• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: Men #3

I assume Henri would be taking at least the semester off. I have noticed his good results. Is Rezi coming back? I assume no, as he is playing futures right now as well. Anyone else from last year not on the team?

Assuming Henri comes back:

Henri and Karimov at 1 and 2
Nava at 3
Taha, Moroni, Sid, Schnaitter, Melios - those 5 vying for 3 spots

That is a lineup, with some good dubs, that could be back in top 5

Noticed these tidbits on the new roster yesterday:
Nava is very much there, so a little surprised he wasn't listed as playing ITA All Americans, but neither is Taha, who is also on roster.
Cungu was listed, even though he is playing a futures right now in Montenegro
No Squire as expected
Also, noticed 2 freshman I wasn't expecting, Vikas Deo and Togman Makzume. Not a whole lot out there on either of them. Deo from TX, Makzume from Turkey. Both look to be pretty good players but probably not top 6 guys.

Noticed these tidbits on the new roster yesterday:
Nava is very much there, so a little surprised he wasn't listed as playing ITA All Americans, but neither is Taha, who is also on roster.
Cungu was listed, even though he is playing a futures right now in Montenegro
No Squire as expected
Also, noticed 2 freshman I wasn't expecting, Vikas Deo and Togman Makzume. Not a whole lot out there on either of them. Deo from TX, Makzume from Turkey. Both look to be pretty good players but probably not top 6 guys.

Nava and Baadi played in the tournament last weekend (just doubles). Makzume played too, but he lost to a junior player.

Rafi, saw that Melios was playing in South Africa today (actually just qualified for MD), and Rezi is in qualies finals tomorrow in Montenegro. Both listed on roster, but so is Squire. Do you know if they both plan to show up in January?

Rafi, saw that Melios was playing in South Africa today (actually just qualified for MD), and Rezi is in qualies finals tomorrow in Montenegro. Both listed on roster, but so is Squire. Do you know if they both plan to show up in January?

I haven't heard specifics from anyone I would trust. The announcement last year was that all were returning, but obviously things change. I'll see if I can get some info.

WF tennis won another national championship this past weekend. Anna Brylin and Brooke Killingsworth won the Fall ITA All-American doubles championship. That is the 29th national championship for Wake Forest and the 10th in tennis. Tennis now has the most national championships for Wake, with golf in second at 9. This is the first national championship since John Currie took over as athletic director.

IMR - I still haven't heard any solid info on who will be returning for the men's team this spring.

Filo Moroni played some solid tennis at the men's fall national championship in singles. He advanced through pre-qualifying and qualifying rounds, and then won a main draw match. He beat several higher ranked players during his run.

Quick little update:

ITA National Fall Champs start today in San Diego. Taha is in singles draw and Schnaitter/Banthia are the 6 seed in dubs. We are also hosting our lone fall tournament this weekend. Last weekend we played a series of exhibition matches vs. TAMU, South Carolina, and FSU, and won all 3 pretty easily, but I would take that with a grain of salt, as everyone was playing a B lineup.

On the pro circuit, Squire is having some serious success, so much so that I doubt we will see him in a Wake uniform again, but hopefully I am wrong. Rezi and Mel also playing quite a bit with some moderate success. Depending on who shows up in January, this team could be a national title contender.

Quick little update:Is Jurabek Karimov going to play any in the fall.? Or is he just acclimating to school.

ITA National Fall Champs start today in San Diego. Taha is in singles draw and Schnaitter/Banthia are the 6 seed in dubs. We are also hosting our lone fall tournament this weekend. Last weekend we played a series of exhibition matches vs. TAMU, South Carolina, and FSU, and won all 3 pretty easily, but I would take that with a grain of salt, as everyone was playing a B lineup.

On the pro circuit, Squire is having some serious success, so much so that I doubt we will see him in a Wake uniform again, but hopefully I am wrong. Rezi and Mel also playing quite a bit with some moderate success. Depending on who shows up in January, this team could be a national title contender.

Is Jurabek Karimov going to play in the fall? Or is he just acclimating to school. JJ

Is Jurabek Karimov going to play in the fall? Or is he just acclimating to school. JJ

I don't know and have been curious myself. He was listed on the entries for the qualies of All Americans several weeks ago but pulled out. My guess is there is either a small injury, or we are double and triple checking eligibility.

