• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

Wake needs to maintain those niche graduate programs to have a program that isn't duplicated elsewhere for the grad transfer market.

They're also marketable programs in the real world as well. I'd be curious to see who the students are though.

I hope he takes a look at the one year Masters in Management program in the business school. "Liberal studies" likely wont give him the same career trajectory.

Every company is now interested in Sustainability. He's got Science and Technology, and Innovation, so that means any Tech company, I presume, would hire him in a flash. Right? Great combo.

I agree, Liberal Studies is crap.

Do not want.

https://twitter.com/les_johns/status/1232059073874538497?s=21

Here’s a clear hit on Newman’s performance at the end of the season:

With the experience difference between Hartman and the backups, is there a need to change offensive philosophy to reduce QB runs
Clawson: “To be very honest with you, a lot of the times we ran the ball with the quarterback last year weren’t designed runs. The ball should have been thrown. There were times where as part of our RPO system, the ball should have come out. The ball got run by the quarterback a much greater percentage of the time than we wanted it to or called for it to be run. One of the things that happened is when we lost two of our starting receivers, understandably there was a lack of confidence to make some of those throws. After we lost Sage (Surratt) and Scotty (Washington), I don’t know if we were as confident making those throws as we should have been. That ended up with us running the quarterback more than we wanted. I don’t think it was the design of the offense, as much as the execution of the offense. If you play quarterback in this offense and you have an opportunity to throw it in the RPO, you have to trust the receivers are going to get open. We struggled with that against Clemson and against Syracuse early. Then guys came to life. Kendall (Hinton) and Donavon made some plays. We didn’t look like that the first half of last year. It was when those two guys went down that the quarterback run became much heavier than we wanted it to be.”

Confirms what I thought in that Jamie was not running the offense as he should have been. It looked like he wasn’t confident in his receivers, or himself at the end of the season. I think Sam is going to end up being better for us next year than Jamie would have been. He also has a future, whereas Jamie would be in his last year in 2020.

TBF, Hartman got clobbered a lot a couple of years ago when he was the starter.

and a true freshman

he made better reads in 2019, and I would anticipate he'll continue to improve in 2020

As long as Hartman remembers that quarterback run is the last option, not the first, he should be OK. Running backs run. Quarterbacks throw. Receivers catch. If Sam remembers that and reads the D with that mindset, that part of the offense should be OK.

I'd prefer to have Newman back with WR depth that he has confidence in. I don't think we are better without Newman.
Clawson doesn't pull punches but I am surprised to see such an obvious criticism of a player. Maybe he didn't mean it that way and was really trying to acknowledge the perceived limitations of the WR after 2 guys went down. Still, ouch.

Is it really that much of a criticism that he didn't trust AT Perry, Waydale Jones, Greene in his first game, and a locked down Hinton vs. the 2nd best team in the nation?

A lot of us said exactly the same thing over the last two months. We had enough tape on Hartman this year to see the obvious difference. Made some sense - Hartman got more reps with 2nd team receivers who were in after Surratt and Washington went down.

Lots of trashy criticism of Newman after he announced he was transferring; this was not that. Honestly, I think Clawson would have said the exact same thing if Newman was returning.

He also confirmed that every year the QB position, like most, is an open competition. Newman was losing the advantage of Hartman having a redshirt year to burn, so I am sure that factored into Newman's decision.

Is it really that much of a criticism that he didn't trust AT Perry, Waydale Jones, Greene in his first game, and a locked down Hinton vs. the 2nd best team in the nation?

It depends on where Clawson thinks the real problem was: lack of talent at the receiver position or bad decision making to not get it to the receivers that were there. I read that as Clawson saying that Jamie didn't make the decisions they wanted him to. He didn't seem to make it clear that he agreed with Jamie's assessment that Jamie needed to run more and pass less.

It depends on where Clawson thinks the real problem was: lack of talent at the receiver position or bad decision making to not get it to the receivers that were there. I read that as Clawson saying that Jamie didn't make the decisions they wanted him to. He didn't seem to make it clear that he agreed with Jamie's assessment that Jamie needed to run more and pass less.

But then he said things got better once they were playing Cuse and Greene got a little experience.

But then he said things got better once they were playing Cuse and Greene got a little experience.

