• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who is worse: Jeff B or Manning?

Who is the worse WF coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm going with Manning. It pains me to say this, because I can't stand the man, but I think [name redacted] was a better coach than Manning. He was initially more hamstrung by Wellman's experimental attempt to engineer his perfect little basketball utopia. Manning seems to have had way more leeway in how he ran his program, and he has still failed miserably. The culture bullshit is gone, he's been able to recruit more freely, he's had better investment into the program, etc.

Last edited:
i mean, Bzz has a record of actual success as a coach in specific situations.

[Redacted] is worse- he took a team that was a pretty consistent tourney team over the last 25 years and had a good freshmen recruiting class handed to him and he immediately turned it into an absolute shit show. Manning took over a shit show and consistently maintained it at a shit show level. I do think both go down as top 5 all time worst coaches in ACC history with Bob Wade as the number 1.

For the record, I voted for Bz because he killed Wake basketball for me. Kinda numb to it now.

Danny Manning by a landslide. [Redacted] beat NC State, Duke & Carolina in the same year. No way this ass clown can do that. Best thing he did was have a great agent draw up his contracts with our prior AD

Assassin worse than graveyard watchman / failed resurrectionist.

Let's ask the experts!

Carmelo Anthony (this is my favorite quote):
Coach [Redacted] was my first coach in the NBA. We learned a lot with each other. That first year, we made it to the playoffs after only winning 17 games the year before. He did a good job here and I enjoyed playing for him.

Pat Riley:
Jeff was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man.

Rick Barnes:
Wake Forest has definitely hit a grand slam with Jeff [Redacted]. I've known Jeff since we worked on the same staff at Davidson College back in the late 1970s, and I've always respected how hard he has worked at every step in his coaching career. People around the ACC will find out very quickly that Jeff is an outstanding basketball coach.

Looks like the experts agree that Manning is worse!

For the record, I voted for Bz because he killed Wake basketball for me. Kinda numb to it now.

Exactly, and anyone who votes for Danny is doing so out of recency bias. Danny sucks, but redacted is the worst coach I've ever seen in any sport. The man couldn't even handle a press conference. Add to that, Danny is a better recruiter, his teams were a little better offensively, and he actually had 1 tourney appearance. They both suck about as badly on the defensive end.

Exactly, and anyone who votes for Danny is doing so out of recency bias. Danny sucks, but redacted is the worst coach I've ever seen in any sport. The man couldn't even handle a press conference. Add to that, Danny is a better recruiter, his teams were a little better offensively, and he actually had 1 tourney appearance. They both suck about as badly on the defensive end.

The last two plus years Manning is 9-28 in the ACC. [name redacted] was 12-24 his last two years.

Manning did parlay an NBA star into a 9-9 ACC record one year, but went 2-16 with that same all-star during his 1st year. So 11-25 with a college superstar.

Manning certainly belongs in this conversation.

Which is worse? Stepping on a dog turd or a cat turd? That's what this thread feels like.

One of these coaches has lost to Clemson basketball every time he has played them for 6 years,the same Clemson basketball that was 0-59 at Chapel Hill until last week.

One of these coaches has lost to Clemson basketball every time he has played them for 6 years,the same Clemson basketball that was 0-59 at Chapel Hill until last week.

To be fair, Carolina sucks ass this year, though.

Manning did some good things early and then it all went to hell after Collins left.

What "good" did Manning do early? He went 24-39 (7-29) in his first two seasons. He had one decent season, but otherwise has been consistently awful.

At least [Redacted]'s teams improved each year he was here. They didn't improve to a level that we should be satisfied with, obviously, but each year was better than the year before. Here we are in Year 6 of Manning, and his team looks just as bad as they did in Year 1 and 2.

Manning's recruiting is better, but it's somewhat overshadowed by the excitement he brought with his first real class (2015). Excluding their first classes, [Redacted]'s classes have averaged 60th, with an average 247 rating of .8824, while Manning's classes have averaged 45th, with an average 247 rating of .8932. So yes, Manning has been a better recruiter, but i) it's been only marginally better, and ii) those haven't translated to results on the court (i.e. who cares if we get Hoard if we still only win 11 games).

Manning also hasn't been able to keep players at Wake - at an even worse clip than [Redacted].

I get [Redacted] was awful at press conferences (like Manning is any good?), but results on the court should be much more important than how personable someone is.

[Redacted] is worse- he took a team that was a pretty consistent tourney team over the last 25 years and had a good freshmen recruiting class handed to him and he immediately turned it into an absolute shit show. Manning took over a shit show and consistently maintained it at a shit show level. I do think both go down as top 5 all time worst coaches in ACC history with Bob Wade as the number 1.

I'd argue that Manning's year-six team is patently worse than Redacted's year-four team. So Manning took a shit show and turned it into an explosive diarrhea show.

I love the analogies for this debate, btw. It's like arguing over whether it's worse to be mauled by a bear or dropped into a vat of acid.

it's beyond doubt and a matter of historical fact that combined, those two are the worst in the history of the ACC

Modern ACC* worst 10-year ACC win percentages:

1. WF 2010-11 through 2019-20, 42-122, 0.256
2. BC 2010-11 through 2019-20, 45-119, 0.274
3. BC 2009-10 through 2018-19, 48-126, 0.276
4. WF 2009-10 through 2018-19, 50-124, 0.2874 (includes a 9-7 year from Dino)
5. NCS 1991-92 through 2000-01, 46-114, 0.2875
6. BC 2007-08 through 2016-17, 49-121, 0.288

really gets me amped up for this Sunday's huge game vs. BC!

*I define modern ACC as post-desegregation, 1965-66

it's beyond doubt and a matter of historical fact that combined, those two are the worst in the history of the ACC

Modern ACC* worst 10-year ACC win percentages:

1. WF 2010-11 through 2019-20, 42-122, 0.256
2. BC 2010-11 through 2019-20, 45-119, 0.274
3. BC 2009-10 through 2018-19, 48-126, 0.276
4. WF 2009-10 through 2018-19, 50-124, 0.2874 (includes a 9-7 year from Dino)
5. NCS 1991-92 through 2000-01, 46-114, 0.2875
6. BC 2007-08 through 2016-17, 49-121, 0.288

really gets me amped up for this Sunday's huge game vs. BC!

*I define modern ACC as post-desegregation, 1965-66

It's still hard to believe that 2009-10 team fell apart over the last 3 weeks of the season after being ranked #23. A bad call against Chas at VT started that snowball heading downhill.

Back