I don't know and have been curious myself. He was listed on the entries for the qualies of All Americans several weeks ago but pulled out. My guess is there is either a small injury, or we are double and triple checking eligibility.

He's at Wake and practicing, or at least he was several weeks ago.

He's at Wake and practicing, or at least he was several weeks ago.

Looks like Karimov will make his Wake debut on campus this weekend, albeit just playing dubs

Taha lost 6-4 in the 3rd to Oklahoma's #2 at ITA Champs yesterday. Sid/Schnaitter won their first round match. Squire lost in 2nd round of Germany challenger, but he has gone from 1450 in the world this summer, to inside the top 600. Pretty meteoric rise.

BTTT

Men's Tennis returns to action on Saturday with a doubleheader vs Tenn Tech. Will be interested to see who is out there. Based on IG pics, Nava, Moroni, Maciag, and Thomson are already there. I have a high degree of confidence based on the fall that Taha, Schnaitter, Azcona, and Banthia will be there. Karimov played once in fall so I would assume he would be back, but don't know for sure. Based on IG posts recently, i am assuming Rezi, Melios, and Luciano are all traveling back to play the spring. I have no official word, but I am betting that Henri Squire turns pro. With Squire, we are certainly top 5 and maybe top 2. Without him, depending on Karimov's form, i think we are definitely top 10, and maybe top 5.

BTTT

Men's Tennis returns to action on Saturday with a doubleheader vs Tenn Tech. Will be interested to see who is out there. Based on IG pics, Nava, Moroni, Maciag, and Thomson are already there. I have a high degree of confidence based on the fall that Taha, Schnaitter, Azcona, and Banthia will be there. Karimov played once in fall so I would assume he would be back, but don't know for sure. Based on IG posts recently, i am assuming Rezi, Melios, and Luciano are all traveling back to play the spring. I have no official word, but I am betting that Henri Squire turns pro. With Squire, we are certainly top 5 and maybe top 2. Without him, depending on Karimov's form, i think we are definitely top 10, and maybe top 5.

I agree with all of this. I think the double header is Sunday, though.

My impression has also been that Squire will not be at Wake this spring. However, there is a UTR tournament at Wake this weekend, and Squire is registered. Maybe the staff signed him up just in case? Also, Bar is registered, which could be interesting/awkward.

Here's my guess at the line-up:

Squire
Nava
Baadi
Rezi
Schnaitter
Filo

Karimov
Melios
Banthia
Maciag
Azcona
Luciano
Draper

Squire/Nava
Banthia/Thompson
Karimov/Schnaitter

This is an incredibly deep team.

I agree with all of this. I think the double header is Sunday, though.

My impression has also been that Squire will not be at Wake this spring. However, there is a UTR tournament at Wake this weekend, and Squire is registered. Maybe the staff signed him up just in case? Also, Bar is registered, which could be interesting/awkward.

This is an incredibly deep team.

Do you have a link to the UTR tourney? I am not seeing it. NM, just found it

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the UTR tourney? I am not seeing it. NM, just found it

It’s wrong. For some reason an old UTR tournament comes up on my phone. The tournament this week does NOT have Squire signed up. Sorry about that error.

It’s wrong. For some reason an old UTR tournament comes up on my phone. The tournament this week does NOT have Squire signed up. Sorry about that error.

yep, saw that. knowing that, i'll stick with my guess that squire is turning pro. if karimov can regain his old form and play #1, keeping nava and taha at 2 and 3, we will be really good. Melios, Rezi, Sid, Moroni, and Schnaitter give us 5 really good options at 4-6

Also fairly certain Squire is turning pro.

Our lineup is ridiculously deep, so we should really clean up at 4-6. Look for a comeback year for Melios after the COVID year really had him struggling.

Our problem is still going to be at 2/3 against other elite teams. Throwing Squire and Karimov out there would’ve been championship worthy but Henri got too good too quick. Nava and Taha are solid, but will need yet another step up to have us back in title consideration.

Back