• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

Maybe there was, but he didn't want to go to school there. This is a kicker, probably not your average grad transfer with NFL delusions. Wake's academics probably mattered.

Dreams not delusions, and without dreams what?

ESPN's SP+ rankings have us at 81 coming into next year. Just shows how ridiculous some of these advanced metric rankings are, particularly when some of the inputs can be subjective (note that UNC is 17 lol).

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...+-college-football-rankings-alabama-back-no-1

Metrics like he uses don't do well with unusual situations like Wake has at QB. Starting QB is gone. But the RS soph heir apparent has a season's worth of starts on his resume. Also it may undervalue Sage Surratt because he didn't play the last third of Wake's season.

His way of valuing recruits also works against Wake. Only the two most recent classes are given much weight. Clawson wants to be playing mostly '16s and '17s this season. Not '19s and '20s.

The key to the offense will be getting the O-line revamped so Hartman has time to throw. Are there two good offensive tackles on the roster? Losing Mike Edwards hurt.

Metrics like he uses don't do well with unusual situations like Wake has at QB. Starting QB is gone. But the RS soph heir apparent has a season's worth of starts on his resume. Also it may undervalue Sage Surratt because he didn't play the last third of Wake's season.

His way of valuing recruits also works against Wake. Only the two most recent classes are given much weight. Clawson wants to be playing mostly '16s and '17s this season. Not '19s and '20s.

The key to the offense will be getting the O-line revamped so Hartman has time to throw. Are there two good offensive tackles on the roster? Losing Mike Edwards hurt.

Clawson has for the most part seemed to try to get the best linemen on the field it seems, and not focused so much on who is a guard or tackle. I don't know if that is due to the style of blocking that we use with the RPO or not. So with that in mind, we might have had someone playing guard who is a more natural tackle, but not at the level that Herron and Benzinger were. From a standpoint of pure conjecture, we'll now have a huge body with tons of experience at guard in Terrance Davis so possibly Clawson sees either Nya or Maginn, the two returning guards with starts and a lot of snaps, as a possible tackle. Nash has had so little PT but supposedly has been pushing to get on the field so maybe it will finally be his time though hard to see him excelling at this stage. I'd also find it difficult to imagine Suhren as being any more than an emergency backup and practice body, even though he was one of our highest rated OL recruits. Rappleyea was getting some props last year in practice but never saw the field except in mop up duty but he's sort of next in line experience wise along with Spencer Clapp. Spring practice will be really huge to see where we stand as they'll be playing against our very deep defensive line. DeVonte Gordon could be a pleasant surprise as even though he's technically only a redshirt freshman, from an age standpoint, he'll be a 20 year old redshirt sophomore with his grey shirt year. He was supposed to be very athletic and if he's had enough time to recover that form then maybe he'll be the one to take that step up.

Admittedly, I went on and on here, which means there is no heir apparent ready to step in at tackle from anything that I've seen and will be watching any info Les and Conor post very closely when spring practice starts.

Clawson has for the most part seemed to try to get the best linemen on the field it seems, and not focused so much on who is a guard or tackle. I don't know if that is due to the style of blocking that we use with the RPO or not. So with that in mind, we might have had someone playing guard who is a more natural tackle, but not at the level that Herron and Benzinger were. From a standpoint of pure conjecture, we'll now have a huge body with tons of experience at guard in Terrance Davis so possibly Clawson sees either Nya or Maginn, the two returning guards with starts and a lot of snaps, as a possible tackle. Nash has had so little PT but supposedly has been pushing to get on the field so maybe it will finally be his time though hard to see him excelling at this stage. I'd also find it difficult to imagine Suhren as being any more than an emergency backup and practice body, even though he was one of our highest rated OL recruits. Rappleyea was getting some props last year in practice but never saw the field except in mop up duty but he's sort of next in line experience wise along with Spencer Clapp. Spring practice will be really huge to see where we stand as they'll be playing against our very deep defensive line. DeVonte Gordon could be a pleasant surprise as even though he's technically only a redshirt freshman, from an age standpoint, he'll be a 20 year old redshirt sophomore with his grey shirt year. He was supposed to be very athletic and if he's had enough time to recover that form then maybe he'll be the one to take that step up.

