• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who is worse: Jeff B or Manning?

Who is the worse WF coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Worse coach? Manning. Worse leader of a college program & all it entails? Close but Bzzzz breaks the tie since he was a total dbag.

Bzzzzz couldn't really recruit, had the personality of a slug, and was awful at team management but he at least seemingly understood the concepts of basketball. Manning was able to recruit a little bit better before people saw the results, but otherwise his team management is just as bad and he has no idea about actual game planning/management.

Danny Manning by a nose. Being Ofer vs Clemson basketball puts him over the top in my book.

Neck and neck. They both blow.

Incredible that we've had a decade of suck.

Manning worse. Buzz actually beat UNC and Duke I think. Would really like to spend a weekend with both telling jokes and hitting the bar scene. They are real salesmen.

Impossible to imagine anyone worse than [name redacted] but Manning is worse. We went from bad to complete, incomprehensible, inexplicable, suckitude.

agree with the tag below. ronnie looking at these clowns and saying "this is the right guy" what 12 times? Once for each hire and then every year till his hand was forced.

I was thinking about this earlier and I feel like you have to handicap the fact that Buzz took over a program with some solid tradition and talented players.

Manning inherited a significantly worse situation.

Also, Bz was a total D Bag so that takes it in my opinion.

Bzz seemed to be an ass who couldn't recruit but he at least seemed to implement a plan (beat UNC and Duke; KP 259, 211, 137, 117 in 2011-14). None of those are good enough by a long shot and I doubt he ever would have built a team we'd be happy with but it's a trajectory.

Manning, on the other hand, seems clueless. Initially got better recruits (before it became well-known that he couldn't coach), which lead to some wins by sheer talent (KP 120, 118 in 2015-16). Then John Collins happened (KP 36 in 2017), we lost in the First Four, and Ronny gave him a fat, guaranteed paycheck. Then he couldn't capitalize, the lack of coaching showed, and the talent has subsequently largely dried up (KP 89, 174, 106). One good season on the back of one star player-year and we're stuck with him. I have no confidence that we'll get any better than we are now.

Manning takes my vote as worse.

Recency bias. You all are forgetting how incredibly bad Bz teams were. We would be down at least 20 points in the first half of most games.

Manning took over a worse situation, yet still made the tournament one year. Bz took over a much better situation and immediately torpedoed it.

Both are abysmal, but Bz was worse.

For me, to vote for one gives some slight bit of favor to the other, and neither deserves any iota of favor or benefit of the doubt or credit. They're equally embarrassingly bad. They are thieves who stole a Brinks truck of money from Wake Forest and a decade of memories from its fans. And sometime I will share how I really feel.

We are just a couple months away from the 10-year anniversary of Dino's firing. The Decade of Unwiped Ass is almost complete.

Yeah, I don’t even think it’s close either. We actually had some decent upset under Bzzz. The only thing Manning upsets are stomachs.

If we’re going to go on pure coaching Bz hands down. He is the better basketball coach. If we’re going on big wins (that were meaningless), Bz wins that award too.

If we’re going on everything involved with being a basketball coach, I’d pick Manning. He’s sent some people to pro ball. He’s had an NCAA tournament appearance. He had less when he got here. He’s just not very smart, and not a good coach in terms of play designs, player rotations, scheme, and in game coaching. I think this year has been better because he has a more experienced staff. But those guys only do so much.

Back