• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: Men #3

The women played a decent match against #1 UNC yesterday. We took the doubles point, which is the first time UNC has lost the doubles point all year. Then, we took 2 first sets in singles (and all the first sets were close), but UNC ended up sweeping the doubles. An OK showing for us - hopefully we can build on it and get a lot of wins over the next few weeks as a schedule eases up some.

The men beat AZ State yesterday. ASU has a decent team, even though their record is poor. We took the doubles point for the second big match in a row. I've been impressed by Bar's performance at 1 this year, and he continued to play well beating a solid player in Nathan Ponwith. The Deacs play at #1 USC tomorrow at 8 PM.

Gojo won a Davis Cup match for Croatia and Petros won a futures event in Las Vegas over the weekend.

Wow, so much has changed in the world since the last post on this thread...

Wake received a verbal from a really good Italian player, Filippo Moroni. He has ATP points and looks to me like a top 3 player on a good Wake team.

not sure if this is most current thread, but is there any confirmation/encouraging info out there that tennis is definitely back on for the spring. also curious about golf

The Wake tennis season starts this weekend. There will be no fans at the indoor tennis center - hopefully the video stream works well and some fans will be allowed once the outdoor season starts.

The men are ranked #12. I think they are probably a top 5 team. UNC is 2, State is 8, UVA is 22, and Duke 23. Botzer is 31, Rrezi 92, Baadi 107, and freshman Tacchi is 121. Squire and Nava are 18 as a doubles team.

The women are ranked #16. C Campana is 21 and Omirou is 98.

It looks like the men added a transfer from Columbia, which always has a good program. Adam Amborzy played #3 singles there. The Deacs will be very deep again this year. My guess at the top 6 singles players, in order, is:

Botzer
Tacchi
Baadi
Melios
Squire
Nava

The following will also play a lot:
Moroni
Maciag
Ambrozy
Cungu
Bathia

Last edited:
thanks

so only two of the top 10 are American-born

how does that compare to other top programs?

thanks

so only two of the top 10 are American-born

how does that compare to other top programs?

I could see Nava, Ambrozy, Dill, Maciag, Solomon, and Thomson (he's from Winston-Salem) playing a fair amount.

63% of all D1 men's tennis players are international, which is by far the highest of any sport. The best teams have a large number of international players, because the best tennis players are from other countries.

Last edited:
Well, that went south quickly. The men's first five matches are postponed.

Well in fairness the football and basketball teams both took over month-long breaks during the season

I guess the men's team is still dealing with COVID issues. Missing 4 of 6 projected singles players against Oklahoma today!

I guess the men's team is still dealing with COVID issues. Missing 4 of 6 projected singles players against Oklahoma today!

They are. Some with Covid and some in contact tracing. No Bar, Squire, Baadi, Moroni, or Tacchi. They’ll be lucky to beat Oklahoma.

Deacs lost 0-4 to Oklahoma. Won at 1 dubs, lost a tiebreak at 2, and lost badly at 3. In singles we had a good number of 3 set matches but couldn’t pull any off.

I think we’ll still be a top 5 team once we get our top players back from COVID.

Deacs lost 0-4 to Oklahoma. Won at 1 dubs, lost a tiebreak at 2, and lost badly at 3. In singles we had a good number of 3 set matches but couldn’t pull any off.

I think we’ll still be a top 5 team once we get our top players back from COVID.

I hope so. Does this loss eliminate us from the Indoor Championship?

Back