• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Clemson Tigers @ LJVM - 8 pm - Saturday

Pilchard

Reaction score
Deacs play Clemson AGAIN Saturday Night at LJVM.

Clemson hasn't changed much since WF played them 10 days ago in Littlejohn (in addition to beating WF for the SEVENTH STRAIGHT TIME 71-68, they Tigers lost 80-62 @ #10 L'ville, and beat #52 Cuse 71-70 at home).

Here is revised rundown on Clemson:

The season: Clemson is among a large group of "meh" ACC teams as they are 11-9 (5-5). Even so, Clemson finally knocked the monkey off their back with an OT win at Chapel Hill on January 11, ending a 59 game streak of road futility against UNC -- the longest such streak between any two conference teams in NCAA history. Besides that win (which in retrospect, wasn't very impressive since UNC has yet to win in 2020, and none of its other losses were as close as the Clemson/UNC game, including the ordinary Pitt Panthers sweeping two from UNC), Clemson has top 100 wins over #66 TCU in OT, #46 NC State (without CJ Bryce), #51 Cuse and #2 Duke. Clemson is 1-4 on the road with losses to #37 Minnesota, #21 FSU, #56 NC State and #10 L'vlle; their lone road win was the streakbreaker in OT over UNC. Collectively Clemson is 5-8 against top 100 teams (WF is #108).

The series: Perhaps, the best example of how hard and far WF hoop has fallen is Wake Forest's current streak of ineptitude against Clemson. WF first played Clemson in basketball in 1926. Up through 2010 (the last year before [] took over), WF had an all-time record of 98-51 against Clemson; simply stated, WF dominated Clemson in basketball. Over the last 10 seasons of WF Basketball, WF has beaten Clemson once -- 62-57 at the Joel on February 25, 2014 (Tyler Cavanaugh and Devin Thomas led WF with 12 each), and WF has lost 11 times of that span. WF is winless at home against the Tigers since 2014, and Brad Brownell (who is "awright") is 12-1 against WF; including 7-0 against Danny Manning. Last game, WF led for the most of the game, but collapsed late to lose 71-68. Andrien White paced WF with 22 points, while the unheralded Hunter Tyson, had a career night with 21 for Clemson (no other Tiger scored in double figures. Clemson was an abysmal 7-18 at the line.

The lineup: Against WF last time out, Clemson started 6-4 Curran Scott (Charlotte and Tulsa transfer) , 6-4 Clyde Trapp, 6-5 John Newman (former WF recruiting target; has played well recently averaging 12 ppg over the last 4), 6-8 Hunter Tyson, 6-8 Aamir Sims (leading scorer; best 3 point shooter 38%). Off the bench, Clemson rotated in 6-5 Tevin Mack (Texas and Alabama transfer; had 22 in the win over Duke), 6-2 Al-Amir Dawes and 6-3 Chase Hunter (yes, Clemson has both Hunter Tyson and Chase Hunter) Clemson is a poor shooting team in conference play as they hit 32% of their 3 point shots (#10 among ACC teams), and only 62% from the line (#14 in the conference); Clemson has been effective inside shooting 53% on 2s (#2 in the ACC) in conference games. On defense, Clemson has had trouble defending the paint as they are DFL in the ACC in 2 PT FG% (53%). Clemson plays at a slow tempo averaging 67 possessions a game.

The prediction: KP has Clemson winning 70-69. Think WF takes this game. Clemson blows on the road; both teams have played a lot of close games, and WF is by far the superior shooting team. Also, I have a hunch Chaundee returns tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Already regretting spending actually money on tickets for this game.

Hey Pilchard, have you seen Anthony Edwards play yet this year ? He's pretty good, don't ya think ? Do you think he'll go pro ? Thanks !

These are great reports.
Thanks Pilch.

The Deacs strive to run their ACC winning streak to a modest two as they head down to Tigertown tomorrow night. Here is rundown on Clemson:

The prediction: KP has Clemson winning 71-65. Clemson beat State (81-70) and Duke (79-72) in its last two home games; hard to see how a banged WF team, minus Chaundee, is going win on the road against the Tigers who appear to be improving. Also, recently, Danny Manning's teams have played even worse than usual after a rare conference win. WF is currently riding a 9 game losing streak after an ACC win. That includes the following beatdowns over last season and this: FSU by 10 @ WF; Cuse by 25 @ WF, State by 20 at State, FSU by 22 at FSU, VT by 16 at VT. So, expect WF to head into Littlejohn full of itself after beating BC and WF to head out of Clemson with another comfortable loss.

I don't think it will be nearly that close.

Tevin Mack is still playing college basketball? Remember when he was a recruiting target like 7 years ago.

Clemson has tough kids who play good defense— this was going to be a bad loss even with Chaundee. We may not get 50.

It's no secret that Wake Forest basketball stinks on the road. Most ACC teams do. We lose by double digits, my prediction is 17 and that would be an improvement.

Clemson is NIT bound. Deacs are sub-500 bound unless we can steal games like these.

The line I see is Clemson -8.

Assuming no Chaundee, it's going to be tough for me to not put a little something on the Tigers.

It's no secret that Wake Forest basketball stinks on the road. Most ACC teams do. We lose by double digits, my prediction is 17 and that would be an improvement.

Clemson is NIT bound. Deacs are sub-500 bound unless we can steal games like these.

I thought I saw a stat over the weekend that the road record in conf is 29-22 this year, so somebody doesn't stink on the road.

Guarantee that Trapp hits at least two 3's on us. Seems like I constantly hear, he was 1-15 before that 3.

I don't think we are going to win or be close but if we really want to try, I'd say:

- Make Clemson hit 3's - pack the zone under the basket and make them shoot 40% from 3.
- The stink at FT's, make it ugly and send the Tiger to line, make them make FT's
- Doesn't look like any of the Tiger bigs play much. We've had two game to practice getting the ball to Sarr, he needs 25 points
- We need good Childress to show up. Seems like he's due for one of those can't miss games, if he dishes and scores that would help.
- And I toss in us valuing the ball and only having 10 to's

Somebody needs to trick BChill into playing a whole game like he does when Wake is down 15 with two minutes to play and he drops in a quick 10 pts so Wake loses by 7 or do.

Danny Manning vs Clemson.......what could go wrong?

I want to win mainly because I want to see UNC finish last in the ACC by multiple games.

Don't forget Dec 31,2016. If you have forgotten, look it up. Danny's coaching prowess on full display. 10pt lead, 5min to play at home. Your best player (by a mile) doesn't touch the ball the rest of the way. PaiNT TouCHes..??

Don't forget Dec 31,2016. If you have forgotten, look it up. Danny's coaching prowess on full display. 10pt lead, 5min to play at home. Your best player (by a mile) doesn't touch the ball the rest of the way. PaiNT TouCHes..??

That was the last game I went to in person. That game made me physically ill. Ahead the whole game. Completely in control with John Collins unstoppable.

Then with 5 minutes to go, stop playing any D and just jack up 3 after 3 as though John Collins is some random scrub that cannot score.

Have not been back since.

Hey Pilchard, have you seen Anthony Edwards play yet this year ? He's pretty good, don't ya think ? Do you think he'll go pro ? Thanks !

Top 3 pick. Big game for him tonight in Lexington. Even so, UGA is mediocre. Creen is a big dud. A terrible coach IMO.

Last edited:
Back