• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

My concern is Hartman is not as physical and big as Newman, hence, more likely to be injured. Jamie was beat up (as was Wolford) but his size was a deterrent to major injury. Hartman has already broken a leg.

Second, the O-line just isn't going to be as good, at least not early in the season. It will be important to see if Hartman can survive the first 6 games.

A 6 win season would be an accomplishment given the schedule, IMHO.

The LOWF attitude will never die in some people I guess. Hartman is pretty jacked now if you haven't noticed and who really is as big and physical as Newman at QB across the college football landscape? A 6 win season as an accomplishment? Ok, maybe if we suffer a historic amount of injuries like we did in the 2018 season then sure, 6 wins would be solid.

Totally agree. Hoping for a six-win season in preseason is small time. Six wins is meh. 7-8 is ok/good. 8+ is an achievement, and one I can't wait to see Clawson hit.

This team has a returning QB with experience and a least 2 big time NFL-level talents. Sky is the limit.

I think this may be our best defense with 100% Clawson recruited players (still worry about CBs).

Think Hartman will be fine - hope he masters the back shoulder throw to Surratt the way Newman did), worry about the OL on offense.

All the pieces fall in the right place I see 9 wins, our defense keeping us in a lot of games as the OL finds its way.

Hartman has bulked up but his frame is set. He's just not that "big". Jamie was hit a lot and injured. Hartman has already broken a leg. A young OL increases the probability of injury regardless of his size.

If he stays healthy I am optimistic for 6+. I just think the probability of that is not in our favor.

I think we look pretty good at QB. Hartman DOES put pressure on defenses in a different way than Jamie did. He slings the ball around and fast. Jamie was a more methodical passer and he very much favored receivers. That said, Newman froze DEs and linebackers for an extra second because they knew that if Newman kept it, a 235 pound man was going to be running at them. Hartman will not instill fear in defenses that way.

Hartman needs to be smarter in where and when to take shots. In limited tape from last year, he seemed to have started to calibrate health into his runs. But I really like our 3-deep at QB. And I really like Jamie Newman as a future NFL veteran QB. I think he'll have a 10 year + career - maybe not much as a starter, but he will dress and play some on Sundays.

Hartman has bulked up but his frame is set. He's just not that "big". Jamie was hit a lot and injured. Hartman has already broken a leg. A young OL increases the probability of injury regardless of his size.

If he stays healthy I am optimistic for 6+. I just think the probability of that is not in our favor.

Your original post brought up Wolford. In case you don't remember, our O-Line was historically bad in 2014-2015, and Wolford survived to play in 23 of 24 games.

There's no reason to assume Hartman will get injured with the O-Line we have this year, which really won't be all that bad. Tom, Maginn, Nya, and the Maryland transfer will all be fine. We got spoiled with a lot of continuity on the line the past few years, but new faces are not a reason to immediately assume the line is going to be terrible.

Yea Wolford starting every game in 2014 as a true freshmen was one of the most shocking things I can remember. I'm still really not sure how he managed to survive that season behind the worst O-Line ever assembled.

Sam is pretty damn big now. He won’t be as physical of a runner as Newman, but he also won’t be running it as much as Newman.
9ee2d0899010a572c4a007cdd2bc4ff5.jpg

His arms now say "football player" not "future accountant."
Hope his legs send the same message.

IIRC Hartman got really sick in high school and dropped a bunch of weight after he committed to Wake. He then beat out Newman as a true freshmen to be the starting QB. Nice to see Hartman developing and excited to see how he does the next 3 years. The Wake coaches have done a pretty good job recruiting/developing QBs. The high tempo offense with an increased number of plays per game seems to lead to more injuries and Wake likely needs another talented QB to be ready behind Hartman.

IIRC Hartman got really sick in high school and dropped a bunch of weight after he committed to Wake. He then beat out Newman as a true freshmen to be the starting QB. Nice to see Hartman developing and excited to see how he does the next 3 years. The Wake coaches have done a pretty good job recruiting/developing QBs. The high tempo offense with an increased number of plays per game seems to lead to more injuries and Wake likely needs another talented QB to be ready behind Hartman.

IIRC, they were both looking ok and even until Newman got dinged and had to sit out a few practices. That pretty much made Hartman the starter.

We will not miss a beat with Hartman under center. In fact, dare I say he fits our offense better than Newman.

Not dismissing the fact that Newman is an incredible physical specimen with a great arm. I’m pulling for Newman. Go back and watch how hard Newman played for us and watch his comeback in Raleigh...And then tell me you aren’t pulling for him at UGA. He earned our respect with his play and his maturity off the field.

Edit to add: the QB isn’t the sole reason for this expectation. I’m expecting the RB rotation and the combo of Sage/Greene/Co. to make this offense a well-oiled machine, assuming the OL will be at least serviceable.

Last edited:
IIRC, they were both looking ok and even until Newman got dinged and had to sit out a few practices. That pretty much made Hartman the starter.

My recollection is that Newman's injury had him out for about 2/3 of summer practice and really not physically ready to play several games into the season. Even though he was listed as the "backup" QB on game rosters.

My recollection is that Newman's injury had him out for about 2/3 of summer practice and really not physically ready to play several games into the season. Even though he was listed as the "backup" QB on game rosters.

The injury happened in the last scrimmage of fall camp; IIRC he missed one or two practices before Sam was named the starter.

Indeed, one of the unsolved mysteries of the 2018 season is what would've happened if Sam had been hurt or ineffective against Tulane. Jamie was there and went warmed up, but he appeared to moving gingerly (at least, to me). I think Jamie was fine by the third game, the BC game on that Thursday night with a hurricane bearing down on the state, but Sam was decent-ish in that one. And then Jamie played in the fourth game, against ND, and injured himself again.

Back