• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

Great for Nick. Hope he continues his FG accuracy this coming season, along with some more depth on kick offs.

How about 7 first team AA’s from the ACC? Impressive.

It will be tough to repeat, but hope Sciba can keep up his accuracy. Wake will be breaking in a new long-snapper and new holder this season (since Maggio and Diemel are gone), so the timing will definitely change for him. They signed a long-snapper in December who is supposedly ranked number one in the nation for long-snapping, so that is promising. Wake also shows one long-snapper on the roster (Noah Turner), so I assume he will handle all long-snapping in the Spring and compete for the starting job in the Fall when the new long-snapper is available. At holder, I see Zach Murphy was listed on the depth chart on the roster page as the backup holder last season, so I would assume he will be the starting holder next year with Maggio graduating.

On a related note, Wake has to find a replacement for Maggio. He had a great career and made second team all-ACC his senior year, so he will be hard to replace as a four year starter. Wake brought in Ivan Mora last year and he was very highly rated out of high school. I also see Murphy is listed as the back-up behind Maggio on the depth chart for punting last season (also listed as backup placekicker), so I assume he will be competing with Mora for the punting job. I assume we will not know who the starting punter is until the Fall competition, based on past years. For kickoffs, I assume it will be Sciba, Murphy, Mora, or they will bring in a grad-transfer to handle kickoffs like they did two years ago.

Ruffin McNeil leaving Oklahoma to come to NC to take care of 85 yo father does he live nearby we do need a lb coach

It will be tough to repeat, but hope Sciba can keep up his accuracy. Wake will be breaking in a new long-snapper and new holder this season (since Maggio and Diemel are gone), so the timing will definitely change for him. They signed a long-snapper in December who is supposedly ranked number one in the nation for long-snapping, so that is promising. Wake also shows one long-snapper on the roster (Noah Turner), so I assume he will handle all long-snapping in the Spring and compete for the starting job in the Fall when the new long-snapper is available. At holder, I see Zach Murphy was listed on the depth chart on the roster page as the backup holder last season, so I would assume he will be the starting holder next year with Maggio graduating.

On a related note, Wake has to find a replacement for Maggio. He had a great career and made second team all-ACC his senior year, so he will be hard to replace as a four year starter. Wake brought in Ivan Mora last year and he was very highly rated out of high school. I also see Murphy is listed as the back-up behind Maggio on the depth chart for punting last season (also listed as backup placekicker), so I assume he will be competing with Mora for the punting job. I assume we will not know who the starting punter is until the Fall competition, based on past years. For kickoffs, I assume it will be Sciba, Murphy, Mora, or they will bring in a grad-transfer to handle kickoffs like they did two years ago.

Mora will do the punting and do a good job at it.
He could also do kickoffs if needed. He has the leg for it.

Hopefully he will be doing more kicking off than punting.

I would like to think that if Mora had the leg to boot touchbacks 80% of the time, he wouldn’t have redshirted this year.

Kickoffs for WF were worse this year than I’ve ever seen in the ACC ever. That bad. So Sciba, who is money on FG, should not be kicking off.

Nightmare for Clawson. He nearly admitted not knowing what to do...at a loss.

He said Sciba’s leg got tired. Give kickoff job to Mora.

I would like to think that if Mora had the leg to boot touchbacks 80% of the time, he wouldn’t have redshirted this year.

Sometimes a year of growing older, strength and conditioning add leg strength.

True, but as DeacsorDie said: If he could do it 80% of the time, he should have done it this past year.

True, but as DeacsorDie said: If he could do it 80% of the time, he should have done it this past year.

I 100% agree with this statement. If Mora was better than Sciba or Murphy this past season, he would have kicked off in the last four games and still been able to red shirt. The fact he did not, indicates to me that he was not a better option than Sciba or Murphy. I personally believe Wake will bring in a grad transfer to do kickoffs, unless the three currently available improve significantly in the Spring.

I just did a quick check and found of those players who had at least 50 kickoffs during the season, only 4 (out of 100) averaged more than 80% on touchbacks. The average touchback rate for the 100 kickers was 48%. Sciba ranked 90 out of 100, with a touchback average of 20%. In the ACC, he ranked last and AJ Reed of Duke was second to last (86 out of 100) with a 26% touchback percentage. Also, 44 out of 100 kickers had touchback percentages lower than the 48% average. Interestingly, the kicker for Michigan State (Cole Hahn) had a lower average than Sciba. He had a 17% touchback rate and was tied with Joseph Bulovas of Alabama. As bad as Hahn and Bulovas were, their teams did not give up any returns for a touchdown.

Ruffin McNeil leaving Oklahoma to come to NC to take care of 85 yo father does he live nearby we do need a lb coach

That would be a great hire. We would love to have him on board. He said he doesn’t want to quit coaching. If his dad is nearby, I think Wake could work for him. But North Carolina isn’t a small state.

McNeil grew up in Lumberton. Not sure if that’s where his dad is. That’s a little far away but who knows their situation.

I agree and don’t understand why he didn’t do any kick offs, especially during the last 4 games. As previously mentioned, I saw him routinely kick it into the end zone during his HS games.

I agree and don’t understand why he didn’t do any kick offs, especially during the last 4 games. As previously mentioned, I saw him routinely kick it into the end zone during his HS games.

how deep into the endzone? enough to cover the additional 5 yard difference between high school and college?

Kickoffs for WF were worse this year than I’ve ever seen in the ACC ever. That bad. So Sciba, who is money on FG, should not be kicking off.

Nightmare for Clawson. He nearly admitted not knowing what to do...at a loss.

He said Sciba’s leg got tired. Give kickoff job to Mora.

Part of the lack of touchbacks is on the kickers. Part of that is on the other 10 cover guys. If they are good, marginal end zone kicks become touchbacks. And so do a lot of kicks that get just inside the 5. Fair caught for touchbacks.

You guys realize that a lot of teams (including Alabama and Ohio State) purposely try to kick it inside the 5 yard line and the goal line, right? They have confidence that their kickoff teams can keep the returner from getting to the 25, and typically kick it towards the left corner of the end zone, to allow the coverage team to collapse on a smaller section of the field.

It's not like touchbacks are the end all be all. It's concerning that our coverage team is either A) poorly coached or 2) made up of 2nd and 3rd stringers who just aren't very good at all. It's probably a combination of both.

big difference between kicking a line drive inside the 5 and a kicker with a big leg putting more air under it to force a catch inside the 5. now granted, our coverage also sucks irrespective of where the kick is fielded but good coverage + high kick gets returned to the 20. good coverage + line drive to the 30.

McNeil grew up in Lumberton. Not sure if that’s where his dad is. That’s a little far away but who knows their situation.

my aunt went to high school with him and one time showed me a pic of him in her yearbook and he's listed a Ruffin "White Boy" McNeil

Back