• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

This is us as well. We are further down east with a 4 hour drive each way. We like to spend at least one night in W-S for each home game. There are some excellent restaurants now in the 4th street area. The hotel situation is also finally getting better with a new Marriott Courtyard on 4th street (developed by a WFU alumni) and the Hotel Indigo, also on 4th street, which we have not yet tried. The Embassy Suites has been a complete dump with horrible service for several years but I understand that is finally being remodeled. The Marriott is also much nicer now with newly upgraded rooms. We make a nice weekend out of the trip now as well.

Downtown Winston has definitely brightened up over the past few years. I think it’s actually one of the prettiest cities in North Carolina. Obviously it’s not Charlotte or Raleigh in size, but downtown finally has a nice vibe.

It really worries me that the shutdown may hurt that.

Downtown Winston has definitely brightened up over the past few years. I think it’s actually one of the prettiest cities in North Carolina. Obviously it’s not Charlotte or Raleigh in size, but downtown finally has a nice vibe.

It really worries me that the shutdown may hurt that.
This is true - Downtown Winston is one of the coolest and most fun places in NC.

139-1391387_acc-championship-2018-acc-football-championship.png

Seeing the FSU headlines on ESPN makes me think they'll be a complete dumpster fire again this season. There is obviously an unprecedented time but I'm surprised that star FSU linebacker aired his coach out like that. Seems like a blatant lack of any respect for the coach, you'd think he would have reached out directly to try and address the situation at the source of the problem - Norvell and his exaggerated quotes.

Seeing the FSU headlines on ESPN makes me think they'll be a complete dumpster fire again this season. There is obviously an unprecedented time but I'm surprised that star FSU linebacker aired his coach out like that. Seems like a blatant lack of any respect for the coach, you'd think he would have reached out directly to try and address the situation at the source of the problem - Norvell and his exaggerated quotes.

Sounds like things have been sorted out. Marvin and Norvell were able to come together. Seems like there was a little bit of an overreaction to the whole situation. It sounds like the coaches sent out a text to player, and then made it their responsibility to respond and share their feelings about the situation to the coaches. Clearly Marvin didn’t like that. But again, sounds like they are in a better place versus 6-7 hours before now.

Oh, indeed.

(that's a link to an actual story, not just an Omar reference)

I totally understand that everyone seems to be doing their best to have a full college football season. But, college football is so much emotion that feeds on the fans. Seeing great rivalry games with lots of empty seats is going to be weird. Beats not having a season at all but it's going to be really strange.

Ah. I think it’s still a bit early to be making predictions about what the season will look like in terms of attendance. A lot of things can change between now and then. But I don’t disagree with the sentiment in Conor’s article:

“As the question has shifted from whether the COVID-19 pandemic would cause cancellation of the college football season to how abnormal the season will look, athletics departments across the state are preparing for what that could mean.

Spoiler alert: Nobody knows.

While it’s too early to make final decisions, a variety of scenarios are being discussed in determining how many people will see those games in the stadiums.”

“Oh indeed” I don’t think is the proper response to saying that this won’t be the year that attendance reaches new highs due to capacity being capped “way below normal” (when has capacity ever been capped by anything other than the amount of seats in the stadium??). Again, we don’t know for sure what’s going to happen 3 months from now. It’s likely there will be restrictions, but we can’t be sure. That’s just my opinion.

Last edited:
(when has capacity ever been capped by anything other than the amount of seats in the stadium??)

Uh, fire code.

I think it’s a fair prediction to say that no matter how many people are legally allowed in, enough people will be uncomfortable with mass gatherings that there won’t be any attendance records broken this year.

It will be tough to cheer through an N95 mask, but we will give it a try.

I think it's impossible to predict how things will look three months from now -- after all, look at how normal things seemed three months ago -- but I can't imagine there's much of a chance you'll have stadiums filled.

I mean, I hope they are. Just can't see it as much of a possibility right now.

If it turns out that games this fall will require greatly reduced crowd sizes, I think that could be good for Wake. Seriously. We never have huge crowds at home and do well there. And if we play away games at our key rivals with partially filled stadiums, then the home teams loses some of their advantage. Good for us.
We’ll see what actually happens.

If it turns out that games this fall will require greatly reduced crowd sizes, I think that could be good for Wake. Seriously. We never have huge crowds at home and do well there. And if we play away games at our key rivals with partially filled stadiums, then the home teams loses some of their advantage. Good for us.
We’ll see what actually happens.

Agreed. If sizes are significantly limited, I can only see this helping Wake. Especially games like Clemson in Winston. Half or more of the seats would have been orange, unfortunately, under "normal circumstances".

Back