He said the receivers got better, he didn't say Newman did. Maybe that can be inferred, but he did say clearly say the QB did not make the decisions they wanted the second half of the year.

"We struggled with that against Clemson and against Syracuse early. Then guys came to life. Kendall (Hinton) and Donavon made some plays. We didn’t look like that the first half of last year. It was when those two guys went down that the quarterback run became much heavier than we wanted it to be."

They wanted him to force balls to inexperienced WR who he didn’t think were open.

As long as Hartman remembers that quarterback run is the last option, not the first, he should be OK. Running backs run. Quarterbacks throw. Receivers catch. If Sam remembers that and reads the D with that mindset, that part of the offense should be OK.

QB run depends on what the D gives you. It may not be the last option.

They wanted him to force balls to inexperienced WR who he didn’t think were open.

Or the QB just wasn't very good at short passes/ slants, and this affected his decisions

I wish we had Newman still here but I also think he ran it way more than the play was designed to do. It is sort of like a PG who lowers his head and goes to the bucket regardless of the defense, sometimes it seems Newman made up his mind to run even before the reads. With his size it may have seemed logical to him to keep it himself

Not to make this a pile on Newman thread, but I thought he got exposed a bit down the stretch as not being great at getting his eyes to the 3rd/4th receivers. And sometimes not the 2nd receivers. He could just lock in on Surratt and Washington knowing he could throw them a jump ball and there was a good chance that something positive would happen. Those guys made a lot of catches while being covered. Now he's locking in on a covered Claude, and the odds aren't as good on a jump ball ... and the pass rush is starting to get there ... so it's time to bail and run. I'm not saying that Hartman is the better QB, but he did seem to scan the field better and did seem to make more passes while scrambling out of the pocket.

I wish we had Newman still here but I also think he ran it way more than the play was designed to do. It is sort of like a PG who lowers his head and goes to the bucket regardless of the defense, sometimes it seems Newman made up his mind to run even before the reads. With his size it may have seemed logical to him to keep it himself

Even if the read is "run" that doesn't have to mean QB run. Newman could have made handoffs to Cade Carney or KWIII for runs.

I too would like to see a few additions to the play repertoire.

Orbit/jet sweep, with possible option pass as a variant.

Power I called handoff for short yardage situations. Two back set, with the best blocking RB as the up back, or use the best blocking tight end in that role. Change the line blocking so the O-line guys get to just push the defender downfield until the whistle. Let the Beef Boys have a play or two to be really aggressive.

Even an occasional triple option play from a two back set. QB is already trained to read the D. This would just change who the defenders being read are.

A few of these different plays would give opposing defensive coordinators more to think about than just disguising the actions of the defenders being read in the RPO.

Some of this might not be feasible with the offensive line in such flux. It may be enough to get them coordinated and doing a good job blocking for the basic RPO.

Not to make this a pile on Newman thread, but I thought he got exposed a bit down the stretch as not being great at getting his eyes to the 3rd/4th receivers. And sometimes not the 2nd receivers. He could just lock in on Surratt and Washington knowing he could throw them a jump ball and there was a good chance that something positive would happen. Those guys made a lot of catches while being covered. Now he's locking in on a covered Claude, and the odds aren't as good on a jump ball ... and the pass rush is starting to get there ... so it's time to bail and run. I'm not saying that Hartman is the better QB, but he did seem to scan the field better and did seem to make more passes while scrambling out of the pocket.

With all due respect, I read a number of articles on newman by guys who watched all of his game film who called him a top5 qb. In all of college football heading into next year. Remember the throw to washington over the middle against unc? That was 3rd and 18 I think. It was also his 3rd or 4th read. I'll link the article later this morning.

He faded down the stretch for sure - and it certainly coincided w losing Washington and surratt, but he usually picked up 6+ yards on his scramble runs so I understood the reads.

All that said, excited to go w Hartman. He puts more pressure on defenses mentally. He throws the slant well and fearlessly- and he gets everyone to the line fast. There was a reason he broke down cuse when newman couldn't. He was whipping the ball around.

Newman struggled when he was inaccurate. He throws a less catchable ball as well, so accuracy is paramount. I hope hartman spends the spring working on his deep throws w greene and surratt

So not worried about Hartman. The key to the offense will be getting some OTs that really step up. Clapp and Elomnus look huge now. If they can match great technique with their size, we'd be in good shape.

Back