• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

Started hearing good things about Nolan Groulx during the bowl prep practices and the start of the Spring. I'm the first one to discount recruiting rankings, but he was rated higher than Greene coming out of HS (both are NC receivers in the same class), and is among the highest rated recruits that Clawson has signed. So, the kid has talent. Also, he played with Sam Hartman at Davidson Day before transferring. Think he could make the jump this year.

Started hearing good things about Nolan Groulx during the bowl prep practices and the start of the Spring. I'm the first one to discount recruiting rankings, but he was rated higher than Greene coming out of HS (both are NC receivers in the same class), and is among the highest rated recruits that Clawson has signed. So, the kid has talent. Also, he played with Sam Hartman at Davidson Day before transferring. Think he could make the jump this year.

unless I'm missing something in the last rankings update after the fall HS season, Greene was rated higher(something dropped groulx's stock ALOT)

Agreed on Sage and, to some extent, Greene. Roberson and Chapman haven't really showed much so far in their career, so I can't imagine the dropoff to their backups is huge.

True. However, Roberson and Chapman even in so few reps have far more experience than their backups.

Agreed on Sage and, to some extent, Greene. Roberson and Chapman haven't really showed much so far in their career, so I can't imagine the dropoff to their backups is huge.

I’m hopeful. I liked what I saw from AT Perry at the end of last year, and I’m very high on incoming freshman KeShawn Williams. His tape looks a lot like Dortch from high school. Jahmal Banks is another guy to be excited about. I also expect Groulx to be a factor this year. As far as tight ends, we are young but extremely athletic and deep. I think we will be just fine on offense. Only concern is OLine depth, but I have a feeling Tabbacca will have those boys ready.

The receivers will be a strength on this team, I’m not freaking out about the depth. What I want to talk about is how awesome it’s going to be having Walker as the feature back.

The receivers will be a strength on this team, I’m not freaking out about the depth. What I want to talk about is how awesome it’s going to be having Walker as the feature back.

all the talent positions are loaded. We need the O-line to show up. Where's the Beef?

Question: When the hell is our home crowd attendance going to catch up to our program's recent and continued success? When I was growing up in the mid/late 2000s and early 2010s and Wake was winning games, I remember the crowds were often sold out and filled with black and gold for the majority of the bigger games on the schedule. We have had decent crowds this past year for UNC and State, but they were not as electric as I remember our crowd being for big games in Grobe's hay day (2010 Notre Dame was the best one I remember).

There are a number of instances in the Clawson era where we fail to pack the stadium with Deacs in big games. The Louisville game this past year was a major disappointment, even with students being on break. It was honestly embarrassing watching it on TV. Corona impact on the upcoming season aside, what is it going to take to consistently fill the stadium when our team is winning? I feel like either we just have to keep winning and more often or our football fan base and student support isn't what is used to be.

Question: When the hell is our home crowd attendance going to catch up to our program's recent and continued success? When I was growing up in the mid/late 2000s and early 2010s and Wake was winning games, I remember the crowds were often sold out and filled with black and gold for the majority of the bigger games on the schedule. We have had decent crowds this past year for UNC and State, but they were not as electric as I remember our crowd being for big games in Grobe's hay day (2010 Notre Dame was the best one I remember).

There are a number of instances in the Clawson era where we fail to pack the stadium with Deacs in big games. The Louisville game this past year was a major disappointment, even with students being on break. It was honestly embarrassing watching it on TV. Corona impact on the upcoming season aside, what is it going to take to consistently fill the stadium when our team is winning? I feel like either we just have to keep winning and more often or our football fan base and student support isn't what is used to be.

Had season tickets/seats rights for many years. But a three hour drive up and back, plus Ron Wellman being a complete ass hole burned me out. On top of that several Friday night games and television has made staying away easy.

Oh, And Ron Wellman is an ass hole that committed malfeasance of epic proportions.

Ass hole.

if our basketball team beings to improve as we all hope it will under Forbes, then attendance at football games improves just because we are a much happier fan base than the past 10 years. A rising tide lifts all boats kind of thing

I have been attending games since the late 70s on a fairly regular basis and have had season tickets since the early-mid 90s.
During this time attendance has been fairly stable. There are generally 20,000-25,000 Wake Forest fans with numbers varying slightly based on the attractiveness of the opponents. The stadium is full when the opposition brings fans--UNC, NC state. When Wake Forest has an especially good team the number of Deacon fans might rise by a couple of thousand.
There are rare exceptions with better attended games. Nebraska and the early Notre Dame games spring to mind. Also attendance was high for several of the important home games during the Orange bowl season, obviously coinciding with a very good Wake Forest team.
Wake Forest will never be UT for better or worse, certainly not in terms of football attendance.

This year will not be the year that attendance takes a big jump. Capacity will be capped way below normal because of the pandemic.

This year will not be the year that attendance takes a big jump. Capacity will be capped way below normal because of the pandemic.

However, I think season ticket sales are up significantly.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

True. However, Roberson and Chapman even in so few reps have far more experience than their backups.

I suppose I'm hopeful that a younger star emerges at each position. I'd love for a Morin/Isaac/Williams or Hite/Ford/Frogge to force their way on the field this season in the way we've seen from Dortch/Walker/Surratt/Greer/Bates/etc.

I suppose I'm hopeful that a younger star emerges at each position. I'd love for a Morin/Isaac/Williams or Hite/Ford/Frogge to force their way on the field this season in the way we've seen from Dortch/Walker/Surratt/Greer/Bates/etc.

Left out Groulx, who I think is the most likely candidate to do that.

Had season tickets/seats rights for many years. But a three hour drive up and back, plus Ron Wellman being a complete ass hole burned me out. On top of that several Friday night games and television has made staying away easy.

Oh, And Ron Wellman is an ass hole that committed malfeasance of epic proportions.

Ass hole.

Around a 3-hour drive for us as well, but after years of doing so we no longer drive up/back in the same day. If it's a nooner we go up Friday late afternoon and enjoy a meal and a few drinks downtown; 3:30 or later we stay over Saturday and maybe have brunch somewhere the next a.m.; maybe hit the campus during one of the two days. That's not possible for everyone based on work schedules (dreaded Friday games); kids' schedules, Sunday church obligations, etc., but we're at the point in life that we can take the extra day and not rush around.

Ass hole.

Is Currie going to be bring you back?

Last year was brutal in terms of traveling to games. With business 40 shut down, a 4 hr trip one way took even longer. Also, it never helps when games are on Friday nights, I know the ACC Network is a thing. In addition to that, the lack of hotel rooms is a major problem in Winston-Salem. For parents weekend, homecoming, and the furniture weekend(s), you might end up at the Shady Inn at Mocksville and pay by the hour. Clawson has been vocal about Friday nights hurting recruiting. UNC and App were/are on Friday nights. This home schedule is particularly weak when it comes to recruiting players from NC/SC - BC, Nova, Cuse - all NE schools. And App ain't State, UNC or even Duke in terms of a rivalry game.

And App ain't State, UNC or even Duke in terms of a rivalry game.

But the stands will be packed with Black and Gold (up to whatever limit is imposed at that time)! ;)

Around a 3-hour drive for us as well, but after years of doing so we no longer drive up/back in the same day. If it's a nooner we go up Friday late afternoon and enjoy a meal and a few drinks downtown; 3:30 or later we stay over Saturday and maybe have brunch somewhere the next a.m.; maybe hit the campus during one of the two days. That's not possible for everyone based on work schedules (dreaded Friday games); kids' schedules, Sunday church obligations, etc., but we're at the point in life that we can take the extra day and not rush around.

This is us as well. We are further down east with a 4 hour drive each way. We like to spend at least one night in W-S for each home game. There are some excellent restaurants now in the 4th street area. The hotel situation is also finally getting better with a new Marriott Courtyard on 4th street (developed by a WFU alumni) and the Hotel Indigo, also on 4th street, which we have not yet tried. The Embassy Suites has been a complete dump with horrible service for several years but I understand that is finally being remodeled. The Marriott is also much nicer now with newly upgraded rooms. We make a nice weekend out of the trip now as well.

Back