• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: Men #3

No taha? Where has schnaitter been the last couple of weeks?

I had Taha and then dropped him and added Schnaitter. I’m probably too influenced by Taha losing our only match so far this year, but I also think Schnaitter and Filo may be better than Taha.

Schnaitter has been at the matches, just not playing. I think he used a lot of match days in the fall, so he has to skip some matches this spring.

Wake Forest Tennis 2022 - Women at Home This Sunday at 11 AM

The Taha loss was disappointing to see the other day, but he has been in the top 3 in every lineup we throw out there. Would be shocked if he’s healthy and not in the lineup.

Also, Karimov was in the lineup last match but got pulled at the last second. Hope he’s ok.

Not sure of who was playing, but Texas got beaten by Arizona today.

The Taha loss was disappointing to see the other day, but he has been in the top 3 in every lineup we throw out there. Would be shocked if he’s healthy and not in the lineup.

Also, Karimov was in the lineup last match but got pulled at the last second. Hope he’s ok.

I agree. Taha will be somewhere between 3-5. Karimov, nava, Melios, taha, rezi - I think those 5 are set. 6 is interesting - filo or schnaitter, with Sid up next

Taha was 4 against UNCC, and he lost in straight sets. But I agree that the last two years suggest he’ll play top 6.

Match with #1 tenn coming down to 3rd set at #4

tough one, but we were right there. they kind of gifted us the dubs point after they were up 5-2 and 2 breaks on #1. Mel and Taha looked great. Filo was right there so no complaints. We have to win at 6 though, and if it isn't Jakob, then sid or rezi need to play there. Walton and Monday are both top of the food chain college players, so i am not at all surprised we lost there, but the scores were bad. I think we will rally though and end up a top 5 team.

tough one, but we were right there. they kind of gifted us the dubs point after they were up 5-2 and 2 breaks on #1. Mel and Taha looked great. Filo was right there so no complaints. We have to win at 6 though, and if it isn't Jakob, then sid or rezi need to play there. Walton and Monday are both top of the food chain college players, so i am not at all surprised we lost there, but the scores were bad. I think we will rally though and end up a top 5 team.

Good takes. Mel looked great. I shouldn't have doubted Taha. Maybe we can run it back outdoors in the NCAA tourney with Rezi in that 6 slot.

i'm not ready to give up on Jakob at all, i just know for us to be top 5 we need to win at 6. Karimov will round into form, its just going to take time. Nava needs to drop to 2 and i think he'll have more success than not. Mel seems to smashing the ball, taha is going to be very solid at 3, 4 or 5. I need to see more of Jakob, but i agree with rafi that outdoors it will be very tough to keep rezi out of that 5 or 6 spot. I'm glad we have 2 matches fri and sat against opponents not as strong as UT, but much better than anyone else we've played. good chance to get the loss out of mouth and fine tune some things. when karimov was getting waxed, i remember noah and petros both losing their first matches

i'm not ready to give up on Jakob at all, i just know for us to be top 5 we need to win at 6. Karimov will round into form, its just going to take time. Nava needs to drop to 2 and i think he'll have more success than not. Mel seems to smashing the ball, taha is going to be very solid at 3, 4 or 5. I need to see more of Jakob, but i agree with rafi that outdoors it will be very tough to keep rezi out of that 5 or 6 spot. I'm glad we have 2 matches fri and sat against opponents not as strong as UT, but much better than anyone else we've played. good chance to get the loss out of mouth and fine tune some things. when karimov was getting waxed, i remember noah and petros both losing their first matches

This isn't true. Petros never lost a match.

Agree with all of this, though my concern is Karimov never rounds into form because of his shoulder injury.

Agree with all of this, though my concern is Karimov never rounds into form because of his shoulder injury.

then you play him at 1 and take your chances with nava at 2. His record at 2 last year was impressive. i think K will end up fine, just maybe not the elite top 5 college player. If he plays friday, he'll get a really good opponent - andrew fenty or someone else.

Should be a great match between #10 Wake and #17 Michigan tonight at 5 PM at the Wake Indoor. Michigan is probably better than #17 - they were hurt from a ranking standpoint from only playing Big 10 schools last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan's coach is still salty toward Wake/Bresky after our NCAA match in 2016 when Wake played an injured Bogaerts to move everyone down a spot. Their coach was NOT happy then.

Should be a great match between #10 Wake and #17 Michigan tonight at 5 PM at the Wake Indoor. Michigan is probably better than #17 - they were hurt from a ranking standpoint from only playing Big 10 schools last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan's coach is still salty toward Wake/Bresky after our NCAA match in 2016 when Wake played an injured Bogaerts to move everyone down a spot. Their coach was NOT happy then.

Anybody have updates?

Wake Forest Tennis 2022 - Men at Home This Friday at 5 PM

We lost doubles (won on 3 and lost tiebreaks on 1 and 2). We lost at 1 and 2 singles, won pretty easily on 6, and won three setters on 3-5.

I think Rezi is probably shut down until the outdoor season.

Jurabek looked rough. Hopefully he can get back into form and be a decent #1. We are really tough from 3-6.

Last edited:
Good, albeit, tough 4-1 over ND tonight. Relatively routine dubs win and then Taha easily to make it 2-0. I honestly don’t think he should lose at 6 outside of maybe the top 3-4 teams in the nation. Karimov went down at 1 to make it 2-1. He’s just got to get more consistent, but right now he isn’t able to play with the top guys. Schnaitter looked solid at 5 to get us to 3-1. Melios and Moroni both came back to win their 2nd sets to go 3 but before they really got going Nava clinched 6-1 in the 3rd. Really happy to see him get the win. Until Karimov gets his level up, we need Nava. 2 double headers next weekend, headlined by a good UCF team on Saturday, and then a really good UGA team on Sunday.

My take from watching both matches this weekend:

Karimov - looks the part of a #1. Tall, effortless power, big serve. But he looks slow and lost almost all of the deuce points. Hopefully with more matches his speed and gamesmanship will improve.

Nava - solid in the 2 spot. Didn’t look confident in the third set on Friday but looked much more confident yesterday.

Mel - in good shape and moves well. A warrior that I would rarely count out of a match. Looked frustrated yesterday but fought his way back into it.

Filo - technically very skilled. Really good backhand.

Schnaiiter - looked strong at 5. Good all around game.

Baadi - will be tough at 6. Looked very confident.

I think Rezi will be in the mix once the outdoor season starts.

Doubles played really well yesterday - ND usually has very solid dubs but we looked dominant. Sid, Draper, and Maciag are all solid doubles players.

Our team is short, which is very different from our previous teams that had Borna, Skander, Seraphim, Gadjiev, etc all over 6’5” and were physically imposing.

Back