• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: Men #3

No. You get 5 min to go to the bathroom, and what you do in there is your business. The word on Twitter is that Nava went to a room with AC and fans, instead of the bathroom, and someone reported that to the head ref.

That’s actually a pretty blatant violation of the rules, but I don’t think it merits an immediate default

I got a little more info on what happened and my view is that Nava was clearly in the wrong and should have known better, but the penalty should have been only one point, not an immediate default.

I got a little more info on what happened and my view is that Nava was clearly in the wrong and should have known better, but the penalty should have been only one point, not an immediate default.

can you share full story? I have heard a version of the full story, but it was from a UNC person on site. I'd love to hear a Wake version. Even hearing their version, I am shocked it was a default. Not sure if the rule allows for the head ref to make a judgment call on the punishment or if it is default or nothing.

Immediate default is definitely pretty extreme given the stage and critical nature of the match. Still sounds self-inflicted and dumb though from a player who certainly should know better. Or maybe he was willing to trade the point he thought he would be penalized.

can you share full story? I have heard a version of the full story, but it was from a UNC person on site. I'd love to hear a Wake version. Even hearing their version, I am shocked it was a default. Not sure if the rule allows for the head ref to make a judgment call on the punishment or if it is default or nothing.

It’s not really a Wake version, but from what I’ve heard, Nava told the umpire he wanted to take a bathroom break but instead went to the training room tent (which had fans or air condtioning) and chilled out for five minutes. He may have also gotten some medical treatment, or at least some pills from the trainer, which counts as medical treatment under the rules. The referee found out about this and, when confronted, Nava did not deny that he had never intended to go to the bathroom. Given the confluence of Nava using a bathroom break purely to rest and getting unauthorized medical treatment (which would normally cost you a point penalty under the rules) the referee determined it was egregious enough to merit an immediate default.

We shouldn’t ignore the fact that this is a serious and blatant rules violation and Nava definitely should have known better. And I’m sure I don’t have the full story, so I’m hesitant to second guess the ruling. But based on what I’ve heard, my opinion is that the rules don’t support jumping to an immediate default in this situation. He should have gotten a code violation and lost his medical timeout (and gotten an additional point penalty for the medical timeout). But immediate defaults are reserved for things like fighting or racial slurs, not this.

Are salt tablets allowed or are they considered "medication"?

For sake of reference, what was the score of the match when Nava was defaulted?

It was in between the 2nd and 3rd set. Nava won the 1st set 6-3, Sigouin won the 2nd set 6-4.

It was in between the 2nd and 3rd set. Nava won the 1st set 6-3, Sigouin won the 2nd set 6-4.

important to note that Nava was apparently cramping late in the 2nd set, and UNC was slated to serve to start the 3rd. I still disagree with the auto default and think a point or even game would have been much more appropriate.

Men's tennis host 1st 2 rounds 10 seed. Women make tournament play at Georgia

Men's tennis host 1st 2 rounds 10 seed. Women make tournament play at Georgia

College tennis determines seeding by a computer ranking system, but this year the rankings are wonky because some teams only played 10 matches and others 30 matches. The Big Ten only played within their conference, so the Big Ten teams ended up ranked lower than they should have been. So, the Wake men, as a 10 seed, have unranked Ohio State (20-3 record) in their part of the bracket, even though OSU should be a top 16 (probably top 10) team.

Wake Tennis (and alumni) update from the last few days:

Petros lost in the semis of a futures in Greece 6-4 in the 3rd to former Memphis AA, Ryan Peniston. He did win the dubs title though.

Squire lost yesterday to Miss St, Florian Broska, 4 and 2. Unfortunately Henri looked like he was ready to be in Germany for the summer.

Nava upset Matias Soto of Baylor. Not surprising as Soto had just played in the nat title match the night before. He gets UNC #2 Rinky H later today. he and henri also have dubs coming up vs #1 seeds.

