• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are your top 3 Beatles songs?

I've got a soft spot for Help! and the Beatles (White Album) since I think they were my first two cds. I also listened to a shit ton of Sgt. Pepper's as a wee one, as well as multiple viewings of Yellow Submarine. We also had this great tape of Greatest Hits or something -- I don't know, it had Paperback Writer on it.

My favorites from those when I was a kid were

Hide Your Love Away
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I'd have to revisit now, as I'm sure Paul would creep in there with something, like, I really love She's Leaving Home, but those are the ones I remember really digging as a kid in those days.

On that note, I really love this Stevie Wonder-produced Syreeta cover of "She's Leaving Home." So weird with the talkbox. But I love it.

Something
Long and Winding Road
Old Brown Shoe

Just 3 is tough...

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
And I Love Her

Just for fun-

Ob la di
Yellow Submarine
She Loves You

Ob La Di is a good song but allowing it to be used for a tv theme song hurt it.

I watched that Dany Boye flick, Yesterday, on the plane yesterday. Not bad. Had the hot waitress chick from Baby Driver. Ending wasn't great but there was probably no great ending to be written except maybe some psychedelic shit where they played all the songs backwards or something.

I like Geoff Emerick's (engineer on these records) recollection of John Lennon's contribution to "Ob-La-Di."

Throughout the preceding weeks I had noticed that John's behavior was becoming increasingly erratic — his mood swings were more severe, and they were occurring more frequently. That was definitely the case with the recording of 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.' One moment he'd be into it, acting the fool and doing his fake Jamaican patois, the next minute he'd be sulking and grumbling about how the song was more of Paul's 'granny music shit.' [...] So when Paul announced several nights later that he wanted to scrap everything that had been done so far and start the song again from scratch, John went ballistic. Ranting and raving, he headed out the door, with Yoko trailing closely behind, and we thought that we'd seen the last of him that evening. But a few hours later he stormed back into the studio, clearly in a highly altered state of mind. 'I AM FUCKING STONED!!' John Lennon bellowed from the top of the stairs. [...] 'I am more stoned than you have ever been. In fact, I am more stoned than you will ever be!' [...] 'And this,' Lennon added with a snarl, 'is how the fucking song should go.' Unsteadily, he lurched down the stairs and over to the piano and began smashing the keys with all his might, pounding out the famous opening chords that became the song's introduction, played at a breakneck tempo. [...] 'Okay, then, John,' [McCartney] said in short, clipped words, staring his deranged bandmate straight in the eye. 'Let's do it your way.' [...] The remake, I had to admit, was quite good.

—Geoff Emerick, EMI Recording Engineer, Here, There and Everywhere with John Massey, 2006

1. Happiness is a Warm Gun
2. Nowhere Man
3. I've Got a Feeling

But they change often.

I had Taxman in my head throughout the latest season of The Crown whenever Wilson or Heath appeared.

"Hey Bulldog"

The GOAT. Coolest use of piano in their catalog, a rocker. They're having fun. Unfortunate this was the first recording John brought Yoko to, beginning of the end. Or cool depending on what you think of Yoko.

"It's All Too Much"

Soars. I feel a song like It's All Too Much would have been considered an absolute masterpiece of BritPop if another band would have put it out. Instead it's a relatively obscure one on one of their worst rated records. George is the man. "Show me that I'm everywhere and get me home for tea."

"Because"

The vocal harmonies are incredible. Complex and beautiful. Last song they ever recorded, I believe. More of Yoko's influence, apparently this was written after she played them Moonlight Sonata. First ever use of the Moog at Abbey Road. Good band!

1. Blackbird
2. And your bird can sing
3. Free as a bird

Is Charlie Parker your favorite musician?

Mark Fidrych favorite athlete? Oh nvm, it's probably an ex-Celtic PF.

I'm just joking. I think it is impossible to pick three favorite Beatles songs. I could probably pick my three least favorite, but the Beatles have so many great songs and my favorites change frequently.

I'm just joking. I think it is impossible to pick three favorite Beatles songs. I could probably pick my three least favorite, but the Beatles have so many great songs and my favorites change frequently.

This would be a good thread. The Beatles definitely have some trash in their catalog.

Back