• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PLEASE CURRIE!!!!

To reach $12-15M, not only would Danny's salary have to be guaranteed, but EVERY incentive in his contract would have to be guaranteed. This includes several he has NEVER come close reaching.

Think about the logic for a minute. If you guarantee incentives that may or may not be reached (and have NEVER been reached), why not just make that the salary?

Given the fact we know there are incentives, it is not realistic to think they are guaranteed.

To reach $12-15M, not only would Danny's salary have to be guaranteed, but EVERY incentive in his contract would have to be guaranteed. This includes several he has NEVER come close reaching.

Think about the logic for a minute. If you guarantee incentives that may or may not be reached (and have NEVER been reached), why not just make that the salary?

Given the fact we know there are incentives, it is not realistic to think they are guaranteed.

Do we know this? Not doubting you, just don't recall seeing anything about what the incentives are in Manning's contract.

His pay is not reported at $3M/year. If I'm not mistaken, it's allegedly $2.3M. To get to the alleged buyout figures, there has to be incentives.

Sutton has his name on facilities for sports at Wake. He is on of the people who would have to assist Currie getting the Re$ource$ to remove Manning.

If the reports are correct, Currie will need significant re$ource$ to change basketball coaches.

He is going to need an even bigger resource to get the fanbase back.

As I was listening to this past Tuesday’s episode of Pardon My Take one of the hosts’ “hot seat” was UNC Basketball. I immediately started smiling as they trashed Roy and the team, then one of the hosts said “they’re dead last right? Even behind Wake Forest!?” at which point they all busted their guts laughing in unison. My smile faded so damn fast. Fuck.

While that's painful in the moment, try to look at it as, "the more national embarrassment, the better." That will be more likely to prompt change. What our administration is hoping for, and this makes me resent them greatly, is apathy from among our fanbase and the media. They don't want people to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

I'm hoping Currie is cut from different cloth and won't abide for long an embarrassment on his watch. Even if it's to assuage your own ego, Currie, get this done.

Do we know this? Not doubting you, just don't recall seeing anything about what the incentives are in Manning's contract.

It's RJ. He has zero sources, makes up "facts" he knows to be true, and he doesn't understand the difference between reported salary from taxes multiple years ago and extension salary going forward. Just ignore his posts on the matter.

Last edited:
By waiting a year, the buyout this spring will probably come down to be in the $12-15 mil range (source is a trustee).

So it would have been $15-18 last year. That $3 million difference would have EASILY been covered by ticket/parking/concessions behind a new coach. We'd actually be financially ahead at this point assuming we hired a coach for around the same $3 million range or less. The fact that our trustees can't math or understand the basics of business doesn't change the reality of the situation. Manning's salary is a sunk cost as this point. Write it off and move on. There's money to be made, not lost, by canning him ASAP.

Neither of us know for sure, but I heard first hand from a trustee that the buyout is not $18mil, but it is very large. A $2.3 mil base that you cite times 5 years is $11.5 mil; times 6 is $13.8 mil (which is consistent with my $12-15 Mil). It is a huge financial nut for our athletic department. That is the point.

So it would have been $15-18 last year. That $3 million difference would have EASILY been covered by ticket/parking/concessions behind a new coach. We'd actually be financially ahead at this point assuming we hired a coach for around the same $3 million range or less. The fact that our trustees can't math or understand the basics of business doesn't change the reality of the situation. Manning's salary is a sunk cost as this point. Write it off and move on. There's money to be made, not lost, by canning him ASAP.

There may be a cash flow issue. Buyout due upon firing. Added revenue is a projection over five years.

I get the feeling Sutton is a Ryan Odom guy. UMBC sucks now, so hopefully Odom is not one of the candidates.

Neither of us know for sure, but I heard first hand from a trustee that the buyout is not $18mil, but it is very large. A $2.3 mil base that you cite times 5 years is $11.5 mil; times 6 is $13.8 mil (which is consistent with my $12-15 Mil). It is a huge financial nut for our athletic department. That is the point.

TITCR

There may be a cash flow issue. Buyout due upon firing. Added revenue is a projection over five years.

Do we know the buyout is due upon firing? And even if it is, our AD can surely get a loan from somewhere.

No way that is all payable in one lump sum. Even if it were, certainly some of those graduates from the Wake Law School should be able to drag that out a while.

Do we know the buyout is due upon firing? And even if it is, our AD can surely get a loan from somewhere.

And a loan would cost us even more than the buyout.

Buyout due at firing. Wow. That’s one way to make a horrible contract that much worse.

You’d think everyone associated with that contract would be fired by now. They’re more at fault than Manning and I would assume they’re easier to fire.

You think our AD is empowered to go get a loan on his own without the school's CFO and treasurer involved? Highly unlikely as is the prospect of getting a loan to buy out a shitty coach. In lending there is this little thing called collateral and there isn't any here. It would be nice if Ronnie and Nathan allowed a lien to be put on their pension payments as compensation for the loss their collective and complete incompetence has caused. Now that would be some collateral.

You think our AD is empowered to go get a loan on his own without the school's CFO and treasurer involved? Highly unlikely as is the prospect of getting a loan to buy out a shitty coach. In lending there is this little thing called collateral and there isn't any here. It would be nice if Ronnie and Nathan allowed a lien to be put on their pension payments as compensation for the loss their collective and complete incompetence has caused. Now that would be some collateral.
I don't ever remember implying anything about the CFO or treasurer. And, yes, I'm a grown ass adult who has owned homes, cars and businesses, so I know how loans work.

Back