• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

Can you imagine if MLB threatened to move Spring Training out of Florida and Arizona?

The Democrat fundraising push is writing itself.

The Republicans are going to cancel you if you don’t get in line with their anti-Democratic agenda.

Good grief.

That screed by Scott is pure theatrics and doublespeak. And dishonest projection.

And clearly displays the GOP playbook.

DC Statehood bill passes the House on a party line vote. We need to take a second to appreciate that something that was controversial among Democrats as recent as a few years ago had unanimous support from House Democrats.

I think people are going to have to actually try to see why the other side thinks like they do. I will be honest and say I feel like if it’s possible for either party to commit voter fraud then why not require a photo Id? I realize that lower income population may not be as likely to have a photo id but in most states you can get a photo id issued on line through the DMV or the department of public health. If some members of the Republican Party want to require photo id just to hinder the minority vote then that is wrong and I don’t agree with that at all. My only reason for wanting the photo id is to prevent fraud, not to suppress a minority vote. I think liberals would see me as only wanting to suppress a minority vote that will likely go to a democrat instead of just wanting an even playing field. If a liberal beats a conservative through a fair election then so be it but I just see it as trying to make the vote as legal as possible? I do see how liberals could see me as wanting to increase my advantage when in reality I’m not.

Voter fraud isn’t really a thing. The whole purpose for dwelling on it is to justify restrictions on voting rights.

I think people are going to have to actually try to see why the other side thinks like they do. I will be honest and say I feel like if it’s possible for either party to commit voter fraud then why not require a photo Id? I realize that lower income population may not be as likely to have a photo id but in most states you can get a photo id issued on line through the DMV or the department of public health. If some members of the Republican Party want to require photo id just to hinder the minority vote then that is wrong and I don’t agree with that at all. My only reason for wanting the photo id is to prevent fraud, not to suppress a minority vote. I think liberals would see me as only wanting to suppress a minority vote that will likely go to a democrat instead of just wanting an even playing field. If a liberal beats a conservative through a fair election then so be it but I just see it as trying to make the vote as legal as possible? I do see how liberals could see me as wanting to increase my advantage when in reality I’m not.

There are two main issues with this approach. First, as others have noted, voter fraud is not a problem in the US. So this is an attempt to address a made up problem. Second, it can be very challenging for people with limited resources to obtain and maintain an ID card. So voter ID cards are a way of limiting who votes.

That is the goal of these laws - to limit who can vote. For example, the new law in Montana prohibits the use of a college ID for voting. If voter fraud was their concern, a college issued ID would be a very secure form of picture ID to prevent fraud. But their real goal is to limit who votes, and one group they want to limit is college students.

Basically none of us are homeless so it’s hard to relate but if you are homeless it’s very hard to keep an ID, because you have no safe place to store it and others will want to steal it constantly. My father, when he died had his license expired for a few years because he wasn’t terribly mobile.

Do you think they’re going to come out and acknowledge all that? Of course not, other than Trump who was dumb enough to blurt it out.

But it’s not complicated to see who it will obviously affect.

Back