to overturn Biden's victory because there was no evidence to support somehow carried enough clout with the same legislators and is directly responsible for this new law?

Is that accurate?

Honestly had no idea what dipshitson was even talking about so I googled and found a CNN article (shocker). But this was the interesting line:

"The secretary of state did a great job. I think that was one of the parts, too, that concerned me about the final passage of the law, which ultimately was a culmination of Democratic and Republican ideas," Duncan told CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/politics/geoff-duncan-voter-fraud-cnntv/index.html

Who knew the Democratic Party was back in the JIM CROW business??? It's like traveling back in time 60 to 70 years!!!

If the GA Lt Gov says the law was bipartisan, it must be true!

So let me see if I have this lefty talking point correct... The same out-of-control and insane Rudy Giulani who failed to convince the state legislators to overturn Biden's victory because there was no evidence to support somehow carried enough clout with the same legislators and is directly responsible for this new law?

Is that accurate?

Honestly had no idea what dipshitson was even talking about so I googled and found a CNN article (shocker). But this was the interesting line:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/politics/geoff-duncan-voter-fraud-cnntv/index.html

Who knew the Democratic Party was back in the JIM CROW business??? It's like traveling back in time 60 to 70 years!!!

Sublime stupidity.

I quoted the trumpublican Lt Gov. He said the quiet part out loud during an interview. Trump and Rudy's lies, as labeled by his own words, sparked this latest round of voter suppression.

Will Governor Northam be signing the bill in blackface or a white robe?

Oh snap! We got got!!

He may even gather a small group of non-partisan old white men to watch while he signs with a painting of a plantation in the background that was known to use enslaved people for their labor.

Hey...you know it wuz them thar suthern DEMOCRATS (back in tha day...) whut wuz KKK an' aginst intergration an' blacks votin' an' whutnot.

Virginia legislature just passed a Voting Rights Act.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/202...its-own-voting-rights-act-heres-what-it-does/

Georgia is going in the other direction. That's a problem. There is no good reason for a state to make it harder to vote.

Furthermore, comparing a single aspect of the Georgia law to the same aspect some other states is pretty misleading if you ignore the rest of the bill and/or the voting situation already present. (For example, comparing the number of early voting days in GA and CO while ignoring the fact that CO is mostly mail-in).

Here's how to vote absentee in Virginia. You have to apply. Just. Like. Georgia.

https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/

APPLYING TO VOTE ABSENTEE BY MAIL
Apply online to vote by mail
All PAPER absentee application forms can be found on our Voter Forms page >>>
Military and overseas voters can find specific information regarding absentee voting on our Military and Overseas page.
After applying, you can check to see if your absentee application was received, and whether your ballot was sent and received by going to our Citizen Portal.

Here's how to vote absentee in Virginia. You have to apply. Just. Like. Georgia.

https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/

APPLYING TO VOTE ABSENTEE BY MAIL
Apply online to vote by mail
All PAPER absentee application forms can be found on our Voter Forms page >>>
Military and overseas voters can find specific information regarding absentee voting on our Military and Overseas page.
After applying, you can check to see if your absentee application was received, and whether your ballot was sent and received by going to our Citizen Portal.

Are you a fucking idiot? He just said:

Junebug, just because an argument works on your Matt Gaetz fan Facebook page it doesn’t mean it will work somewhere else. But you can tell them you totally OWNED the libs if it makes you feel better.

Are you a fucking idiot? He just said:

I don't think he is, but he's an excellent troll. He is immensely successful at getting other posters riled up and responding to him with his usual tactics of strawman arguments, cherrypicking, goalpost moving, and so forth. It's really a masterclass in trollography TBH. Even his current screen name is dragging that troll line through the waters of OGBoards. Bravo!

No, he's the worst kind of idiot. He thinks he's a fucking genius, but completely lacks any common sense.

Good read about the challenges of getting a "free ID" in Georgia.

[h=1]The Atlanta Objective: Free ID is a Myth[/h][h=3]It should be easy to get everyone ID in Georgia. It's not. That's not an accident.[/h]https://theatlantaobjective.substack.com/p/the-atlanta-objective-free-id-is

The half-life of a legal ID for people experiencing homelessness is about three months.
People steal them, because people steal anything on the street. It’s stuff in a knapsack to rip off in the middle of the night. Someone might lose it after cops raid an encampment. Losing it just adds bureaucratic hell to the regular kind.
Fun fact: if you find someone’s lost license, you can drop it into a mailbox and the Post Office will deliver it to the address, free. Which is great … if you still live there.
When I started working on social problems for the business community in Atlanta, I was shocked at how many people didn’t have state-issued identification. Every other person sleeping around Woodruff Park downtown had lost their card, or more often had it stolen. Every once in a while, someone would tell me that the Fulton County Jail kept it along with their stuff after an arrest, which I found hard to believe. Once.

