• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Women's basketball

I agree, they did settle too often and there were poor on the glass. But down the stretch Hoover used her timeouts wisely, and drew up some exceptional plays that got her playmakers open, the players just couldn’t put it in the hole like they normally do. Conti missed a pretty easy layup opportunity created by a nice play call. Definitely wasn’t a perfect game, but I thought it was handled nearly perfectly under 1 minute left in the game.

Unfortunately, it reminded me a lot of Manning. When the game hung in the balance there was no coaching activity or adjustments. Then, when we got down in the final minute there was a frantic flurry of timeouts, defense/offense subs, etc. Manning does that often - he lets the game get away and then actively coaches once we are down 10 with a minute to go.

Basketball games can be won at different times. Sometimes it’s in the first 10 minutes (see our men’s game at Duke this year or home last year vs UNC). Pitt was coming of a 44(!) point loss and we were up 10 early. That’s when the coaching should have been active - to put the game out of reach.

Hoover 35 - 89 in ACC games. Manning type numbers. As mentioned before, unless this team finishes strong, i would fire her at the end of the year.

Even when the team looks good for good stretches of the season, we can never put together an entire year without terrible losses or stretches of play.

This year ETSU has 7 wins and Pitt 4. We lost to both.

Yeah, it was a very bad loss. I guess since the men have sucked for so long, I was getting interested in the women since they were having some success, but last night pretty much killed that. Bad, bad loss, you can't loss to a team that is winless in the conference, especially when you were up by 12 at one point.

Hoover 35 - 89 in ACC games. Manning type numbers. As mentioned before, unless this team finishes strong, i would fire her at the end of the year.

Only if Manning goes too. We don't need Currie getting distracted from his #1 priority.

Fire them both. Currie needs a clean start with his people.

Hope so. But I worry because Hoover is his people. She played at Wake when he worked in the AD as a student.

Really bad time of the season to flame out. Goodbye any scant hopes of an NCAA bid.

Women are collapsing. Another bad loss tonight. I think it's time for Hoover to go.

Looks like Currie was at the game based on his Twitter account. Not good for Hoover.

Looks like Currie was at the game based on his Twitter account. Not good for Hoover.

You know, I was on her side for a while. But she needs to win more of these games down the stretch for her to keep her job. I thought she’d at least be able to get 1 out of Pitt and Notre Dame. Pitt really isn’t a good team. I thought her game plan was fine, but her players just didn’t perform well down the stretch in that one. Kind of the opposite tonight. The players had a lead, and then it was blown in the fourth quarter. Very disappointing. If she doesn’t win 5 or so more games, we may have both basketball coaches on their way out.

The thing that disappoints me about Hoover though is she cares. She wants to win, and next year she would have the players to win. She’s not going to lose nearly anybody worth a shit, and she’s gaining some of the most talented recruits she’s ever had. It would hurt to see her go when maybe things were finally shaping up for a never respectable program. Men’s basketball is a completely different story.

Thanks for your thoughts - sounds like she deserves one more year. If the recruits are very good, we would likely lose them with a change too. In our men's game, the entire situation needs a fresh start for everyone.

I mean, it's pretty disappointing how well we played through a fairly tough stretch of our schedule. We enter a super easy stretch and we are 0 and three. And that's been a problem even with our better teams of the Hoover era we just cannot avoid a stretch of the Season where we just look like crap and lose some terrible games to bad teams.

You know, I was on her side for a while. But she needs to win more of these games down the stretch for her to keep her job. I thought she’d at least be able to get 1 out of Pitt and Notre Dame. Pitt really isn’t a good team. I thought her game plan was fine, but her players just didn’t perform well down the stretch in that one. Kind of the opposite tonight. The players had a lead, and then it was blown in the fourth quarter. Very disappointing. If she doesn’t win 5 or so more games, we may have both basketball coaches on their way out.

The thing that disappoints me about Hoover though is she cares. She wants to win, and next year she would have the players to win. She’s not going to lose nearly anybody worth a shit, and she’s gaining some of the most talented recruits she’s ever had. It would hurt to see her go when maybe things were finally shaping up for a never respectable program. Men’s basketball is a completely different story.

I don't know. I'd really like to see her be successful, I think we'd be hard pressed to find someone who cares more about our program then she does. However, she's got to deliver at some point. If she does get another year, she should have to show a lot of progress, no excuses. If she doesn't, time to move on.

I mean, it's pretty disappointing how well we played through a fairly tough stretch of our schedule. We enter a super easy stretch and we are 0 and three. And that's been a problem even with our better teams of the Hoover era we just cannot avoid a stretch of the Season where we just look like crap and lose some terrible games to bad teams.

Which is why, despite the recruits coming in, it's time to go. There's an obvious issue with coaching. It doesn't seem as glaringly obvious because it's compared to our men's program, but it's still there. The excuse for a while now has been injuries, but this season has shown we have enough talent to compete, but coaching sets out ceiling lower than our potential.

Back