• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of College Basketball

diverdeac

Reaction score
Unwatchable for me. Not just Wake. Pretty much every team. Lack of fundamental skills. Lack of relating to the players. I picked up the ACC Sports preview, recognized about 1/2 dozen non wake guys. The revolving door. I've been a HUGE fan over the years and love the game the way it supposed to be played. A no. 10 team from 10 or 20 years ago would beat the living shit out of the FSU team we played Wed.

Pathetic all around.

College football has become much more interesting as talent especially at the QB position is more spread around and the offenses opened up. There is a half dozen or so dominate programs, but another 40 or so solid teams. Its fun to watch.

Danny Manning has sucked the life out of our program but the problem is bigger than this.

It doesn’t even occur to me to watch college basketball games if I’m just sitting around on a weekday night or a Saturday. I’ve watched Wake a few times but I haven’t watched any games not involving us. I can’t even tell you what any UNC or Duke players even look like and their names except Tre Jones.

No mention of the horrid 3 point shooting and the inconsistent officiating. Shooting 25 foul shots in the first half is ridiculous.

I'm sure the powers that be (and were) at WF are thrilled and relieved to know there's now another excuse for their disgusting incompetence.

It doesn’t even occur to me to watch college basketball games if I’m just sitting around on a weekday night or a Saturday. I’ve watched Wake a few times but I haven’t watched any games not involving us. I can’t even tell you what any UNC or Duke players even look like and their names except Tre Jones.

This. I used to follow these teams so closely and am so out of it now. It's not justbecause I'm getting older, right? This is a decidedly worse product, right??

I play ACC fantasy basketball and it's so much less fun than it used to be. No clue or care whom I'm picking. That's also because I'm not dying to draft any Wake players.

I also used to try to attend the ACC Tourney whenever it was in Greensboro, and I have not thought twice about it this year.

Will the sport ever revert back to something better?

If the ACC contracts back to the 8 charter schools and the full round robin schedule returns... but football is king now.

Not going to happen. :(

This. I used to follow these teams so closely and am so out of it now. It's not justbecause I'm getting older, right? This is a decidedly worse product, right??

I play ACC fantasy basketball and it's so much less fun than it used to be. No clue or care whom I'm picking. That's also because I'm not dying to draft any Wake players.

I also used to try to attend the ACC Tourney whenever it was in Greensboro, and I have not thought twice about it this year.

Will the sport ever revert back to something better?

College game is now mostly dunks or layups and threes. Midrange game is almost gone.

I don't know what a foul is anymore. I thought dribbling in the Heisman pose was an offensive foul.

In a couple of years, college basketball will dramatically change with the new NBA CBA that will create a path from HS to the NBA. Most of the Top 25 players will go to the league or G-League. Recruiting will become much more difficult for the blues. There will be lots of "misses" on player evaluations. Players will stay longer in college.

I think there will be a lot more fundamentally sound teams.

Jay Wright was named Coach of the Decade. When they end one and done, I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes Coach of the Decade again. He's been an expert on see potential in the players rated out of the Top 20.

If the ACC contracts back to the 8 charter schools and the full round robin schedule returns... but football is king now.

Not going to happen. :(

Both South Carolina and Maryland are settled in elsewhere.

College game is now mostly dunks or layups and threes. Midrange game is almost gone.

I don't know what a foul is anymore. I thought dribbling in the Heisman pose was an offensive foul.

The pro game is mostly dunks, layups, and threes and it’s far more interesting.

NCAAT will always be fun, but regular season college basketball is terrible to watch for all the reasons already listed

the skills gap between the NBA and college basketball feels a lot bigger than the NFL and NCAAF

And it’s only going to get bigger once the one year rule is gone.

Agree with the above. For me, the officiating has basically ruined the college game. It's become all about the officials and whistle after whistle. It's made the game so disjointed that it's really hard to follow.

I might watch some of the NCAA tournament but even that's limited. I've never understood why college hasn't adopted NBA rules. It would certainly help the flow of the game.

As evidence of that point, our horrible coach says one of his top priorities is to get to the FT line.

The pro game is mostly dunks, layups, and threes and it’s far more interesting.

To me it comes down to what you find interesting. I personally prefer the unknown. The product seems sketchy this season, but who will be in the title game is a mystery at this point. The NBA is going to have teams play over 100 games to find Milwaukee playing the winner of the two LA teams. No other team really has a chance to win it.
For all the superstars Calipari gets, he has only been the champion one time. The outcome always is a bit unknown as far as the last 4 teams standing.

To me it comes down to what you find interesting. I personally prefer the unknown. The product seems sketchy this season, but who will be in the title game is a mystery at this point. The NBA is going to have teams play over 100 games to find Milwaukee playing the winner of the two LA teams. No other team really has a chance to win it.
For all the superstars Calipari gets, he has only been the champion one time. The outcome always is a bit unknown as far as the last 4 teams standing.

That’s why the NCAAT is still great, but regular season college bball is boring as shit

Back