• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

At what point does Manning do the right thing?

No way. CEOs have massive pressure for results from the board and stockholders. No way if Manning were a CEO would he retain the job for 7 years with year over year stock price slide.

I think Manning views this job like many NBA players do, as just another job. There's really no loyalty or deep desire. Of course he wants to win but he's not going to really scrap because the checks are rolling in fully guaranteed. Hiring a former NBA player as a college head coach has 99 percent of the time been a recipe for disaster.

that's why when they get fired with parachutes most of them get hired again as CEOs elsewhere

If Manning were concerned about public opinion and his perceived competence, he would have left after Year 2.

I have always wondered how much manning turned down in whatever buyout negotiations transpired last year. If that amount was large and leaked , it would surely solidify public sentiment against him even more

not sure why i waste energy even thinking about this stuff. however, some thoughts that are completely random

1 - i feel some sort of gratification knowing manning will never coach P5 ever again. hell he may never coach d1 again. his entire legacy is now tainted. i guess with millions he doesn't care. where would he coach though? why would someone like western carolina hire him over prosser? might get hired at emory or randolph-macon. the guarantee made it so he has to "coach" and show he is completely inept. that's also why he won't leave. this is his last big time coaching gig. ride it out.
2 - this dude got a guaranteed extension based on his flagship/breakout season where he lost 14 games. 14 fucking losses. the man has never lost less than 13 games in a season. he was fucking 38-29 at TULSA. at FUCKING TULSA!!! the fucker is 111-130 in his "coaching" career.
3 - i don't give two shits what ron wellman did in his career. he could have delivered whatever on men's soccer or women's field hockey, blah blah blah. who gives a shit. his decision to hire redacted, then to hire manning and double down on him may be the dumbest string of decisions in the history of athletics. we mock the NY Giants, Cleveland Browns, etc. yet here is wellman making program destroying decisions to the flagship product of wake forest and no one in the industry is mocking him for it (other than wake fans).

now i've wasted even more minutes of thought on this shit show

I think the biggest “pressure” on Manning would be bad/embarrassing media coverage like asking questions as to why he is still coaching at Wake with his record. Also student demonstrations would be embarrassing to him and his family. I don’t think either will happen. If he doesn’t resign at the end of this season the only way he’s going out is with termination.

Well the media pretty much asks that every day of basketball season

Do they though? National media couldn't care less about Wake Forest. Even articles about ACC hot seats seem to include Manning out of a technical obligation. Local media don't want to bite the hand that feeds and won't push the envelope. See also: Disco Dan's tone before and after he left his beat.

In his mind he is doing the right thing.

Exactly. He is doing the right thing for him and his family. Also, Manning probably thinks he is doing the right thing by his players by not quitting. Guy is not walking away from 15 million without being pushed out the door. He won't sniff another head coaching job in a competitive basketball conference. Needs to build that generational wealth from grandkids.

I do have a good source saying that Wellman was let go. I do think the plan was to let Wellman "make" the decision to retain Manning because of the huge buy out and to keep Currie out of this mess. It would then make sense that Currie has the option to get rid of Manning after the season. Seems to make sense and if Manning is not fired after this year Currie will be getting a revolt much like his Tennessee experience. For those reasons I think he is definitely gone.

I am not sure Manning is bright enough to know what the right thing to do is. he dumb. and Dumb people make dumb decisions.

I do have a good source saying that Wellman was let go. I do think the plan was to let Wellman "make" the decision to retain Manning because of the huge buy out and to keep Currie out of this mess. It would then make sense that Currie has the option to get rid of Manning after the season. Seems to make sense and if Manning is not fired after this year Currie will be getting a revolt much like his Tennessee experience. For those reasons I think he is definitely gone.

This all makes a lot of sense, and I’ve been thinking this was part of the equation all along. Right or wrong, it is what it is. Wellman made the terrible decision to keep him with the buyout just as he was “retiring”. That way he’s the target at the firing line taking the blame since it was his decision, and leaves Currie out of it and Currie comes in and has a year to come up with the best plan going forward, put an early stamp on his legacy as AD at Wake, and receive the accolades for making a historical hire for Wake’s next basketball coach. New regime all together. Basically puts Wellman in a bad spotlight as he walks out the door, and removes the Day 1 pressure for Currie having to rush into a decision after most of the possible coaches has already been picked over.

Remember, Currie and Shaka are somewhat close from their days at Texas together. I still think there is a strong possibility that Shaka could end up in Winston after all. Sure hope so!

Oh, we remember.... SHAKA SHAKA SHAKA!

Texas probably needs to cut ties with Shaka to make him a viable candidate at Wake. It would be financially difficult for Wake to pay off Manning and buy Shaka from TX.

Manning will be gone at the end of the year. Based on what Mit Shah said at the dedication of the basketball facility I think it's a done deal. I think something the pH said about the contract not even starting and others saying that the buyout would be bad but significantly reduced after this year might have some legitimacy. It's probable that you would be subject to the full amount of the contract for termination before it began. Now that we are a year in the buyout in the contract kicks in. Could have been why they negotiated a week before retaining him trying to extend the buyout terms to before the contract even started?

Hadn’t thought of this until you said it, but normally Mit Shah is court-side at... a lot of the games. I’d say probably the majority. I haven’t seen him court-side all season. Think he’s upset?

I think that’s definitely interesting.

Hadn’t thought of this until you said it, but normally Mit Shah is court-side at... a lot of the games. I’d say probably the majority. I haven’t seen him court-side all season. Think he’s upset?

I think that’s definitely interesting.

Sure he's pissed- Manning pissing everything away.

Stroke the check NOW, Mit! :thumbsup:

Sure he's pissed- Manning pissing everything away.

Stroke the check NOW, Mit! :thumbsup:

I was going to say the same thing after that comment above. He is always there sitting near the bench courtside. But it's been a long time since I've seen him sitting there. Hopefully he's making a statement and change is coming soon Deacon fans!

Student demonstrations? Other than the 10-20 that show up to games what student demonstrations have their been?

Back