• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Virginia declares state of emergency ahead of gun rally

Long article detailing what's been happening in Virginia. The new Democratic majority in the state legislature was elected specifically on a pledge to pass some gun control legislation. The bill that passed the VA Senate would allow local officials to ban guns from public events, require a background check on all private transfers of firearms, and restricts VA residents to buying one handgun a month (the horror!) However, these rather mild changes have been treated like the apocalypse by gun nuts.

As the article states, "The reactions to Northam’s announcement [of a state of emergency] reflect the blend of frustration, paranoia and fear that has been fomenting both online and throughout Virginia in the weeks and months leading up to Monday’s rally...What started in November as a fight between rural Virginia gun owners and newly elected Democratic lawmakers seeking to propose gun control legislation has since been warped and amplified by extremist groups which, for different reasons, have sought to exploit real tensions around Virginia’s gun debate to advance their own agendas. Over the last two months, these groups have wielded unsubstantiated rumors and fake news reports to promote conspiracy theories about a Democratic plot to forcibly confiscate guns. Such theories have successfully fueled outrage and helped amplify rhetoric online." A great example of the negative power of social media, and how effective right-wingers have become to gin up their rural base.

Link: https://news.yahoo.com/virginia-on-edge-as-progun-activists-seethe-over-governors-state-of-emergency-200500771.html

It’s also a microcosm of what many people in VA think of as carpetbaggers in NOVA vs Real Virginia. People like my in laws think those in NOVA shouldn’t count as Virginians.

I remember when I played army as a kid. Sweet Hawaiian shirt.

It’s also a microcosm of what many people in VA think of as carpetbaggers in NOVA vs Real Virginia. People like my in laws think those in NOVA shouldn’t count as Virginians.

Well, that fits perfectly with the national Trumpite narrative, which is that Democrats and urbanites generally don't count as Real Americans. In Virginia they've just created their own local version of it.

Well, that fits perfectly with the national Trumpite narrative, which is that Democrats and urbanites generally don't count as Real Americans. In Virginia they've just created their own local version of it.

the Swamp crept into our state and bringing values that do not mesh with ours

I loved the handmade "I'd rather be an American than a Democrat" sign. The views and mindset of these people bring a word to mind - deplorable, maybe?

For a second there I thought a caravan of brown skinned poor families were going to walk into the frame. That would be terrifying to see on our streets. Fortunately, it’s just heavily armed insecure mediocre white men, and we’re safe behind our border wall.

9cbff66073c9a6f662b57e43d49564b3.jpg

Back