• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: Men #3

The women beat BC Sunday morning, which was a solid win. They next play ODU and then #1 UNC.

The men beat Furman and UNCC and got to use a lot of different players. The men play at Clemson and GT this upcoming weekend.

I was thinking that the women's team was really ready to take off after losing a close match to fsu and beating Georgia Tech 7-0 but they've kind of struggled against some of the lesser programs in the ACC the last couple of weeks.

I was thinking that the women's team was really ready to take off after losing a close match to fsu and beating Georgia Tech 7-0 but they've kind of struggled against some of the lesser programs in the ACC the last couple of weeks.

Agreed. Although they beat BC yesterday, it is worrisome that Brylin had to withdraw (presumably because of injury) because she has been their most consistent winner this year.

The first computer rankings of the year are out.

The men are #12. Squire #8, Nava #38, Baadi #113, Squire/Nava #15, Mel/Baadi #56.

The women are #26. C Campana #12, A Campana #32, Brylin #117. C Campana/Omirou #23, Killingsworth/Brylin #28.

The men beat Clemson 7-0 on Friday and just beat a tough #35 GT 4-3 today. GT had just beaten #21 NC State 6-1 on Friday. Wake dominated doubles today (we have been really good at doubles lately) and then won straight sets at 3, 5, and 6. We lost at 2 and lost 3 setters at 1 and 4.

The Wake men are now 33-29 all time against Clemson, and 18-1 in our last 19 matches against them (including winning the last 11). They are now 24-23 all time against GT, including winning the last 11.

The women lost to Miami on Friday and are currently in a close match with Old Dominion. The Wake women have struggled recently and are at risk of not qualifying for the NCAA tournament.

The Wake men are now 33-29 all time against Clemson, and 18-1 in our last 19 matches against them (including winning the last 11). They are now 24-23 all time against GT, including winning the last 11.

Were we really bad at tennis before we were really good? Or did Clemson and GT just dominate us?

Also, I'd say of all of the teams in the country in college tennis, Clemson has fallen the hardest and farthest. Clemson and Duke were right on UVA's heels 10 years ago, with Wake and UNC on the outside looking in, and both of those teams have dropped off big time, and Wake and UNC have both won natty's.

Rafi, we haven't seen Moroni since he retired vs. Elon. Is Sid playing over him, or is he still injured.

We are definitely improving as a team, but Taha is struggling at 2 and Melios is struggling at 4 and 5, and we know that against top 8 teams, which is where we want to finish, Squire is going to have his hands full at 1. Nava at 3, and Rezi at 5/6 have been almost automatic this year.

Also, I'd say of all of the teams in the country in college tennis, Clemson has fallen the hardest and farthest. Clemson and Duke were right on UVA's heels 10 years ago, with Wake and UNC on the outside looking in, and both of those teams have dropped off big time, and Wake and UNC have both won natty's.

Rafi, we haven't seen Moroni since he retired vs. Elon. Is Sid playing over him, or is he still injured.

We are definitely improving as a team, but Taha is struggling at 2 and Melios is struggling at 4 and 5, and we know that against top 8 teams, which is where we want to finish, Squire is going to have his hands full at 1. Nava at 3, and Rezi at 5/6 have been almost automatic this year.

I've seen Moroni practicing, so I don't think he's completely out of commission. I think Moroni can play at a high level, but Sid and Melios are probably more consistent from match to match.

Rafi, did you catch any of Taha's 3rd set on stream yesterday? Hard to imagine him winning the 2nd, all the momentum, and then get bageled. Wondered if he was cramping or just physically ran out of gas.

Rafi, did you catch any of Taha's 3rd set on stream yesterday? Hard to imagine him winning the 2nd, all the momentum, and then get bageled. Wondered if he was cramping or just physically ran out of gas.

I didn't. I saw Bresky made the comment that it was hot, but that didn't affect things. My thought is that is coach-speak for "it was hot, and it did affect a few players but I don't want to say who."

Squire was down 0-4 and 2-5 in the second set, and when he got it to 6-5 in the second I thought for sure he would win.

Very impressive showing by Nava.

I didn't. I saw Bresky made the comment that it was hot, but that didn't affect things. My thought is that is coach-speak for "it was hot, and it did affect a few players but I don't want to say who."

Squire was down 0-4 and 2-5 in the second set, and when he got it to 6-5 in the second I thought for sure he would win.

Very impressive showing by Nava.

Nava, Rezi, and Sid are having great years. Squire is having a great year, he just isn't winning many top 5-10 matches YET. Taha and Melios are unfortunately not having great years, and dubs is so-so, hence why we lost 4-3 yesterday and are probably going to slot in as a top 15 team this year.

Gotcha.

The women had to postpone their matches today and this weekend because of COVID protocol.

Was the COVID issue within the WF program or the UNC program?

Shocked that nobody has posted it yet but we are up 1-0 on #2 UNC and won 4 of 6 singles 1st sets.

5-2 final. Huge win. Perhaps we're peaking right at the right time to make a serious run in the NCAA tournament

5-2 final. Huge win. Perhaps we're peaking right at the right time to make a serious run in the NCAA tournament

Go Deacs! Any win over the heels is a great win, but this is huge.

Back