• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

“Assistant special teams coordinator/nickelback coach” is interesting.

Yeeeaaah ... my initial reaction is that naming an "assistant special teams coordinator" is an over-correction. I'm obviously not a football coach, but I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between coaching cornerback skills and nickelback skills.

Anyone know why Brad Sherrod left? That’s kind of odd I thought he was one of our better assistants

Anyone know why Brad Sherrod left? That’s kind of odd I thought he was one of our better assistants

What makes you think he was one of our better ones? He was let go, so obviously he wasn’t meeting Clawson’s standards.

I think announcing Ryan Crawford for nickels is a weird thing. I just think he was given a weird title. You’d think he would just take the title outside linebackers, or rovers (which is basically a nickel back in our defense). It seems to me Crawford is basically just taking Sherrod’s old job. Maybe Sherrod doesn’t have as much experience at coaching corners, and is more linebacker focused. But the linebacker coach is now the former Director of Recruiting. Clearly, he just wasn’t doing his job well enough at Wake Forest. Hope he finds a place somewhere else.

Anyone know anything on Jay Sawvel? That dude has gone ghost mode. I hope Sherrod doesn’t experience the same thing. Football is a tough business, that’s for sure.

Don't care what his title is as long as he can teach how to tackle. CTO works for me - chief tackling officer.

Don't care what his title is as long as he can teach how to tackle. CTO works for me - chief tackling officer.

Good point.
Our tackling has not been good the past few years, imho.

We will have some big question marks on next year's team but none bigger than the OL and at CB. Personally I don't feel real good about the OL but think we will be acceptable at CB. The new additions to the coaching staff look pretty good on paper so maybe they can infuse some more variety in out game plans?

I read he wanted to kick more field goals. Can't imagine he'll have opportunities with sciba around.... Unless maybe clawson uses him for 45+ attempts

Doubt he was getting many scholly offers to be a starting FG kicker

Spring game will be April 4, 3 p.m., admission is free.

I'd imagine Jack Crane entered the portal wanting to be a team's top kicker and reevaluated options. Also would imagine he and Sciba will be in something of a competition -- don't think it hurts to push Sciba, as good as he's been.

Last I heard on Sawvel he was taking this past season off, and then going to look for a position coach job or analyst spot. Seeing as there's been no announcement on him joining a staff, figure he's an analyst somewhere -- those jobs seem to be kept quiet for longer than usual.

Spring game will be April 4, 3 p.m., admission is free.

I'd imagine Jack Crane entered the portal wanting to be a team's top kicker and reevaluated options. Also would imagine he and Sciba will be in something of a competition -- don't think it hurts to push Sciba, as good as he's been.

Last I heard on Sawvel he was taking this past season off, and then going to look for a position coach job or analyst spot. Seeing as there's been no announcement on him joining a staff, figure he's an analyst somewhere -- those jobs seem to be kept quiet for longer than usual.

I'm surprised there wasn't a power conference team desperate enough to take on a grad transfer kicker and give him a legit shot.

I'm surprised there wasn't a power conference team desperate enough to take on a grad transfer kicker and give him a legit shot.

Maybe there was, but he didn't want to go to school there. This is a kicker, probably not your average grad transfer with NFL delusions. Wake's academics probably mattered.

Back