• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

Good stuff Conor.
I’m really anxious for football to start.....practice or anything! .......and really, really hope we have a season this fall.

Thanks man.

I think we've moved past whether there will be a season and into what the season will look like. Which ... it seems like nobody is really *sure* what it'll look like. I'm anxious too, though.

Conor states it correctly, Wake football is falling behind due to not having players return to campus for off-season workouts.

Good writeup, Conor. I didn’t realize Johns had such a strong season statistically.

Johns came on strong the last 6 games. Showed up big in those games. DL will be REALLY good this season.

Surprised Groulx didn’t make the list but can only list 10.

Johns came on strong the last 6 games. Showed up big in those games. DL will be REALLY good this season.

Surprised Groulx didn’t make the list but can only list 10.

He was actually listed in Perry's place until I actually was writing it. Thought process was: listing three slot receivers would be overkill; Morin's KR and PR ability can help this season; they're really reliant on Perry developing so that they can rotate four wide receivers (with Surratt, Greene and Stewart).

Groulx also is the only receiver (I know of) who has been able to work with Hartman in the last few months ... so he's at least able to develop some timing with QB1 that no other receiver in the program is able to do.

He was actually listed in Perry's place until I actually was writing it. Thought process was: listing three slot receivers would be overkill; Morin's KR and PR ability can help this season; they're really reliant on Perry developing so that they can rotate four wide receivers (with Surratt, Greene and Stewart).

Groulx also is the only receiver (I know of) who has been able to work with Hartman in the last few months ... so he's at least able to develop some timing with QB1 that no other receiver in the program is able to do.

Thanks for that info. I thought Groulx is spending more time as an outside receiver which I never understood (I know they are treating him like Bachman). But to me, he is a slot through and through.

Having a solid 4 man rotation at outside WR would be huge. There was a huge dropoff without Sage, Hinton, and Scotty all on the field.

I'm really worried that the gaps between Sage, Greene, Roberson, and Chapman and their backups is going to be huge. Keeping up the ridiculous pace would just exacerbate that problem. It would also make the OL depth problem worse as well.

We will not miss a beat with Hartman under center. In fact, dare I say he fits our offense better than Newman.

Not dismissing the fact that Newman is an incredible physical specimen with a great arm. I’m pulling for Newman. Go back and watch how hard Newman played for us and watch his comeback in Raleigh...And then tell me you aren’t pulling for him at UGA. He earned our respect with his play and his maturity off the field.

I agree with you. I think Sam has the potential to become the best QB we’ve ever had. He has a lot of work ahead of him to get there, but hard work and dedication are not a problem with him. He is the best Sam H at QB in the state already and I don’t see him relinquishing that title.

That being said, we definitely need to dial back our QB runs. I don’t care how much “bigger” Sam has gotten, running him into linebackers and defensive lineman 10+ times a game will inhibit his progression. I love our run game, but my hope is that he only runs a couple times per game. Let KW3, CBS and Flowers do the dirty work there

Thanks for that info. I thought Groulx is spending more time as an outside receiver which I never understood (I know they are treating him like Bachman). But to me, he is a slot through and through.

I've honestly lost track of whether we've been told Groulx was learning slot or outside first. I want to say slot because that's where his skillset translates better, I think. And I think that's where he got most of work in the few spring practices he went through.

To Ph's point, having a 4-man rotation is a key for the outside. I think they'll have a solid third with Stewart as long as he's recovered from the injuries that plagued him at Stanford. So that fourth has to be Perry, or maybe Groulx or Jahmal Banks (he never practiced in spring).

I agree with you. I think Sam has the potential to become the best QB we’ve ever had. He has a lot of work ahead of him to get there, but hard work and dedication are not a problem with him. He is the best Sam H at QB in the state already and I don’t see him relinquishing that title.

That being said, we definitely need to dial back our QB runs. I don’t care how much “bigger” Sam has gotten, running him into linebackers and defensive lineman 10+ times a game will inhibit his progression. I love our run game, but my hope is that he only runs a couple times per game. Let KW3, CBS and Flowers do the dirty work there

I don’t think most of Jamie’s runs were called by the coaches

I would really like to see some more imagination on offense. Against teams like Clemson and ND, it really could help us to run some orbits and the like. I think we missed a golden opportunity with Hinton last year by not using him more creatively.

I'm not advocating that every play should be trickery, but I definitely think we need to be more creative on offense.

And, yes, I'm a huge Dave Clawson supporter. But there's always room for improvement.

I would really like to see some more imagination on offense. Against teams like Clemson and ND, it really could help us to run some orbits and the like. I think we missed a golden opportunity with Hinton last year by not using him more creatively.

I'm not advocating that every play should be trickery, but I definitely think we need to be more creative on offense.

And, yes, I'm a huge Dave Clawson supporter. But there's always room for improvement.

Yes. This.

Conor states it correctly, Wake football is falling behind due to not having players return to campus for off-season workouts.

Every school is falling behind for the same reason so we are all staying even don't you think?

Yes. This.

Agree totally with TheAbster and BWELLS21

Last edited:
Every school is falling behind for the same reason so we are all staying even don't you think?

Some Clemson and Louisville players reporting next week. More ACC teams will soon follow. Will Wake?

not sure where to post or if it has been already but 2006 acc champ game is on acc network right now. not good football but amazing day.

I'm really worried that the gaps between Sage, Greene, Roberson, and Chapman and their backups is going to be huge. Keeping up the ridiculous pace would just exacerbate that problem. It would also make the OL depth problem worse as well.

Agreed on Sage and, to some extent, Greene. Roberson and Chapman haven't really showed much so far in their career, so I can't imagine the dropoff to their backups is huge.

Back