• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF starters transferring to P5 teams

Starting WF graduates transferring to P5 teams are:

• Aggressive Achievers

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Opportunists

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Disloyal Users

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Hard Workers

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This depends on if they are starters or not to me. Transferring to try to get PT then that’s fine.

Too Black and White of a poll. People leave for a myriad of reasons; some related to sports, some not. Off the top of my head those could be:

Academics
Girl/social life
Homesick/family

I would say opportunist, although it may be for different reasons. Just like you might change jobs for a better opportunity.....more money, better training, location, family reasons, long term prospects, etc.

I don't have any issue with any player who wants to exercise agency. Coaches come and go as they want without penalty. Scholarships are year-to-year, so any "debt" an athlete may have is paid at the end of each season. Newman is graduating a Deac. If he wants a what he considers a better opportunity for himself somewhere else, good for him. I'll still root for him and consider him a Deac when he makes it at the next level.

Opportunist can have a bad connotation. I voted Aggressive Achiever.

This depends on if they are starters or not to me. Transferring to try to get PT then that’s fine.

I agree a bit with this. If we did not have Sam H. waiting in the wings I'd be upset. As it is, it's fine, and I think we are in a better position overall (current and future) than had he stayed.

“Starting WF graduates transferring. . .”

First word in poll question is “starting.”

I don't have any issue with any player who wants to exercise agency. Coaches come and go as they want without penalty. Scholarships are year-to-year, so any "debt" an athlete may have is paid at the end of each season. Newman is graduating a Deac. If he wants a what he considers a better opportunity for himself somewhere else, good for him. I'll still root for him and consider him a Deac when he makes it at the next level.

Opportunist can have a bad connotation. I voted Aggressive Achiever.

Wake, and many other schools now guarantee scholarships through 5 years or graduation, whichever comes first. Participate in a sport, doing what is required there, go to class and maintain grades, and your 'ship is guaranteed.

Wake, and many other schools now guarantee scholarships through 5 years or graduation, whichever comes first. Participate in a sport, doing what is required there, go to class and maintain grades, and your 'ship is guaranteed.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Deaconblue again.

Thank you for sharing. I obviously didn't know that, and I'm glad to hear it. Good for us. This info moves my needle a bit, but not enough to totally change my opinion.

Roughly 3 out of 5 respondents say WF starters transferring to P5 teams are opportunists.

Roughly 1 out of 5 respondents combined say they are either aggressive achievers or hard workers.

Roughly 1 out of 5 respondents say they are disloyal users.

It usually takes a year to learn a new system, and coaches rightfully prefer younger players if they're close in ability. A younger player could threaten to transfer if denied PT from 1year rental. Additionally, a SEC coach's word means next to nothing. They just want to be as deep as Bama.

I wish Jamie well, but this will be a tricky year to navigate.

Back