• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

At what point does Manning do the right thing?

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
So it's pretty clear that Danny Manning is just a horrible college basketball coach. And at this point he has to know that, right? So what are the chances that he gets embarrassed enough - or at least shows enough self awareness - to negotiate some sort of exit? Maybe not during the middle of this season - but surely after yet another pathetic season. Sure, it sounds like he is owed a lot of money through several more season, thanks to Ron "Malpractice" Wellman; but why would he want to sully his reputation with another two or three 20 loss seasons - which is pretty much inevitable. It used to be "hey, there is Danny Manning - one of the greatest college players of all time." Now, it has become, "hey, there is Danny Manning - perhaps the worst coach in the history of ACC basketball." Again, at some point he has to look into the mirror and say "man, I am just a terrible college head coach." Hopefully then he is good with taking some extra money to ride into the sunset or go into the NBA as an asst coach. I just can't see how someone could be so selfish to continue to screw over his players, his university, and his "fanbase".

So it's pretty clear that Danny Manning is just a horrible college basketball coach. And at this point he has to know that, right? So what are the chances that he gets embarrassed enough - or at least shows enough self awareness - to negotiate some sort of exit? Maybe not during the middle of this season - but surely after yet another pathetic season. Sure, it sounds like he is owed a lot of money through several more season, thanks to Ron "Malpractice" Wellman; but why would he want to sully his reputation with another two or three 20 loss seasons - which is pretty much inevitable. It used to be "hey, there is Danny Manning - one of the greatest college players of all time." Now, it has become, "hey, there is Danny Manning - perhaps the worst coach in the history of ACC basketball." Again, at some point he has to look into the mirror and say "man, I am just a terrible college head coach." Hopefully then he is good with taking some extra money to ride into the sunset or go into the NBA as an asst coach. I just can't see how someone could be so selfish to continue to screw over his players, his university, and his "fanbase".

It’s not his university or fan base.

Manning has done the wrong things for years and been rewarded for it. Why change now?

He’s not going anywhere. His genius recruiting pitch is he can’t be fired because of his contract.

Manning has done the wrong things for years and been rewarded for it. Why change now?

The person that rewarded him is gone. The new boss needed to get several months under his belt to see first hand what the basketball program at his alma mater had become. I’m convinced he will make a move as soon as it can conceivably happen. He wants to turn things around. Why else did he take the job. It’s a statement decision and it should be coming soon.

Why on earth would you voluntarily give up millions?

Because your already have millions and don't enjoy consistently making a fool of yourself in public? Because you don't like to show yourself to be a failure for the world to see? Unless he just doesn't realize that he is a terrible coach, I can't imagine it is that enjoyable to know that you are going to suck at your job in a public manner for the next how ever many years. I'm sure he could fleece WF for several millions in an early buyout agreement, and then go and and make decent coin as an NBA asst, if he wants to keep coaching. It seems that would be more appealing than to embarrass yourself for 2 to 3 more years at Wake and almost assuredly go down as the worst coach in ACC history, based on the fact that you stuck around and lost for so many seasons.

The person that rewarded him is gone. The new boss needed to get several months under his belt to see first hand what the basketball program at his alma mater had become. I’m convinced he will make a move as soon as it can conceivably happen. He wants to turn things around. Why else did he take the job. It’s a statement decision and it should be coming soon.

I agree. I’ve become a pessimist but I just think Currie knows that this job he wants to hang onto for life is contingent upon having a strong basketball program. And that there is no one in the media or who generally knows basketball who can competently defend the notion that Danny Manning will ever create such a program. Currie will cash in some donor chips, maybe sooner than he had hoped, and get this done.

He’s already an embarrassment, failure, fool and worst coach in acc history. Might as well get more millions. :tear:

He gone.

Currie was a student at Wake during the good times of the hoops flagship program and will do the right thing! :thumbsup:

He gone.

Currie was a student at Wake during the good times of the hoops flagship program and will do the right thing! :thumbsup:

Forget it. Ron Wellman gave Manning a long-term contract that the university cannot afford to buy out. Most stupid contractual move by an Athletic Director in history. The university should seek recoupment from Wellman, but neither Hatch nor the BOT have the backbone.

Nope. He gone.

The University cannot afford NOT to buy him out. 4k attendance at ACC home games?!

THE TIME IS NOW!

Manning gains nothing by resigning now. Another 20 loss season isn't going be the difference in him saving or hurting his coaching reputation; no one planning to hire him is going to change their mind because he had 3 instead of 4 20-loss seasons. And let's pretend he still some competitive fire; he might legitimately believe he can still turn this around. He clearly doesn't have the ability to that, but a lack of ability doesn't stop a lot of people from believing in themselves.

Plus some people assume he is miserable. I don't get the feeling he is. [Redacted] seemed to be completely miserable by the end of it, but Manning doesn't seem like he cares at all.

I will not pay my hard earned money for this garbage WFU is putting on the court. Will not even take free tickets because i would still have to pay for parking.

Manning must go.

Manning could care less about WF and pretty sure he blames everything and everyone but himself for his failures and still thinks he is a great head coach. I'm sure the man goes home early, looks at his bank account and then hangs with the family watching reruns of the Jayhawks tourney run of Danny and the miracles and goes to sleep at night with sweet dreams. He could care less all the other coaches know he is in way over his head and hoping WF keeps him on indefinitely so they can continue to put a W next to WF on their schedules every year with permanent marker.

There's absolutely zero indication that Manning is anything close to embarrassed or in any way feels like a fool. He's either a) delusional enough to think what he's doing is perceived in a positive light (and given the nodding bobbleheads that seem to populate the influential community of WFU, it's not unreasonable for him to think that), or b) he's arrogant to the point where he's able to perform enough mental gymnastics to transform explicit criticism into inferred praise.

Either way, he's not going anywhere voluntarily.

If Manning were concerned about public opinion and his perceived competence, he would have left after Year 2.

Back