Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 244

Thread: Wake Forest Tennis 2021 - #11 Men Beat Up on #2 UNC

  1. #221
    The women beat BC Sunday morning, which was a solid win. They next play ODU and then #1 UNC.

    The men beat Furman and UNCC and got to use a lot of different players. The men play at Clemson and GT this upcoming weekend.

  2. #222
    I was thinking that the women's team was really ready to take off after losing a close match to fsu and beating Georgia Tech 7-0 but they've kind of struggled against some of the lesser programs in the ACC the last couple of weeks.

  3. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    I was thinking that the women's team was really ready to take off after losing a close match to fsu and beating Georgia Tech 7-0 but they've kind of struggled against some of the lesser programs in the ACC the last couple of weeks.
    Agreed. Although they beat BC yesterday, it is worrisome that Brylin had to withdraw (presumably because of injury) because she has been their most consistent winner this year.

  4. #224
    The first computer rankings of the year are out.

    The men are #12. Squire #8, Nava #38, Baadi #113, Squire/Nava #15, Mel/Baadi #56.

    The women are #26. C Campana #12, A Campana #32, Brylin #117. C Campana/Omirou #23, Killingsworth/Brylin #28.

  5. #225
    The men beat Clemson 7-0 on Friday and just beat a tough #35 GT 4-3 today. GT had just beaten #21 NC State 6-1 on Friday. Wake dominated doubles today (we have been really good at doubles lately) and then won straight sets at 3, 5, and 6. We lost at 2 and lost 3 setters at 1 and 4.

    The Wake men are now 33-29 all time against Clemson, and 18-1 in our last 19 matches against them (including winning the last 11). They are now 24-23 all time against GT, including winning the last 11.

    The women lost to Miami on Friday and are currently in a close match with Old Dominion. The Wake women have struggled recently and are at risk of not qualifying for the NCAA tournament.

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    The Wake men are now 33-29 all time against Clemson, and 18-1 in our last 19 matches against them (including winning the last 11). They are now 24-23 all time against GT, including winning the last 11.
    Were we really bad at tennis before we were really good? Or did Clemson and GT just dominate us?

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by wakephan09 View Post
    Were we really bad at tennis before we were really good? Or did Clemson and GT just dominate us?
    I would say we were previously OK, and we are now completely dominant.

  8. #228
    Also, I'd say of all of the teams in the country in college tennis, Clemson has fallen the hardest and farthest. Clemson and Duke were right on UVA's heels 10 years ago, with Wake and UNC on the outside looking in, and both of those teams have dropped off big time, and Wake and UNC have both won natty's.

    Rafi, we haven't seen Moroni since he retired vs. Elon. Is Sid playing over him, or is he still injured.

    We are definitely improving as a team, but Taha is struggling at 2 and Melios is struggling at 4 and 5, and we know that against top 8 teams, which is where we want to finish, Squire is going to have his hands full at 1. Nava at 3, and Rezi at 5/6 have been almost automatic this year.

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissRandolph View Post
    Also, I'd say of all of the teams in the country in college tennis, Clemson has fallen the hardest and farthest. Clemson and Duke were right on UVA's heels 10 years ago, with Wake and UNC on the outside looking in, and both of those teams have dropped off big time, and Wake and UNC have both won natty's.

    Rafi, we haven't seen Moroni since he retired vs. Elon. Is Sid playing over him, or is he still injured.

    We are definitely improving as a team, but Taha is struggling at 2 and Melios is struggling at 4 and 5, and we know that against top 8 teams, which is where we want to finish, Squire is going to have his hands full at 1. Nava at 3, and Rezi at 5/6 have been almost automatic this year.
    I've seen Moroni practicing, so I don't think he's completely out of commission. I think Moroni can play at a high level, but Sid and Melios are probably more consistent from match to match.

  10. #230
    Rafi, did you catch any of Taha's 3rd set on stream yesterday? Hard to imagine him winning the 2nd, all the momentum, and then get bageled. Wondered if he was cramping or just physically ran out of gas.

  11. #231
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissRandolph View Post
    Rafi, did you catch any of Taha's 3rd set on stream yesterday? Hard to imagine him winning the 2nd, all the momentum, and then get bageled. Wondered if he was cramping or just physically ran out of gas.
    I didn't. I saw Bresky made the comment that it was hot, but that didn't affect things. My thought is that is coach-speak for "it was hot, and it did affect a few players but I don't want to say who."

    Squire was down 0-4 and 2-5 in the second set, and when he got it to 6-5 in the second I thought for sure he would win.

    Very impressive showing by Nava.

  12. #232
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    I didn't. I saw Bresky made the comment that it was hot, but that didn't affect things. My thought is that is coach-speak for "it was hot, and it did affect a few players but I don't want to say who."

    Squire was down 0-4 and 2-5 in the second set, and when he got it to 6-5 in the second I thought for sure he would win.

    Very impressive showing by Nava.
    Nava, Rezi, and Sid are having great years. Squire is having a great year, he just isn't winning many top 5-10 matches YET. Taha and Melios are unfortunately not having great years, and dubs is so-so, hence why we lost 4-3 yesterday and are probably going to slot in as a top 15 team this year.

  13. #233
    Thread title change?

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
    Thread title change?
    Gotcha.

    The women had to postpone their matches today and this weekend because of COVID protocol.

  15. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    Gotcha.

    The women had to postpone their matches today and this weekend because of COVID protocol.
    Was the COVID issue within the WF program or the UNC program?

  16. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Was the COVID issue within the WF program or the UNC program?
    I assume Wake, because the Duke match is also postponed.

  17. #237
    Shocked that nobody has posted it yet but we are up 1-0 on #2 UNC and won 4 of 6 singles 1st sets.

  18. #238

  19. #239
    5-2 final. Huge win. Perhaps we're peaking right at the right time to make a serious run in the NCAA tournament

  20. #240
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    5-2 final. Huge win. Perhaps we're peaking right at the right time to make a serious run in the NCAA tournament
    Go Deacs! Any win over the heels is a great win, but this is huge.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •