• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who is worse: Jeff B or Manning?

Who is the worse WF coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Neither of them are/were as bad at their jobs as Ron Wellman was at his.

Amazing that Manning has been given six years. Six! With just a hint of success 3, followed by 2 awful years.

2010–11 Jeff [Redacted] 8–24 1–15 12th
2011–12 Jeff [Redacted] 13–18 4–12 T-12th
2012–13 Jeff [Redacted] 13–18 6–12 T-9th
2013–14 Jeff [Redacted] 17–16 6–12 T-11th
2014–15 Danny Manning 13–19 5–13 12th
2015–16 Danny Manning 11–20 2–16 14th
2016–17 Danny Manning 19–14 9–9 10th NCAA First Four
2017–18 Danny Manning 11–20 4–14 14th
2018–19 Danny Manning 11–20 4–14 13th

Nine years with a peak of finishing T-9th in our own conference and an average finish of 12th. An average finish of 12th. Average. Finish. of. 12th. Over a decade, basically. By the time we finish this season it will have been a full decade and the average finish will most likely have gotten worse. I remember when we finished in the top 3 multiple years in a row. God, that makes me feel old... We really have passed the point where it became ridiculous!

BTW, I voted [] as the worst mostly because of his terrible personality. They are both horrible coaches with [] getting the slight edge in actual game coaching and the Mannequin getting the slight edge in recruiting.

Bz and it's not even close. There is some serious recency bias going on here. Just look at their respective KenPom finishes.

Let's ask the experts!

Carmelo Anthony (this is my favorite quote):

Pat Riley:

Rick Barnes:

Looks like the experts agree that Manning is worse!

Any time I see that Carmelo quote I always hear it in my head as Orlando Jones' voice as the magazine salesman in Office Space.

I think Bz understands the whole game better; but DM is the much better recruiter.

In this hypothetical event, what would be the line on a neutral floor with these Goliath's going head to head with the exact same players? I'd put the line at Redacted -1.5.

I think Manning is much worse. Just look people that know the game hired Buzz after his disaster here. Manning will only get hired at Kansas once we can him. He has done less than what Buzz did with better talent. It blows my mind that Manning has been around basketball his entire life and knows zero about defense.

Bz and it's not even close. There is some serious recency bias going on here. Just look at their respective KenPom finishes.

Depends on how you measure a coach. Overall, I guess you could give the nod to Manning because his name allowed him to attract some better talent. But, if we're talking the ability to turn a given set of players into a team and manage a game (the things I think of when I think of a coach), I'm taking [name redacted] every time. If we're looking at ratings alone to determine the better coach, sure, Manning wins.

In this hypothetical event, what would be the line on a neutral floor with these Goliath's going head to head with the exact same players? I'd put the line at Redacted -1.5.

I'd lay the 1.5 all day long.

Definite recency bias going on and some rose colored glasses regarding bzdeliks X and O wizardry or something.

We lost like every single conference game we played by 20+. He took a tournament program and immediately lost to Stetson in his first game. Instant push off a cliff we’ve never climbed back from.

Manning sucks and he’s hopelessly unqualified but he didn’t dig the hole.

It really sucks that our run of failure has taken place during what’s seemed like a down period for the ACC with several programs in a rut. A competent coach hired a decade ago could have really flourished.

It isn't that [Redacted] was a great bench coach, its that Manning is probably the worst bench coach in ACC history.

It isn't that [name redacted] was a great bench coach, its that Manning is probably the worst bench coach in ACC history.

2015-16 and 17-18 were the worst coaching jobs of the 10 year period. Dumbo Danny had very good talent those 2 years and lost 20 games. That was hard to do. Probably 20 losses from blown leads over the last 7-10 minutes.

Only criteria is that BZ only stayed and wrecked our program for 4 years. DM has been here 6 and continues to wreck our program.

Back