The new elections law raises the requirements for ID to vote. In principle, I’m indifferent to that. It should be a negligible burden. But it’s really not.
There are entire ministries devoted to replacing ID in Atlanta, because the process is complicated and difficult. Losing an ID effectively traps someone on the street because housing providers require ID to obtain shelter.
A few years ago, I wanted to create a digital vault to keep authentication documents, secured on a blockchain and unlocked using a fingerprint or retinal scan. I thought I was so clever. I started meeting with the folks at Georgia’s Department of Driver’s Services to get started.
Nope. Their staff attorneys shut me down.
They told me that Georgia law explicitly forbids state agencies from using biometric markers as a means of obtaining a state ID. Apparently, this stems from “mark of the beast” legislation, which is why you no longer need to give your fingerprints to get a driver’s license. The corollary here: it means you generally have to pay someone to get proof that you are who you say you are.

Yes, the birth certificate website you need to get photo ID was demanding photo ID to get a birth certificate. Whither Texas, Georgia. Shades, I think, of how Alabama shut down a bunch of their drivers license offices in the Black Belt after raising voter ID requirements.
No state offers a free birth certificate. The cheapest is North Dakota, at $8. Michigan is $34. The average is around $20. Case workers regularly request two or three copies of birth certificates. For people wrestling with chronic homelessness, the odds are they’ll need a spare in under a year.
As you’re thinking about this ID stuff, keep in mind that roughly one in forty Georgians have nothing. That is, they have an annual income between $700 and zero. One in 16 people in metro Atlanta have less than $10,000 in annual income.
So, sure. We’re talking about people who are having trouble keeping a roof over their head. Most people aren’t struggling like this. But virtually everyone you see on the street is a citizen with the same right to vote that you might have. Keep in mind that about four out of ten people who live in metro Atlanta were born in another state and one in seven were born in another country.

My mother, born and married in Massachusetts, divorced in California, lived in Kentucky for a while before moving here to Georgia. Her drivers license in Kentucky didn't match her birth certificate because she kept her married name, but had no legal change-of-name paperwork and nothing in her divorce decree about names.
It took a $200 name change, 18 months and the intervention of a state rep to get an ID she could use to vote here.
It’s hard not to look at all of this as intentionally convoluted. Asking for an ID to vote seems perfectly reasonable. We can’t ignore the rest of this stuff.

The whole goal of this legislation and past legislation is to marginalize that 1% of voters they need to tip the scales in their favor.

Good read about the challenges of getting a "free ID" in Georgia.

[h=1]The Atlanta Objective: Free ID is a Myth[/h][h=3]It should be easy to get everyone ID in Georgia. It's not. That's not an accident.[/h]https://theatlantaobjective.substack.com/p/the-atlanta-objective-free-id-is

The whole goal of this legislation and past legislation is to marginalize that 1% of voters they need to tip the scales in their favor.

I can confirm this experience in NC. I volunteer at Roof Above in Charlotte, and one of my tasks as a counselor is to help people replace lost/stolen IDs. If you had an ID in NC that wasn't expired, it's not too bad - just go to the social security office and spend a full day getting a replacement card, then go to the DMV and get a replacement card. Oh wait - sorry, SSA wants to see your ID before giving you a replacement card, and DMV won't give you an ID without another form of ID.

And don't even get me started on if you don't have an ID already. Then you need a birth certificate. For you or me to get a birth certificate for ourselves is a pain in the ass - involving a lot of online paperwork and waiting 6 weeks. And we're good at internet navigation, and we have a constant mailing address, and we have money to pay for the costs. The homeless don't have any of that. We give them 2 hours on a computer at the library and they spend it searching for "how do I get a birth certificate for free." I even dealt with one guy whose parents had been transient, and he had no idea where or when he was born. He THOUGHT it was California. Good luck getting a birth certificate in those circumstances. That's when I have to call in the professional social workers for help.

The list of things PhDeac believes Democrat voters are incapable of is remarkable.

Getting an ID.
Sending United States Mail.
Remembering to drink water.

Back