• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who is worse: Jeff B or Manning?

Who is the worse WF coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It certainly wasn't up to snuff with our historic recruiting, but it wasn't that far off what Manning has produced.

His 2012 class was ranked #22 in the nation and included CMM, Devin Thomas and Tyler Cavanaugh. People were also excited about role players Rountree and Moto.

2013 included Greg McClinton, who was awful, but - ranking wise - would have been the best recruit in Manning's 2016, 2019, and 2020 classes.

2011 included Chase Fischer, who didn't do much at Wake but was the 3rd leading scorer of an NCAA tournament team, and then the leading scorer of an NIT-semifinals team.

I hate defending [name redacted], but Manning has been, by no means, a great recruiter.

Of course rankings in the end mean nothing, it's what they do once they get here.

2015 - Wilbiken
Mitigilou (remember him?)

2016 - Moore
Collins
Crawford
Woods (Transfer)

2017 - Childress
and the big miss on his buddy

2018 - Brown
Sarr

2019 - Mucius
Wright
Hoard
Wynn

2020 - Neath
White
Massoud

For bzzz

2014 - McClinton

2013 - CMM
Thomas
Cavanaugh

2012 - Fischer

2011 - I don't think he had a recruit he brought in and except for McKie the other 4 recruits were all gone after their soph season.

To me this highlights that bzz was never going to bring in enough talent, where DM can bring in some talent but can't coach them as a team. We continuously got drilled in the bzz era, so much for any x's and o's, they don't matter if you are not even close.

What I know for sure is that one of them has had their name redacted whereas that honor belongs to both.

[NR] would have coached the team to a win last night at clem's son. So, there's that....

BOTH BLOW.

Of course rankings in the end mean nothing, it's what they do once they get here.

2015 - Wilbiken
Mitigilou (remember him?)

2016 - Moore
Collins
Crawford
Woods (Transfer)

2017 - Childress
and the big miss on his buddy

2018 - Brown
Sarr

2019 - Mucius
Wright
Hoard
Wynn

2020 - Neath
White
Massoud

For bzzz

2014 - McClinton

2013 - CMM
Thomas
Cavanaugh

2012 - Fischer

2011 - I don't think he had a recruit he brought in and except for McKie the other 4 recruits were all gone after their soph season.

To me this highlights that bzz was never going to bring in enough talent, where DM can bring in some talent but can't coach them as a team. We continuously got drilled in the bzz era, so much for any x's and o's, they don't matter if you are not even close.

Is this a failed attempt to list all the players they recruited or are you only listing players you thought were good at Wake? If it's the latter, why did you list my boy Mitch and Wynn and White?

This is a poll where reasonable minds can have completely different opinions, but I think there may be a smidge of recency bias for those picking Danny.

To my mind, Bz took over a team in better shape, had a worse record (which included an unimaginable number of 20+ and 30+ losses), actively hated the fan base (which actively hated him right back), and the sole highlight of his tenure was him playing the invisible piano on a local news station. It also included both he and his AD gaslighting the entire fan base with things like "historical competitiveness" "Tuesdays are our toughtest days" and "Attendance is always low in January"

Danny is incompetent and among the worst 5 P5 coaches in the country. Bz is among the worst P5 coaches ever.

Which is worse??? Having to live through the agony of the last 10 years seeing your beloved Deacon bball team turn to absolute garbage or having to see this ridiculous poll on the website reminding us just how incompetent Ronnie and his buds being guilty of malfeasance in hiring completely mindboggling choices and then allowing the insanity to continue way past a reasonable time with BOTH coaches????

PLEASE KILL this thread now!!!!

Salty, after careful deliberation, I am going with the last 10 years of Deacon bball.
You will be glad to know the poll closes in 50 hours though! Manning made a strong closing argument Tuesday night.

Which is worse??? Having to live through the agony of the last 10 years seeing your beloved Deacon bball team turn to absolute garbage or having to see this ridiculous poll on the website reminding us just how incompetent Ronnie and his buds being guilty of malfeasance in hiring completely mindboggling choices and then allowing the insanity to continue way past a reasonable time with BOTH coaches????

PLEASE KILL this thread now!!!!

One caveat: [Redacted] was a completely mind-boggling hire. Manning was at least arguable at the time. He was a reach, for sure. But we had just come off an absolute dumpster fire and it wasn't like there were a lot of people looking to take over the program. All of which is still Wellman's fault though.

if you give Manning and Buzz equally talented line ups to play a game,. Buzz would kick his ass. And that is not saying much.

One caveat: [Redacted] was a completely mind-boggling hire. Manning was at least arguable at the time. He was a reach, for sure. But we had just come off an absolute dumpster fire and it wasn't like there were a lot of people looking to take over the program. All of which is still Wellman's fault though.

We were in a better position to make a good hire after the Buzz debacle than we will be after the Manning debacle.

I wish somebody would compile all the shitty plays the team has had under both coaches and set it to a looped Yakety Sax track. Upload to YT. It can be like that Baker Street sax part that is looped for 10 hours. Add another 5-10 minutes after every game.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a sadist alive who would have all or even most of the games from this era saved.

We were in a better position to make a good hire after the Buzz debacle than we will be after the Manning debacle.

At the same time, we better positioned to take a risk when BZ was hired. Hiring BZ did not destroy the program. Wake could have hired BZ and fired him after 2 years and it would have been a minor blip that would not have stained Wake's image. Kind of like UNC hiring Doherty and being right back in the top 10 a few years later with Roy.

Hiring Manning destroyed the program. After 4 years of BZ, Wake had to right the ship regardless of cost. I thought Wake should have given Marshall that Brinks truck. 5-6 million a year or whatever it took.
After 6 years of Manning there is nothing left to work with.

Now is a the time to take a risk on a good young coach since their is nothing to build on. No reputation to save. Get a young guy who can build it from the ground up.

The current regime has 0 wins of consequence in 6 years. The 6 year highlight was a lay down in a play in game. No one has done worse.

Is this a failed attempt to list all the players they recruited or are you only listing players you thought were good at Wake? If it's the latter, why did you list my boy Mitch and Wynn and White?

Definitely not listing every recruit, just those that seemed to be able play (we can debate that and Wynn probably shouldn't be on this list).

Stepping back and looking at this. Bzz basically brought in and kept two players that could contribute at some level (CMM and Thomas). DM can't coach his way out of a paper bag, but he seems to have gotten better talent than Bzz.

I will say Jeff had the program trending upward. All things considered maybe he should have gotten another year. Any coach should get 5 years. Jeff had a winning record and beat UNC and Duke in year 4.

I will say Jeff had the program trending upward. All things considered maybe he should have gotten another year. Any coach should get 5 years. Jeff had a winning record and beat UNC and Duke in year 4.

I respectfully disagree. Should have cut him after stetson or year 1 or year 2 and a better coach and a recruiting bump could have been ahead of where he was in Yr 4. To have gone from Dino to crevice was enough to can him after year 1.

I respectfully disagree. Should have cut him after stetson or year 1 or year 2 and a better coach and a recruiting bump could have been ahead of where he was in Yr 4. To have gone from Dino to crevice was enough to can him after year 1.

Johnson's Ass is a parody. Please do not feed.

Back