• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: #6 Men Beat #16 NC State

You all have good memories! The 4 losses were:

Last year to #2 Baylor
Last year to #4 UVA
Last year to #35 Ohio State. This was in the NCAA tournament and OSU was really a top 10 team but because of COVID they only played other BIG10 teams so they were not ranked properly.
2017-2018 to #10 Florida. This is the one I remember the best. I'm pretty sure it was on Easter. We were ranked #1 and won multiple championships that year (we went something like 31-2 overall, only losing to FL and FSU). I watched a lot of Yuval Solomon at 6 singles, who had close games but lost every single deuce point to lose his match 0-6, 0-6. We didn't lose another match after that on our way to the ACC and NCAA championships.

The NC State loss was in 2015 or 2016, and you're correct that I think Skander and Petros were playing Davis Cup. I remember a lot of discussion on this site about how terrible the loss was and how it could tank our season (it didn't - we won 17 of our next 18 matches and the ACC championship).

Pretty impressive season this year for not having any elite players. We are just handling teams with our depth. Would like to beat UVA (and Botzer) for the ACC title. Not expecting a huge run in the NCAAs because of our problems up top. Sucks to see Filo in a wrist brace, he was having a pretty nice season.

Pretty impressive season this year for not having any elite players. We are just handling teams with our depth. Would like to beat UVA (and Botzer) for the ACC title. Not expecting a huge run in the NCAAs because of our problems up top. Sucks to see Filo in a wrist brace, he was having a pretty nice season.

Yep. If Squire had come back he would have been an elite #1. We were hoping Karimov could replace him, but injuries have prevented him from playing at an elite level. We are obviously still really good, and hopefully can finish top 8 before NCAAs so we can host through until the quarterfinals.

What’s the scoop on Filo? Noticed the black “cast” on his left wrist yesterday on the stream. Made me think his return before the end of the year isn’t likely. I’d love to see us keep the top 3 karimov, Nava, melios, then play matchups from 3 with schnaitter and rezi at 4 and 5, and either sid or taha at 6. Am still just super surprised that taha has dropped from 2 to not even in the lineup some. Was also pretty surprised to see Sid get rolled yesterday.

What’s the scoop on Filo? Noticed the black “cast” on his left wrist yesterday on the stream. Made me think his return before the end of the year isn’t likely. I’d love to see us keep the top 3 karimov, Nava, melios, then play matchups from 3 with schnaitter and rezi at 4 and 5, and either sid or taha at 6. Am still just super surprised that taha has dropped from 2 to not even in the lineup some. Was also pretty surprised to see Sid get rolled yesterday.

Not sure about the injury with Filo, but he was wearing a hard cast so he may not be back this year. Sid looked like his arm was bothering him yesterday in the Duke match, but he did play in the second match so hopefully nothing too significant.

The NC State loss was in 2015 or 2016, and you're correct that I think Skander and Petros were playing Davis Cup. I remember a lot of discussion on this site about how terrible the loss was and how it could tank our season (it didn't - we won 17 of our next 18 matches and the ACC championship).

Lolol, I remember these conversations now! Hilarious

You all have good memories! The 4 losses were:

Last year to #2 Baylor
Last year to #4 UVA
Last year to #35 Ohio State. This was in the NCAA tournament and OSU was really a top 10 team but because of COVID they only played other BIG10 teams so they were not ranked properly.
2017-2018 to #10 Florida. This is the one I remember the best. I'm pretty sure it was on Easter. We were ranked #1 and won multiple championships that year (we went something like 31-2 overall, only losing to FL and FSU). I watched a lot of Yuval Solomon at 6 singles, who had close games but lost every single deuce point to lose his match 0-6, 0-6. We didn't lose another match after that on our way to the ACC and NCAA championships.

To make that Solomon story even more unusual. If I am not mistaken , he had beaten Alfredo Perez of Florida in a fall tournament. Alfredo Perez was an elite player highly ranked at that time.

To make that Solomon story even more unusual. If I am not mistaken , he had beaten Alfredo Perez of Florida in a fall tournament. Alfredo Perez was an elite player highly ranked at that time.

Great memory. You are correct that Solomon beat Perez, who was a top 10 player, in the fall. Petros beat Perez in that match in two very close sets.

we are in serious danger of losing to GT in our opening game.

we are in serious danger of losing to GT in our opening game.

Lost 2-4 to GT. Bad loss, and it will likely bump us out of the top 8 spots for the NCAA tournament. The Wake men's tennis team rarely loses a match they shouldn't, but this is one of them.

9th seed. host vs radford and then auburn/texas tech winner.

Kentucky is the 8th seed. TCU #1

Women in athens vs NW and #14 Ga if we win. I think I remember saying something last year that we've been in the Georgia Regional last year like six out of seven years.

Men beat Radford yesterday and play Auburn today. Don't seem like we are peaking right now so hopefully we have enough at home to get us to nationals.

Women beat NW and likely play UGa tomorrow. Normally UGA is one of the top teams but they are down this year. Our women's team always seems to be close to pulling off upsets like this but can never get over the hump. would be nice to do so tomorrow.

The Wake women beat NW 4-2 earlier today, so they'll play UGA tomorrow.

4-1 men on to nationals

The men will go to Kentucky to play them in the super regionals. UK is the 8 seed and we're the 9.

Solid win for the Wake men over Auburn. Auburn was playing well at the end of the year - they beat #9 USC in the SEC tournament, and then lost 1-4 to UK in the semis, but the final two matches were in the third sets. Wake knows the UK players well, as the UK players competed in a lot of summer events at Wake. They have a top 3 player in the country at 1 singles, and they're really tough at the top of the lineup.

In the NCAA Women's Tennis Tournament, the WF women have lost at UGA to UGA in 2018, 2019 and 2021 (the 2020 NCAAT was canceled). They play at UGA today.

You would think the selection committee could get a little more creative with their seeding of this event.

In the NCAA Women's Tennis Tournament, the WF women have lost at UGA to UGA in 2018, 2019 and 2021 (the 2020 NCAAT was canceled). They play at UGA today.

You would think the selection committee could get a little more creative with their seeding of this event.

Usually UGa is a top 5 team. they are down this year just barely seeded.

Back