• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

McNeil grew up in Lumberton. Not sure if that’s where his dad is. That’s a little far away but who knows their situation.

Lumberton is a long drive from Winston. But Winston is a lot closer to Lumberton than Oklahoma is. Would be good if Wake could get him on board, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

The closest FBS school to Lumberton may be Coastal Carolina (about an hour).

It's not like touchbacks are the end all be all. It's concerning that our coverage team is either A) poorly coached or 2) made up of 2nd and 3rd stringers who just aren't very good at all. It's probably a combination of both.

I think I noted during the season, will reiterate: Santucci was in charge of kickoff coverage. It'll be interesting to see if new position coach takes over unit, or if somebody shifts.

I think I noted during the season, will reiterate: Santucci was in charge of kickoff coverage. It'll be interesting to see if new position coach takes over unit, or if somebody shifts.

Isn’t Ryan Crawford very active on special teams? Also, if Santucci was running kickoffs, what does Wayne Lineburg do? Shouldn’t he be doing it all as a special teams coach?

I have asked this question to Les as to coaching roles and pretty sure I asked it last year but didn't get a response-we moved to making the Rover a safety position last year. As such, since Hemphill handles safeties, he'd have 3 player positions to coach with the 2 safeties and a rover. That also would leave only 2 linebacker positions with 2 linebacker coaches, Sherrod and Santucci. If the two LB coaches only have one player position to deal with, they have a lot less responsibility than any of the other coaches and therefore should shoulder additional responsibilities. I have no clue if that's how it really falls out but it makes sense. So maybe Lineburg deals with the kickers as a position coach as well as the tight ends and Santucci handled the coverage strategies and tactics.
This would be similar to having a separate offensive coordinator, he'd be like the special teams coordinator.

Crawford handles punt return, I believe. Lineberg is more of an overseer of special teams coach, delegating specific units to be handled by position coaches, than a hands-on special teams coach -- I think that's pretty common for the special teams coordinator/position coach role in college football. Not sure if I've mentioned this here, but I've felt with the openings before each of the past two seasons (when they hired Crawford it was because NCAA expanded coaching staff by one, and then Santucci's departure this year) that they should make Lineberg full-time special teams or tight ends, and hire the inverse. Seems like this year's special teams gaffes that should be strongly considered but alas -- Clawson doesn't ask me to weigh in on his coaching staff. hahaha.

I think the rover position was coached by Sherrod this past season, with Hemphill offering a little more input because A) it's a hybrid safety and B) defensive coordinator. But I can't remember if that was ever confirmed or on the record or if it's just from trying to pick up interactions in fall camp.

Conor a little pressure. Let’s see your way too early prediction for this season. I promise no one will hold you to it. 😜

Conor a little pressure. Let’s see your way too early prediction for this season. I promise no one will hold you to it. 😜

hahaha I HATE projections. I cringed before every game when people ask me what the score is going to be and usually just say "a lot of points" or some variation.

The schedule does set up more difficult than last year -- think going 1-1 against App/ND would be good. Based on experience/returning talent, defense should be ahead of the offense. OL and CB are going to be the focal points for me in spring practices. Developing a back QB is pretty essential for a program that hasn't had a QB start every game since 2014. I think Kern will be good, but also have never seen him take a first-team rep. Also interested to see where leadership comes from, as every captain was a senior, but that usually sorts itself out in the next 3 months.

The closest FBS school to Lumberton may be Coastal Carolina (about an hour).

Sure. But given the situation, he may be fine just serving as a consultant at UNC-Pembroke.

Are you forgetting Fayetteville State? They are an HBCU and compete in the CIAA. Pretty good program. It is only about 30 minutes away from Lumberton.

Are you forgetting Fayetteville State? They are an HBCU and compete in the CIAA. Pretty good program. It is only about 30 minutes away from Lumberton.

UNC-Pembroke is even closer, as is St. Andrews.

Did you ever think that he just wants to take care of his dad? It’s hard for me to imagine coaching at any level that would work well with that.

When my dad was in a similar position I was in the same town but put my business way down the list of priorities in order to care for him. Some things you never get a second chance to do.

A consultant? Maybe. A coach? Not seeing it.

Wouldn’t hurt to have some income coming in to take care of his dad’s medical costs even all drawing good salaries all these years. Shame he’s not still the head coach at ECU.

and they have a prediction that we finish 5th in the division for 20 but another bowl.

and they have a prediction that we finish 5th in the division for 20 but another bowl.

Looked like 4th to me: Clemson, UL, F$U, WF, NCSU, Cuse, BC - with Clemson at number 1 in the country and UL, FSU, and WF all listed in their "just outside the top 25" category. VT and UNC the only other ACC teams in their top 25.

Anyone hear of kids from practice, redshirt or not, last year who may be ready for a breakout season?

Back