• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Neil Peart dead

My dad raised me on Rush. He played 2112 for me one day and at the end he said “how many people do you think are in this band?” I guessed 5 at least maybe more. He smiled and said “Three. That’s why they call them the holy triumvirate.” I remember my jaw dropping, I couldn’t believe that three dudes could make that sound.

Peart will forever be my all time favorite drummer and I’ll do my damndest to make sure my kids know who he was.

yep growing up and discovering rock in the 70s from the older kids in the neighborhood started out with Kiss and Cheap Trick then as they got older got into Led Zeppelin, Rush,Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and passed it all down to us from the kids older than them and so on. Reznick's at Thruway was the main record store and just wasn't a conduit to band discovery, and I was a little too young for Misty Mountain Rock it had already closed. Didn't know about music mags really besides RS and Cream and Hit Parader so music discovery was word of mouth and radio. Rush was the one noted as the best players, most technically proficient (we later discovered early Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, etc). Exit...Stage Left was the record that had it all.

March 1983 - My mom dropped me off alone at age 12 at the Greensboro Coliseum to meet my pal for my first rock concert - Rush w/The Jon Butcher Axis opening on the Signals tour. I saw every tour after that I think. Prob saw them 20 or 21 times.

My dad raised me on Rush. He played 2112 for me one day and at the end he said “how many people do you think are in this band?” I guessed 5 at least maybe more. He smiled and said “Three. That’s why they call them the holy triumvirate.” I remember my jaw dropping, I couldn’t believe that three dudes could make that sound.

Peart will forever be my all time favorite drummer and I’ll do my damndest to make sure my kids know who he was.

To your point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2GH0ClOCvE&feature=youtu.be

Geddy is a fucking genius. Love watching him sing, bass, and synth/organ with FEET, all different rhythms and killing it all.

And say what you want about the content of Peart's lyrics -- the Ayn Rand-type stuff, Trees, whatever -- but in terms of craftsmanship, the rhythm, rhyme, alliteration -- it's fun and well thought out and put together.

Yeah the lyrics range from downright goofy to inspiring to poignant and all areas in between, some better than others, but a testament to Peart always changing always trying to get better. He later disavowed Rand and referred to himself as a "bleeding heart libertarian", for whatever that is worth.

Still love 2112 so much, esp Temples and Discovery. good shit

This is circulating among my Rush nerd friends. If you don't like it, well, you're with the terrorists

The tradition of having extraordinary musicians and singers representing the military goes back to at least early WWII.

Primus doing A Farewell to Kings in its entirety. Claypool gives a good interview here at any Rush nerd can appreciate.

Yeah, it’s been amazing. Since the documentary, there’s been a groundswell of interest.
Yeah, and I think for Rush fans, part of that is a bit of a bitter pill, because they were always “our guys.” Those were our guys. It’s like being a Trekkie, or something. It’s a badge of honor; it’s something that not everybody understands or understood, but there was a big community of folks that you can identify with that did.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/primus-rush-tribute-to-kings-tour-les-claypool-interview-953590/

Back in the day, one of my high school friend's mother was on a plane. She came back and told her son that she was sitting beside someone on the plane who played drums as well. She told her son that she told her new friend all about her son Fleet and all he was doing in the high school band. Her son asked if she got the person's name, you know how it ends....

Back