• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PLEASE CURRIE!!!!

I think they do. Attendance and all message boards send the message loud and clear.

I talked to a friend of mine in the AD that went to wake same years I did and they definitely bought into Wellman's narrative. Now I wouldn't doubt that the ad employees believed the emporer tapped the phones. The line I was fed was, well we really can't compete until our facilities are upgraded and finally this year (March 2019) we have ok facilities to compete. I responded, we have had better facilities than Houston Baptist ect so what's the excuse for losing to them? He said we shouldn't but they would address the bad defense the next year and improve. I have a feeling any sign of improvement will be cause for keeping Danny around. I've never ever rooted against wake before I'm any sport even during the redacted years, but this year since the loss at Charlotte I've been rooting for us to lose out, sad as I am to say. The better statistical defense this year does really worry me a lot.

One final thought.... Unlike Wellman with whom I had multiple interactions while at wake (all of which left me feeling like he was pompous and egocentric) don't know much about Currie so I can't really throw in my two cents on him much. I will say my friends in the AD say he is really into getting personal with the fan and reaching out to as many as he can which is a huge departure from Wellman's Ivory tower. I am beyond sure he knows he will have even less than the historical low fan support we've had this year if he keeps Manning next year but I'm afraid, as other posters have mentioned time and time again, that there may be obstacles in the way of firing Manning next year. If we lose out I don't see how he could justify keeping him but one or two more games might keep him around

I'm pretty sure we could have just saved all of the money that went into the new facilities for b-ball and still finished last in the ACC.

While Wake has improved some from last season's "defense" they are still bad in numerous statistics. They're pretty similar to the 2017-2018 Deacs with essentially the same PPG allowed & continue to cause very few turnovers but they do rebound pretty well. WF is allowing opponents to make 52.3% of all 2 point shots and it's effective field goal percentage allowed on defense (49.6%) is likewise poor at 218th in the nation. Admittedly, a reason for these higher percentages is that WF turns it over at a high rate on offense, which leads to easy buckets for opponents. Without being able to remove turnover pts/shooting percentage, it's impossible to get a percentage on WF's base defense but I'd imagine it is still not great.

WF has a long way to go to ever be able to say they hang their hat on defense with a straight face. If you go by KenPom rankings, WF has the second worst ACC defense at #151 in the nation. Miami is Houston Baptist level bad in terms of defense at like #258 or something ridiculous.

WF does lead the league defensively in one category - lowest opponent free throw percentage.

Last edited:
At this point, Currie's only job that he needs to worry about is courting rich alums to pony up for the buyout. I think we've seen that WFU is not going to have the balls or resources to do it, so it needs to come from rich dudes who love basketball and want to influence an ACC hoops team. And Fuck ron wellman and his incompetent ass.

Can you imagine the size of the pill you'd have to swallow to fork over six or seven figures just to pay this guy to go away? Even with all the fuck-you money in the world, I don't think I could stomach it.

Can you imagine the size of the pill you'd have to swallow to fork over six or seven figures just to pay this guy to go away? Even with all the fuck-you money in the world, I don't think I could stomach it.

Honestly it is bullshit that Currie would even ask donors for it. Again, the school just got ONE BILLION DOLLARS of completely free money. And they won't use any of it to fix their biggest image problem? Any discussion of "there is no money for the buyout" is complete and utter horseshit. Anybody who uses money as an excuse or believes it as a valid excuse under the circumstances is a fucking idiot.

This isn't the 90's. College basketball in general is so down from its peak popularity that having a shitty basketball team doesn't really impact a school's image. It matters to us diehard fans, but to the general public it doesn't mean shit.

This isn't the 90's. College basketball in general is so down from its peak popularity that having a shitty basketball team doesn't really impact a school's image. It matters to us diehard fans, but to the general public it doesn't mean shit.

Being on national or even regional TV, does help colleges. It gives free pulbicity.

Truth. I realized this morning that UNC/NCSU played last night! Twenty years ago, I would have never missed watching this game. Now? Didn't even know it was played.

Truth. I realized this morning that UNC/NCSU played last night! Twenty years ago, I would have never missed watching this game. Now? Didn't even know it was played.

yea, I even had a bet on it and chose to watch a netflix show called "magicians" instead.

I very seriously doubt Currie reads these boards or any boards or the comments on his social media posts. I'm sure most or all of "his" social media posts, correspondence, letters in the Gold Rush, etc. are made by functionaries in the AD who have no connection to WF other than an employer-employee relationship. The one benefit of having an alumnus as AD is that you'd hope we could appeal to his school spirit in pleading to make things better.

I talked to a friend of mine in the AD that went to wake same years I did and they definitely bought into Wellman's narrative. Now I wouldn't doubt that the ad employees believed the emporer tapped the phones. The line I was fed was, well we really can't compete until our facilities are upgraded and finally this year (March 2019) we have ok facilities to compete. I responded, we have had better facilities than Houston Baptist ect so what's the excuse for losing to them? He said we shouldn't but they would address the bad defense the next year and improve. I have a feeling any sign of improvement will be cause for keeping Danny around. I've never ever rooted against wake before I'm any sport even during the redacted years, but this year since the loss at Charlotte I've been rooting for us to lose out, sad as I am to say. The better statistical defense this year does really worry me a lot.

One final thought.... Unlike Wellman with whom I had multiple interactions while at wake (all of which left me feeling like he was pompous and egocentric) don't know much about Currie so I can't really throw in my two cents on him much. I will say my friends in the AD say he is really into getting personal with the fan and reaching out to as many as he can which is a huge departure from Wellman's Ivory tower. I am beyond sure he knows he will have even less than the historical low fan support we've had this year if he keeps Manning next year but I'm afraid, as other posters have mentioned time and time again, that there may be obstacles in the way of firing Manning next year. If we lose out I don't see how he could justify keeping him but one or two more games might keep him around

This makes me want to throw up.

Same here. And I have a kid at State.

Honestly it is bullshit that Currie would even ask donors for it. Again, the school just got ONE BILLION DOLLARS of completely free money. And they won't use any of it to fix their biggest image problem? Any discussion of "there is no money for the buyout" is complete and utter horseshit. Anybody who uses money as an excuse or believes it as a valid excuse under the circumstances is a fucking idiot.

Yup. Even if the money is just "loaned" to the AD and repaid with a small return. For that matter, offer CP3 an 8% annual return...he knows Wake isn't going to default on a loan to him, buyout Manning and use the new proceeds to pay the loan back.

Yup. Even if the money is just "loaned" to the AD and repaid with a small return. For that matter, offer CP3 an 8% annual return...he knows Wake isn't going to default on a loan to him, buyout Manning and use the new proceeds to pay the loan back.

I've been told by more than one "insider" that $$$ isn't the big impediment here. It's some guy named Nathan Orr Hatch. Take it FWIW which is probably not much.

Back