• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

I wonder what the Vegas odds are on a thread about Kobe's passing would end up with someone challenging everyone to a fistfight irl. Never change, boards.

I sign on to this board yesterday and read through this thread and I see racists tags that have since been removed, tags “like can’t rape anymore”, and posters talking about why should anyone care that a rapist died. Beyond the death of a basketball icon, a father and a person who did a lot for others in this world just died terribly and tragically with his 13 year old daughter. His wife and other daughters just learned about the death of their father/husband, sibling/child, less than 12 hours ago. I don’t know how many of you watched the video of the helicopter crash, but it was a terrible way to die. He was with his wife for 20 years, and was a father of 4 kids.

First, the timing of your responses, on the day he and his daughter just died, is outrageous. It doesn’t make you witty or woke to question aspects of his legacy within 12 hours of his tragic death. Some of you who feel intellectual for acting like this are in reality displaying extremely poor character, at the minimum. Others of you are just straight up racist.

I have a theory that people that act that way as adults were probably asshole kids that never got punched in the mouth. You have a war of words still feeling powerful, despite being completely in the wrong. There are some wannabe smart-ass people in this world who need to get a beating to improve their character. That’s just how some people learn respect and they won’t be taught any other way. This isn’t a Ben Shapiro conservative debate, this is you being vulgar in a time and context where you need to just shut the fuck up and save your debate for another day.

If you were at a friends wake and while people were mourning, you said “well he was accused of cheating on his wife 17 years ago so good riddance” which is what some of the reactions amounted to, I would pull you outside of that wake so fast, and I wouldn’t be the only person that gave you a threatening talk.

Secondly, Kobe was an accused rapist. You don’t know for sure, and I don’t know for sure if he actually did it. This happened 17 years ago. If you are closer to this topic because you are a child of rape or had a loved one raped I’m sorry, but like I said, he was accused not convicted. For a University that has many Christian values, your responses passing judgment on Kobe immediately after his death sure don’t align with the general values taught at Wake Forest.

Like I pointed out in the Pit thread, I wonder if I look back how many of you social justice warriors were outspoken during the Kavanaugh hearings for an accused rapist. This is one accused’s response:
“First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado.
I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.
I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.”

And this is the others:

Unknown-1.jpg

Unknown-4.jpg

So forgive me if I’m skeptical after reading racist tags that some posters are harder on black athletes in death, than accused white rapists at any time.

Beyond that, some say a true measure of a man is how he learns from his mistakes. By all accounts Kobe was a great father, husband, and friend to those around him after the accusations. As another posted stated, legacies can be complicated, but it’s likely if you look at his entire life you will see a lot more good than you find bad. That’s why millions of people mourned his loss. When all you holier than thou posters die I wonder how many will mourn you.

What I read yesterday filled me with rage and disappointment, but today I just feel sorry for those people. I normally am laid back about most things, but certain timing and context issues with behaviors can really set me off. I apologize to those who weren’t involved and had to read those rage posts, but to those who still feel emboldened to only talk about race and his rape allegations within 24 hours of his death, I still wouldn’t mind smacking some sense into your thick heads. Hope you some of you enjoyed this message board manifesto.

I agree with the vast majority of your sentiments, Chill, but I'll still fight you if you're looking to punch someone in the mouth.

Your offer was wake sporting events to break peoples arms and wreck their face over someone you’ve never met, not controlled environment sparring, so yeah your a psycho probably no better than your boy Kavanaugh.

I sign on to this board yesterday and read through this thread and I see racists tags that have since been removed, tags “like can’t rape anymore”, and posters talking about why should anyone care that a rapist died. Beyond the death of a basketball icon, a father and a person who did a lot for others in this world just died terribly and tragically with his 13 year old daughter. His wife and other daughters just learned about the death of their father/husband, sibling/child, less than 12 hours ago. I don’t know how many of you watched the video of the helicopter crash, but it was a terrible way to die. He was with his wife for 20 years, and was a father of 4 kids.

