• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: Men #3

Bar played a real tough match in opener going 3 tough sets with last set 15-13. Hopefully, it was just early season fatigue.

Looks like ref overturned last point in the match to give Wake the win in the tie breaker.

Looks like ref overturned last point in the match to give Wake the win in the tie breaker.

Saw the video on twitter. That UK player was mad. So silly to let players have that much control. Wouldn’t have even been a ref there if it hadn’t been the last match I don’t think.

Saw the video on twitter. That UK player was mad. So silly to let players have that much control. Wouldn’t have even been a ref there if it hadn’t been the last match I don’t think.

There are refs on every court for every match.

Great win for the Deacs. UK dominated the doubles point, continuing our poor play from last year. But like last year, we looked great in singles.

Bar beat a really good freshman at 1 and Melios and Squire were dominant at 3 and 4. Baadi is good - he played a solid tiebreak. His opponent had been overruled several times before the final point (including another point in the tiebreak). Nava didn’t play singles - no idea why (probably a match up issue, but he has been playing well and I would have liked to see him at 5 or 6).

The team now advances to the final 16 in a few weeks in Wisconsin.

Really? I honestly didn’t know that. It seems like the players make a ton of calls themselves.

The players make all their own calls, but there is a chair ump on each court to overrule bad calls. Some overrule a lot, others very little.

Really? I honestly didn’t know that. It seems like the players make a ton of calls themselves.

The chair umpire is there to officiate. The players call their own lines. However, the umpire can overall rule the calls. For example, the Kentucky player called the ball out against Baadi on match point. Baadi challenged the call to the Ref and the chair umpire over ruled the Kentucky Player. Ending the match.

The chair umpire is there to officiate. The players call their own lines. However, the umpire can overall rule the calls. For example, the Kentucky player called the ball out against Baadi on match point. Baadi challenged the call to the Ref and the chair umpire over ruled the Kentucky Player. Ending the match.

They are actually trying something just slightly different for ITA indoors. An appeal from a player is not needed for an overrule. The chair ump will overrule any call they think is incorrect, even before an appeal.

Good weekend. I think dubs is going to be challenge all year, but hopefully we can find some good combos and develop some rhythm. Our 1st 4 appears to be set. I was a little surprised to see Nava out of the lineup especially since it was indoors.

Good weekend. I think dubs is going to be challenge all year, but hopefully we can find some good combos and develop some rhythm. Our 1st 4 appears to be set. I was a little surprised to see Nava out of the lineup especially since it was indoors.

I was surprised by the Nava exclusion too, especially since he played doubles and therefore wasn't trying to preserve a day of eligibility to be used later in the season. I think of Nava as more of an outdoors player, but he was serving big last weekend, so maybe he has more indoor game than I thought. Either way, I like his game and think he'll be important for us going forward.

This Friday (1/31) at home, the women play a tough Kansas team at 4 pm and the men play a good UCF team at 7 pm.

I was surprised by the Nava exclusion too, especially since he played doubles and therefore wasn't trying to preserve a day of eligibility to be used later in the season. I think of Nava as more of an outdoors player, but he was serving big last weekend, so maybe he has more indoor game than I thought. Either way, I like his game and think he'll be important for us going forward.

This Friday (1/31) at home, the women play a tough Kansas team at 4 pm and the men play a good UCF team at 7 pm.

Sorry for another dumb question. What do you mean by preserve a day of eligibility? Do they only get to play a certain number of matches? I have followed tennis and this team for years but am trying to get a little more in to college tennis as a whole.

Sorry for another dumb question. What do you mean by preserve a day of eligibility? Do they only get to play a certain number of matches? I have followed tennis and this team for years but am trying to get a little more in to college tennis as a whole.

No, that's a good question. There is an obscure rule about the number of match days a player can compete per year. It's never really an issue except for the players that participate in a lot of fall tournaments. Every now and then, a player will sit out so they do not approach the limit. It's not the number of matches, but rather the number of days in which one played a match.

Am expecting a battle tonight. Hate to miss it. UCF is better than the two teams we've played. Dubs point will be key, and so far we are 0-2. Botzer gets a rematch from a match he lost in NCAA. The rest of the matches should all be close. First big test for Squire. I doubt UCF plays any indoors so that should bode well for us.

watching the stream, Deacs win the doubles. On court 2, there was a big argument at 5-5, both coaches got involved, does anyone know what happened

watching the stream, Deacs win the doubles. On court 2, there was a big argument at 5-5, both coaches got involved, does anyone know what happened

The chair ump screwed up a call, the head ump (roving) came over and clarified it in Wake’s favor, UCF coach John Roddick (Andy’s brother) yelled a lot, and they got a point penalty. So it went from 15 all to 0-40 in Wake’s favor.

Strong win. Taking doubles was crucial.

I would like to see the following lineup:

Nava/Squire
Baadi/Mel
Bar/Sid

Bar
Baadi
Mel
Squire
Nava
Sid/Rrezi

Back