• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Women's basketball

Would’ve been nice to have landed Elizabeth. She’s a phenomenal student athlete.

I do wonder why we’ve struck out on recent Deacon basketball daughters...both of Rodney Rogers girls and Lucky Rudd come to mind.

My guess would be we don't hire young, personable, energetic driven coaches who can light up recruiting fires- pretty much across the board in higher profile sports. If you were a legacy, why would you encourage your kid to join a moribund program with no real zest for getting better?

My guess would be we don't hire young, personable, energetic driven coaches who can light up recruiting fires- pretty much across the board in higher profile sports. If you were a legacy, why would you encourage your kid to join a moribund program with no real zest for getting better?

I would guess it is just a small sample size. Our men’s team has had several kids of former ACC players - Wright, Childress, Bilas - and Manning doesn’t exactly have the qualities you list.

I would guess it is just a small sample size. Our men’s team has had several kids of former ACC players - Wright, Childress, Bilas - and Manning doesn’t exactly have the qualities you list.
True but he was an all time great college player.

Jen Hoover doesn’t carry the same prestige.

I feel like Wake should be easier to sell for women’s basketball currently. If you are a woman, and you’re trying to play professionally, that’s great. But the average salary is around 130k a year, and that’s if you make the league. In Wake’s case, they can sell to the players that you have the chance to go and play professionally if you’re good enough. We have the people and the facilities to get you there. But we also are going to give you a free education where you can make 130k a year.

It’s pretty interesting. I think Hoover has the program in the best direction it’s been in in probably 3 decades. I’d keep her on board for one more year, and see how things go. She’s got some big recruits coming in next year, and she’s not losing any big contributors from this year. Currie needs to center his, and his staffs attention on men’s basketball. The women are in a better place now versus when they hired Hoover. That’s not the case for Manning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARd814Cjs2Q

Read an article about this in the GBorro paper, and there's a photo of the family where Ralph has his jacket off to reveal he's wearing a Wake t-shirt. If you go to his profile page where he's the high school principal it's clear he's a big supporter of his daughter (and hence VT women's basketball) and the Deacs. But yes, she'd have been a good addition to the Wake family both on and off the court.

It’s pretty interesting. I think Hoover has the program in the best direction it’s been in in probably 3 decades. I’d keep her on board for one more year, and see how things go. She’s got some big recruits coming in next year, and she’s not losing any big contributors from this year. Currie needs to center his, and his staffs attention on men’s basketball. The women are in a better place now versus when they hired Hoover. That’s not the case for Manning.

I'd consider Alex Sharp, at 12.4 points and 8.8 rebounds per game, a pretty big contributor.

Would’ve been nice to have landed Elizabeth. She’s a phenomenal student athlete.

I do wonder why we’ve struck out on recent Deacon basketball daughters...both of Rodney Rogers girls and Lucky Rudd come to mind.

I would assume it's because we suck, play well below our potential from a conference/budget/resources aspect, and that our AD has shown no interest in changing that. Wake insiders would know that more than anyone.

Coach Hoover knows how to coach in late game situations. They were down four, and were able to claw and scratch. Team now going into OT against Carolina. Home crowd looks quite large for the women’s program today. Sure there’s a whole lot of blue, but it looks like the most Wake fans there I’ve seen in a while.

Hoover should come back next year.

calling up great play after great play. i’ve been really impressed. this team doesn’t have a lot of talent, and hoover is just making it work. talent is coming i. though. currie would be dumb to fire her now.

Awesome! Great win!

Huge win for Hoover. She’s beaten both Duke and Carolina this year. I think it’ll pretty much confirm that she’ll be back. I think it’ll be a good thing if she sticks around too. One less thing for Currie to have to worry about over the next month or two.

I feel like Wake should be easier to sell for women’s basketball currently. If you are a woman, and you’re trying to play professionally, that’s great. But the average salary is around 130k a year, and that’s if you make the league. In Wake’s case, they can sell to the players that you have the chance to go and play professionally if you’re good enough. We have the people and the facilities to get you there. But we also are going to give you a free education where you can make 130k a year.

I agree with this, but I hope she is able to build some depth so we can get out of this long cycle where an injury to one or two key players derails the season. Also, some of the losses have been awful, [Redacted]-level bad. NCAA or bust next season.

She’s had talent and gone nowhere. I guess give her another year to see. Maybe she’s safe for sure if we make the NIT. If not, no guarantees.

I would much rather my daughter have a degree from Wake than some school like vatech if you are giving her a free ride.

I would much rather my daughter have a degree from Wake than some school like vatech if you are giving her a free ride.

They still have to qualify to get in and I bet the lack of success makes the qualifications even harder to wave. If you aren’t a good team then you prop up the GPA of the successful teams. That’s how it is everywhere.

She’s had talent and gone nowhere. I guess give her another year to see. Maybe she’s safe for sure if we make the NIT. If not, no guarantees.

I disagree with the talent part. This is the first year I’ve seen real talent playable. She’s had some talent previously, but almost all of it was sitting on the bench due to injuries. Good to see it all starting to come together.

I disagree with the talent part. This is the first year I’ve seen real talent playable. She’s had some talent previously, but almost all of it was sitting on the bench due to injuries. Good to see it all starting to come together.

True but the number of injuries is always a question mark to me about conditioning/practice etc.

Back