• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Football schedule

Apps going to be a tough game this is mostly the same team that won at Chapel Hill and Columbia last year. Neither of those teams were great but winning on the road in in a power 5 environment is not easy.

It's their 3rd head coach in 3 years and he has zero experience outside of OL and OC duties.

We return basically 13 starters from a team that went 8-4. If we can manage even average OL and CB play (yes I realize that's a big if), there's no reason to think our bowl streak should be in jeopardy.

We return basically 13 starters from a team that went 8-4. If we can manage even average OL and CB play (yes I realize that's a big if), there's no reason to think our bowl streak should be in jeopardy.

OL play, CB play, and the ability to stay healthy will be the keys to the season. Need all 3.

App won at UNC and at SC, and they return their QB and most of their offense. Think WF will win, but not an automatic W. Including the tight win in Raleigh in 2018, WF has won twice at NC State since 1984. Again, a game that WF should win based on last year's results, but not a gimme.

WF essentially starts the year 2-2 (wins over ODU and Nova; losses to Clemson and ND - both top 10 teams entering 2020). As things stand today, the line on all of the remaining 8 games would be less than 6, with the exception of Cuse at home. Things can and will change over the next 6 months, but WF will play lots of evenly matched games. Love the heighted expectations here, but getting to 8 wins against that schedule won't be easy as that would require WF to 6 of those 8 games.

I just want a stress free week 1 win. Under Clawson, all of those week 1 non P5 FBS games have been scary as hell. Granted, he has won mostly all of them. I'd love for an easy double digit win for once.

App won at UNC and at SC, and they return their QB and most of their offense. Think WF will win, but not an automatic W. Including the tight win in Raleigh in 2018, WF has won twice at NC State since 1984. Again, a game that WF should win based on last year's results, but not a gimme.

WF essentially starts the year 2-2 (wins over ODU and Nova; losses to Clemson and ND - both top 10 teams entering 2020). As things stand today, the line on all of the remaining 8 games would be less than 6, with the exception of Cuse at home. Things can and will change over the next 6 months, but WF will play lots of evenly matched games. Love the heighted expectations here, but getting to 8 wins against that schedule won't be easy as that would require WF to 6 of those 8 games.

Yep. I'll throw in the November home games against Syracuse and BC as basic "must wins." That gives use six other games, to get up to six wins or more on the season. The other games being:

App State
at Duke
Miami
at FSU
at NCSU
at Louisville

I'm know everyone wants to chalk up the game at Duke as a sure win, but we were losing to Duke this past season in the fourth quarter in W-S. Every one of those six games is winnable or losable.

Last season, the majority of predictions were for 6-8 wins. We ended up with 8 wins, but were 'oh, so close' to 10 wins.
Too many folks didn't have enough confidence in the team.
I'll try not to be overly optimistic and will go with 8-4, plus another bowl.

Starting to see some spoiled people here. 8-4 is a good goal and is a good season. Hope the bounces go our way and we can do this and steal another one and you have a historic Wake season.

Will be very challenging to keep the bowl streak going next year.

ODU - W
App - L
Nova - W (it will be close)
ND - L
Duke - W
Miami - L
FSU - L
State - L
Syracuse - W (of course, it was a sure thing in 2019)
Louisville - L
Clemson - L
BC - W

I’m going to respect all the skeptical opinions. The schedule does remind me a lot of 2018, I agree with that. I disagree with the idea of going anything less than 7-5. Guys, Wake should’ve been 9-3 or 10-2 in the regular season this year. Kendall dropped the ball in the end zone against Cuse, and and the refs fucked us in the ass at the end of Louisville. Against MSU and Cuse we were missing Sage Surratt, Scotty Washington, Beal-Smith, Nate Gilliam, Justin Strnad, Luke Masterson, Nasir Greer, Rondell Bothroyd, and I’m probably missing some more. This is a long list. and it’s a list of some of our most valuable players. 3 of those guys aren’t coming back, but I now think we are in position to replace those guys (especially with the addition of Terrance Davis at guard).

I think people have forgotten how close we were to being the second best, and I don’t understand why people expect such a drop off. Miami was a TERRIBLE football team last year. Why do Wake fans have more confidence in them? They added a quarterback, so what? The have some serious issues that need to be fixed in a year. I think they will improve, but I think we have enough to beat them, especially early(ish) in the season. We beat State to the drum last year, they’ll have some players back, but they also are experiencing some coaching changes. That will take a little time, and the players will have to adjust. I don’t think there’s any way we lose to App. They’re going to have a disappointing year. I can feel it. The coaching change isn’t going to go well, they’re still going to be the best in their conference, but they’re not going to win the P5 games like they did last year.

inspectah, you’re not the only one with this prediction, and I’m not trying to say your wrong. But I don’t understand how a Wake fan has so little confidence going into 2020 with the team that we have.

6-6

ODU - W
App - W
ND - L
Duke - W
Miami - L
FSU - L
State - W
Louisville - W
Clemson - L
BC - L

6-6

ODU - W
App - W
ND - L
Duke - W
Miami - L
FSU - L
State - W
Louisville - W
Clemson - L
BC - L

Well that’s 7-5. Really don’t know how we could lose to BC when they lost Anthony Brown, AJ Dillon, and Adazzio.

6-6

ODU - W
App - W
ND - L
Duke - W
Miami - L
FSU - L
State - W
Louisville - W
Clemson - L
BC - L

Swap BC and Louisville for win/loss. Nova win should not be in doubt. Duke, State and as we saw this year, Syracuse wins never a given.

7-5

Those 3 all go the wrong way and 4-8.

Find the next Louisville killer back, a la Matt Colburn, and 9-3 possible.

I agree swap BC and Louisville also I think we take Miami finally

11/7 vs. Cuse officially announced as Homecoming as we have all seen in our email inboxes

lack of Saturday home games really sucks

Per Les and Conor our opening game @ODU is now on Friday. So 3 more Friday games.

And just to be clear, this game is AT ODU so their TV deal is in charge.

Last edited:
Per Les and Conor our opening game @ODU is now on Friday. So 3 more Friday games.

Playing on a Thursday or Friday to start the season makes sense and is a lot different than in-season Thursday or Friday games because:

- It gives WF an extra say to prepare for Week 2 (App), without having a short week as there is no game before the opener;
- The pre-season start day is governed by the date of your first game, so it allows WF to start pre-season practice earlier;
- The first weekend is Labor Day weekend; so, by playing on a Thursday or Friday, it allows a chance for people who are heading out of town for the long weekend, to go to the game and still head to the beach or wherever.

Understand the frustration with the Thursday or Friday games after Labor Day weekend, but for the first game, starting a day or two early is a good thing.

-

I hate the opening Thursday/Friday game. it just doesn't feel like the season has really started when all day Saturday it's wall to wall games but we've already beaten like Presbyterian or whatever. I would be more amenable if it was against a conference or marquee OOC opponent.

Back