First, the timing of your responses, on the day he and his daughter just died, is outrageous. It doesn’t make you witty or woke to question aspects of his legacy within 12 hours of his tragic death. Some of you who feel intellectual for acting like this are in reality displaying extremely poor character, at the minimum. Others of you are just straight up racist.

I have a theory that people that act that way as adults were probably asshole kids that never got punched in the mouth. You have a war of words still feeling powerful, despite being completely in the wrong. There are some wannabe smart-ass people in this world who need to get a beating to improve their character. That’s just how some people learn respect and they won’t be taught any other way. This isn’t a Ben Shapiro conservative debate, this is you being vulgar in a time and context where you need to just shut the fuck up and save your debate for another day.

If you were at a friends wake and while people were mourning, you said “well he was accused of cheating on his wife 17 years ago so good riddance” which is what some of the reactions amounted to, I would pull you outside of that wake so fast, and I wouldn’t be the only person that gave you a threatening talk.

Secondly, Kobe was an accused rapist. You don’t know for sure, and I don’t know for sure if he actually did it. This happened 17 years ago. If you are closer to this topic because you are a child of rape or had a loved one raped I’m sorry, but like I said, he was accused not convicted. For a University that has many Christian values, your responses passing judgment on Kobe immediately after his death sure don’t align with the general values taught at Wake Forest.

Like I pointed out in the Pit thread, I wonder if I look back how many of you social justice warriors were outspoken during the Kavanaugh hearings for an accused rapist. This is one accused’s response:
“First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado.
I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.
I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.”

And this is the others:

Unknown-1.jpg

Unknown-4.jpg

So forgive me if I’m skeptical after reading racist tags that some posters are harder on black athletes in death, than accused white rapists at any time.

Beyond that, some say a true measure of a man is how he learns from his mistakes. By all accounts Kobe was a great father, husband, and friend to those around him after the accusations. As another posted stated, legacies can be complicated, but it’s likely if you look at his entire life you will see a lot more good than you find bad. That’s why millions of people mourned his loss. When all you holier than thou posters die I wonder how many will mourn you.

What I read yesterday filled me with rage and disappointment, but today I just feel sorry for those people. I normally am laid back about most things, but certain timing and context issues with behaviors can really set me off. I apologize to those who weren’t involved and had to read those rage posts, but to those who still feel emboldened to only talk about race and his rape allegations within 24 hours of his death, I still wouldn’t mind smacking some sense into your thick heads. Hope you some of you enjoyed this message board manifesto.

no one cares, dude

Your offer was wake sporting events to break peoples arms and wreck their face over someone you’ve never met, not controlled environment sparring, so yeah your a psycho probably no better than your boy Kavanaugh.

His statement about WF and Christian values clarified a lot about his mentality for me.

Overall, I don't disagree with you. My solo exception is that I don't think the norm for waiting to judging a person's character is productive beyond the rhetorical function of protecting someone's image (for both the celebrity and the psyche of the audience member). The most honest thing we can do is immediately and unflinchingly subject our heroes to criticism from all angles. Some people don't like that, which makes sense, (maybe because it threatens to tear apart the perceived stability of an object?) but it is the truth, I dunno. Some people responded so negatively in this thread that they started blaming the same victim that Kobe admitted to assaulting. Either they have their facts crossed or they really feel psychologically threatened. Seems like maybe a little confrontation on this thread can help move us toward truth?

Thanks for the tags too, I guess?

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but emotions are likely to be rawer and the backlash against criticism more violent in the immediate aftermath of a person's death, especially when it's as unexpected and tragic as this one. If you're looking for a legitimate and productive discussion of a person's character and foibles (which may not be the goal for a whole lot of people in this environment), you're more likely to find it after a cooling-off period.

I'm done hijacking this thread to tell assholes to shut the fuck up with slandering a man who just died. If you feel the need to lack compassion and kindness and really want to take issue with my anger and rage about that PM me and we can settle it.

Back