Admittedly, I went on and on here, which means there is no heir apparent ready to step in at tackle from anything that I've seen and will be watching any info Les and Conor post very closely when spring practice starts.

Another guy who could be a pleasant surprise is C.J. Elmonus. He'll be a rFr and was touted as a possible replacement for Herron. Spring and summer will show if he is ready or needs some more seasoning.

With Boogie back on the D-line, there is a good known quantity to measure against.

What about Elmonus? Can't teach 6'7", 285, and dude was getting some serious looks (Miami wanted him bad) late in the recruiting cycle.

Completely missed that Noah Turner transferred. Any idea why?

No concrete one(s), but he transferred to Elon. I'd guess playing time and/or closer to home -- but the latter would seem kinda silly since he's going from 45 minutes away to 5 minutes away.

Compiled an MTOW for a pre-spring practice depth chart.

There are two tentative dates for spring practices to have in mind: Feb. 24 we'll have a pre-spring presser with Clawson, and then the first practice will be the 28th.

Great writeup. OL and CB look like the 2 big question marks, with every other position group looking solid. I'm surprised they would consider moving such a successful Center over to Tackle, but I'm sure Nick knows what is best. Think the Stanford WR might backup Sage instead of the true Freshman?

No concrete one(s), but he transferred to Elon. I'd guess playing time and/or closer to home -- but the latter would seem kinda silly since he's going from 45 minutes away to 5 minutes away.

I thought Noah Turner was in line for a year or two as snapper while Zuhr got acclimated to college. Tough to have a guy like that leave.

Thought he would snap at Wake long enough to get his degree, then move on as a grad transfer once Zuhr earned the job. Maybe he got some news from the coaches that wasn't what he wanted to hear.

I thought Noah Turner was in line for a year or two as snapper while Zuhr got acclimated to college. Tough to have a guy like that leave.

Thought he would snap at Wake long enough to get his degree, then move on as a grad transfer once Zuhr earned the job. Maybe he got some news from the coaches that wasn't what he wanted to hear.

Was Turner on scholarship? And is Zuhr coming in on one? I have no idea - just wondering if a dynamic like that has something to do with it.

Was Turner on scholarship? And is Zuhr coming in on one? I have no idea - just wondering if a dynamic like that has something to do with it.

It could. I think Turner was a PWO++. Zuhr was given a scholarship.

Until Zuhr signed, I was expecting Turner to follow Diemel and get a 'ship in the fall after Dayton Diemel graduated. The signing of Zuhr ended that, I guess.

ETA:

Zuhr will need to be able to play from day 1. And stay healthy. I'm sure the centers and others have tried and will be backups. Throwing a fifteen yard pass from between your legs with your head upside down isn't easy.

Last edited:
Great writeup. OL and CB look like the 2 big question marks, with every other position group looking solid. I'm surprised they would consider moving such a successful Center over to Tackle, but I'm sure Nick knows what is best. Think the Stanford WR might backup Sage instead of the true Freshman?

Exactly where I think he fits in.

Not sure if this link has been posted on here, but I found this really helpful to get to know background on Stewart. Because honestly (and obviously), his numbers don't exactly jump off the page. But I think he'll be a nice stopgap for a year while they figure out if A.T. Perry can be a starter and develop Jahmal Banks.

Stewart is closing out the semester at Stanford and will be graduating in June with a degree in science and technology, with a concentration on innovation and organization. Once he gets to Wake Forest, he’ll be studying either liberal studies or sustainability.

That's a real nice combination.

That's a real nice combination.

I hope he takes a look at the one year Masters in Management program in the business school. "Liberal studies" likely wont give him the same career trajectory.

Regardless of which program that Stewart decides to take at Wake, he definitely appears to be a very bright guy.
Probably a one-percenter academically in the world of College football.

yes it does. Amazing how many majors for undergrads and advanced degrees have been added over the years. I was unaware Wake offered this.

Wake needs to maintain those niche graduate programs to have a program that isn't duplicated elsewhere for the grad transfer market.

Back