• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: Men #3

Lots of home matches this weekend. The men play #25 UCF Friday at 3 PM and NC Wesleyan Friday at 6 PM, and then on Sunday they play #7 UGA at 1 PM and NC Central at 5 PM. The women host South Carolina Saturday at 11 AM and Campbell Saturday at 3:30 PM.

close dubs point as expected. 7-6, 5-7, 6-3. I think having to win 4 would have doable but tough. I expect 5 (taha) and 6 (schnaitter) to roll and get us to 3-0. Next point could be anywhere. I'd love to for it to come from Karimov, but not going to bet that one. Moroni prob has best chance but his matches are typically long. I'll go with Melios.

#7 UGA at 1. Should be a battle. They should be better than Michigan, and more in line with Tennessee. Dubs point will be crucial.
Don’t like our chances at 1 vs bryde
Nava beat henning last year in a close one
Melios vs Stewart and filo vs McCormick will both be battles. They are both 5th yr senior transfers.
I do like taha and schnaitter at 5 and 6. Expect 4-3 either way.

Dominant doubles point for Wake.

Great win for the team’s psyche. Mel was the most impressive. After the first set he went into another gear. Nava holding it down at 3 was big, and then Schnaitter was clutch. Filo was incredible in his first set. His backhand can be so good at times, and then he had chances in the second and third to win it. Credit his opponent for playing really aggressive on the big points. His opponent (transfer from Notre Dame), also got a lot of free points off his serve.

Really solid win. Karimov seems to be slowly getting better. Mel was absolutely dominant. His fh was on fire. Nava was solid as was Filo, who had match points in the 2nd and 3rd. A little disappointed in taha. After he won 2nd, I fully expected him to roll. Thankfully Jakob was there to pick them up. This team has a real chance. South Carolina on Thursday and then a trip to Ohio st, who should be the new#1.

The men laid an egg at South Carolina. SC is good, they’re #13 and undefeated, so it’s not terrible to lose there. But we weren’t very competitive.

Doubles was very close - that can often go either way. It’s hard to know how much to trust the score tracker (seemed all over the place), but it seemed we were up first set breaks with Nava and Mel, and lost both in straight sets. Rezi played 4 and was down the entire time. Filo and Baadi struggled to win at 5 and 6 (though they both won). Not a great outing for the Deacs.

Tough loss. Weird match. Unfortunately no live streaming so hard to tell how things went down. Dubs point was obviously very close and could have gone either way. Singles matches were up and down. Nice to see Karimov get the first set, but doesn't look like he offered much resistance after that. The first sets for Nava and Mel really hurt us. Nava was up 5-2 in the first and then was serving 4-4 in the 2nd. Mel up 4-2 in the first and then had a couple of break points at 5-3 down in the 2nd. Tough ask for Rezy as he hasn't played much, at least not against a high level opponent recently. I assume we just wanted to get him some match play. Moroni got the W, but really should have closed it sooner as he was a set and 3-0. Solid outing for Taha. Not going to make much of the loss, but I'll say that if want to get much higher than 6-9, we are going to have to win dubs point more often than not. OSU on Sunday is going to be tough. I hope we can make it a close one unlike UT and UVA recently.

Tough loss. Weird match. Unfortunately no live streaming so hard to tell how things went down. Dubs point was obviously very close and could have gone either way. Singles matches were up and down. Nice to see Karimov get the first set, but doesn't look like he offered much resistance after that. The first sets for Nava and Mel really hurt us. Nava was up 5-2 in the first and then was serving 4-4 in the 2nd. Mel up 4-2 in the first and then had a couple of break points at 5-3 down in the 2nd. Tough ask for Rezy as he hasn't played much, at least not against a high level opponent recently. I assume we just wanted to get him some match play. Moroni got the W, but really should have closed it sooner as he was a set and 3-0. Solid outing for Taha. Not going to make much of the loss, but I'll say that if want to get much higher than 6-9, we are going to have to win dubs point more often than not. OSU on Sunday is going to be tough. I hope we can make it a close one unlike UT and UVA recently.

Agreed, though Taha won the first set 10-8 in the tiebreaker against an 11 UTR (which is basically a strong high school player). Pretty rough outing overall for the Deacs. OSU is probably the best team in the country right now - hopefully we can have a decent match.

Didn't realize Taha was playing an 11! Looking at the other teams in the top 10, us and UVA are the only 2 that don't appear to have a dominant player at 1 and in most cases dominant players at 1 and 2. Depth is important, but we it is going to be tough to be really good relying on 3-6 every match vs other top 10 teams.

Didn't realize Taha was playing an 11! Looking at the other teams in the top 10, us and UVA are the only 2 that don't appear to have a dominant player at 1 and in most cases dominant players at 1 and 2. Depth is important, but we it is going to be tough to be really good relying on 3-6 every match vs other top 10 teams.

Yep, the guy he played lost to Presbyterian at 6 singles and was beaten 2,3 by a 16 year old at the Wake indoor last month.

You're absolutely right. Not having a dominant 1 makes everything so much more difficult. And in practice the guys are facing that dominant player, which is also an issue.

Deacs got blitzed by #1 Ohio State today. OSU is very good, especially indoors, but we haven't looked good the last two matches. The only positive is that Karimov is at least putting up decent fights at 1 singles against tough opponents. We head to Seattle for the national indoors next weekend.

Deacs got blitzed by #1 Ohio State today. OSU is very good, especially indoors, but we haven't looked good the last two matches. The only positive is that Karimov is at least putting up decent fights at 1 singles against tough opponents. We head to Seattle for the national indoors next weekend.

I watched none of the dubs, so can't comment there. Did watch most of the singles.

1. Karimov is definitely improving, and I think will be even better outdoors
2. Mel - didn't watch a ton of this court, but clearly he got destroyed. Hasn't played well since beating Bryde.
3. Nava - tough loss, but played well. We should be pleased with how he is playing
4. Moroni - definitely surprised at his score
5. Schnaitter - didn't watch much, but it was one of the closer ones
6. Taha - Am most surprised at this court. I just wouldnt have guessed he'd get beat like this at 6

I'm hoping for 2-1 at NTI. I think we will see Cungu at 4 or 5 once we go outside.

Not a fan of the NTI draw. Get UGA again at 6:30 EST on Friday night. Then if we win, we rematch Ohio St.

Back