Cungu won his first round match in Bosnia. Banthia is in Tunisia and has won his first two qualifying matches. Melios is in Greece where he won his first qualies match.

Lastly, Borna is in French Open qualies today where he won vs #4 seed 4-6, 7-6, 1-1 retire.

Wake Tennis (and alumni) update from the last few days:

Petros lost in the semis of a futures in Greece 6-4 in the 3rd to former Memphis AA, Ryan Peniston. He did win the dubs title though.

Squire lost yesterday to Miss St, Florian Broska, 4 and 2. Unfortunately Henri looked like he was ready to be in Germany for the summer.

Nava upset Matias Soto of Baylor. Not surprising as Soto had just played in the nat title match the night before. He gets UNC #2 Rinky H later today. he and henri also have dubs coming up vs #1 seeds.

Cungu won his first round match in Bosnia. Banthia is in Tunisia and has won his first two qualifying matches. Melios is in Greece where he won his first qualies match.

Lastly, Borna is in French Open qualies today where he won vs #4 seed 4-6, 7-6, 1-1 retire.

Excellent update. Thanks!

I didn't see Squire's match, but read that he was up 4-1 in the first set and then fell apart. That's too bad. Nava played well in his match - Hijikata will be tough (he beat Squire in the ACC tourney).

Tough loss for Nava yesterday 6 and 4 to Rinky from UNC. Rinky is tough. Then another tough loss in dubs 3 and 5 to the #1 seeds. I watched both matches, and we played well but just not well enough on some big points.

Rafi or others, do you know whether Cungu or Nava will be back next year? We didn't really celebrate them as seniors this year so I was wondering.

On the pro side, Petros won his 1st round in Greece. Melios and Rezi both qualified into the main draw in Greece and Bosnia respectively. Sid lost his qualiles finals match but is in main draw in dubs. Borna in 2nd round of French Open qualies in the morning.

I wouldn’t expect Gojo’s game to translate very well to red clay. Would be cool if he made the main draw.

Wake Tennis twitter account just posted that the entire roster from last year is coming back. If that comes to fruition and the current commits also come, we should be a contender for National Champ again.

1. Karimov
2. Squire
3. Nava
4. Taha
5. Schnaitter
6. Melios/Rezi/Sid/Moroni/Draper

or something like that. Rafi, any thoughts?

Wake Tennis twitter account just posted that the entire roster from last year is coming back. If that comes to fruition and the current commits also come, we should be a contender for National Champ again.

1. Karimov
2. Squire
3. Nava
4. Taha
5. Schnaitter
6. Melios/Rezi/Sid/Moroni/Draper

or something like that. Rafi, any thoughts?

That would be crazy, if correct. Nava coming back? I love to see it, as I really enjoy watching him play, but that is a long time in college! Though I would guess many would spend longer in college if they could do it over again...

I think Squire will still play 1, and maybe Nava still at 2. I think they both have higher UTRs than Karimov (though that's not always a great measure). Our depth will be incredible.

That would be crazy, if correct. Nava coming back? I love to see it, as I really enjoy watching him play, but that is a long time in college! Though I would guess many would spend longer in college if they could do it over again...

I think Squire will still play 1, and maybe Nava still at 2. I think they both have higher UTRs than Karimov (though that's not always a great measure). Our depth will be incredible.

I have seen no threads on men’s tennis recently. Squire appears to be playing futures tournaments in Germany at the moment. Is he returning ? How about the guy from Uzbekistan ?

I have seen no threads on men’s tennis recently. Squire appears to be playing futures tournaments in Germany at the moment. Is he returning ? How about the guy from Uzbekistan ?

I have heard the following:

Squire is not attending this semester but will likely be back next semester. He’s playing really well.

The dude from Uzbekistan arrived last week.

There was a UTR tournament this weekend at Wake. Moroni beat Schnaitter in 3 sets in the finals. They were the two top Wake singles players in the tournament. Draper played but didn’t do so well.

Back