• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: Men #3

UVA romps UK, somewhat surprisingly. Botzer played big in the last two matches. They dropped him to 6 and he rolled. 2 natty's for him.

I see that Filo and Nava are playing in singles champs today. I find it hard to believe that Filo is healthy enough to play today, but wasn't a week ago against Kentucky.

We have some serious, serious roster construction to do this summer if we want to be competitive at all next year.

Filo wins. Also found it odd he was playing today

We can't win the national championship every year.

As Skip Prosser would say, show me where it says that in the rule book?

The men’s team has a big rebuild for next year, but I have no doubt in Bresky’s ability to build another top team.

I don't have concerns about Tony and Chris's ability to do it either, BUT this year the task seems exceptionally large due to the graduations of Rezi, Nava, and Jakob, and the transfers of Sid and Taha. Tony's ability to find guys overseas that turn out huge like Borna and Henri is legendary, but I think if we want get back to top 5 status, we are going to need a combination of top American juniors (which we've never gotten sans Noah), transfer portal additions, and top Intl juniors like Petros.

I don't have concerns about Tony and Chris's ability to do it either, BUT this year the task seems exceptionally large due to the graduations of Rezi, Nava, and Jakob, and the transfers of Sid and Taha. Tony's ability to find guys overseas that turn out huge like Borna and Henri is legendary, but I think if we want get back to top 5 status, we are going to need a combination of top American juniors (which we've never gotten sans Noah), transfer portal additions, and top Intl juniors like Petros.

Realize that due to the international aspect, tennis recruiting is different than other sports as some international players are added to the roster even after the school year starts, but is there any word on how WF has recruited for next year? Are there any U.S. juniors committed and/or signed?

As Skip Prosser would say, show me where it says that in the rule book?

The men’s team has a big rebuild for next year, but I have no doubt in Bresky’s ability to build another top team.
My point was that not winning the national championship does not necessarily signal a program in decline

My point was that not winning the national championship does not necessarily signal a program in decline
That wasn't the point I was making it all. More the negative transfer momentum and roster becoming less elite.

That wasn't the point I was making it all. More the negative transfer momentum and roster becoming less elite.
"Negative...momentum" and "less elite" sound a lot like decline to me

We've built a program. There will be swings, but we'll reload.

"Negative...momentum" and "less elite" sound a lot like decline to me

We've built a program. There will be swings, but we'll reload.
Yeah you could be worried about a program decline without thinking that we should win the national championship each year.

Cool. Lets hope we quickly rebuild a top 10 team.

Oh, I know. I was just trying to make a joke around one of my favorite Prosser sayings!

Gojo lost in the 2nd round of the French to vet Filip Krajinovic. Really good run for Gojo as he won 3 qualifying matches, and then won his first round match.

Nava to quarters

Nava was down 1-4 in the third set tiebreaker and came back to win it 7-5. Nava is playing well over his rank coming into the tournament. Classic Wake.

Wasn't a criticism of the 2022 Men's tennis team was that WF lacked a true #1? Now, Nava's in the Final 8 of the country. Hmmm....

Wasn't a criticism of the 2022 Men's tennis team was that WF lacked a true #1? Now, Nava's in the Final 8 of the country. Hmmm....

Both are correct. We lacked a dominant #1. Nava is playing well right now, and he also was down in the second round and his opponent had to withdraw because of illness.

Both are correct. We lacked a dominant #1. Nava is playing well right now, and he also was down in the second round and his opponent had to withdraw because of illness.

Any updates on any mens tennis recruits and/or transfers ?

Has been crickets unfortunately. Here is what I know:

Taha - transferring to Kentucky
Sid - doing his last year at Cal Berkley
Ben, Jakob, Edu, and Rezi all done with eligibility

Karimov - I think he will be back for 1 more year
Melios - I am thinking he will be back for 1 more year
Filo - Will be back and should have at least 2, maybe 3 years left

Matt Thomson, Rob Maciag, and Juan Lopez should all be back, but frankly they aren't top 6 singles guys for any team in the top 15 IMO.

Of the guys we've yet to see play, Tacchi, Duan, and Vikas Deo appear the most likely to see court time.

All that to say, we are going to need some serious firepower to come via transfer or mid-year international guys or we should expect a significant drop. I am confident, but that confident wanes every day as we get closer to August, especially when it comes to transfers.

Back