• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should the giant threads be cut to size like the chat thread?

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
I was wondering if one of the reasons some threads load so slowly is because of their size. The chat thread is re-started after 2000 responses. Should the other mega-threads do the same?

Biff, could you look into this please?

RJ, just send us modsseparate PMs and we'll discuss it on thenext conference call. Otherwise, there is no need to start threads just for your complaints/suggestions. But if you can't help yourself, might I suggest that you use the following forum in the future:

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/9-Technical-Support-Forum

Also, thread size is not the problem. Thanks.

Would it help if we limited our more prodigious posters to like 10 posts per day?

You know, that way they could really "high-grade" the content and everything might run more smoothly.

ITT RJ has issues getting things to fully load

or

ITT RJ has size issues

We should all aspire to be as efficient with our words as Milhouse.

I didn't realize until just now that he is terse because he wants the boards to run smoothly for everyone.

What a guy!

Given that the threads are paged and only 1 page worth of content is served up at a time...thread size is not an issue...

UNLESS the server size code is fetching the entire thread first and then filtering it down to just the content for one page and serving that up, which would be a hideout bad design that should have been cleared out around 2006.

I think its just a really old platform and maybe its time the admins had a tall about a switch.

I agree with RJ on this one.

Yeah for sure. The size and length of threads is a pretty bad user experience unless you are constantly checking the boards. I’m sure is a deterrent to new posters. Worse is when big news gets buried into the depths of an old, tangentially related thread that is bumped up rather than just creating a new one. Not sure exactly why most posters have become very reluctant to start new threads (although we certainly have our share of those in the opposite direction). I suspect shaming via tags has something to do with it, though.

Given that the threads are paged and only 1 page worth of content is served up at a time...thread size is not an issue...

UNLESS the server size code is fetching the entire thread first and then filtering it down to just the content for one page and serving that up, which would be a hideout bad design that should have been cleared out around 2006.

I think its just a really old platform and maybe its time the admins had a tall about a switch.

Could it be the host? Vbulletin is old and all, but the page load time stuff could definitely be server side. How big is the database?

Yeah for sure. The size and length of threads is a pretty bad user experience unless you are constantly checking the boards. I’m sure is a deterrent to new posters. Worse is when big news gets buried into the depths of an old, tangentially related thread that is bumped up rather than just creating a new one. Not sure exactly why most posters have become very reluctant to start new threads (although we certainly have our share of those in the opposite direction). I suspect shaming via tags has something to do with it, though.

Agree 100%

Could it be the host? Vbulletin is old and all, but the page load time stuff could definitely be server side. How big is the database?

It's definitely more Vbulletin than the host. DB is also pretty large on the whole because we haven't really started archiving/pruning old threads yet (and are hoping to not have to, but it may be a necessity at some point).

Back