• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

Don't make Netflix angry. You wouldn't like him when he is angry...

giphy.gif

Your offer was wake sporting events to break peoples arms and wreck their face over someone you’ve never met, not controlled environment sparring, so yeah your a psycho probably no better than your boy Kavanaugh.

Fair point that in that moment my response was over the line. I regret saying it like that, could've said it differently. My general emotions on the matter still stand.

This is why Trump was elected president

Shit like the last 5 pages of this thread

Sounds like fun. Stipulations? Format? We close in weight and age? No offense, but it would be less enjoyable if you're in your 50's or around a buck-sixty.

You and Netflix are reasonable dudes. If you guys just want to hug it out in the ring, I'm down. But please make it clear this isn't a moral thing over Kobe. The 10,000 lb. weaklings throwing shade in the thread are the ones that need an opportunity to nut-up. You two are just two alpha males (no homo) looking for a spar.

Sounds like fun. Stipulations? Format? We close in weight and age? No offense, but it would be less enjoyable if you're in your 50's or around a buck-sixty.

Having fairly refereed the great OGB dick measuring contest of 2013(?) I will volunteer to step back in the ring with stripes on for this one as well. Less schlong this time around pls

Having fairly refereed the great OGB dick measuring contest of 2013(?) I will volunteer to step back in the ring with stripes on for this one as well. Less schlong this time around pls

Definitely. My dick is super tiny anyway, man. It's why I feel the need to accept fight invitations from randos on a message board.

A pilot who is bold (and foolish) enough to take off into actual IFR conditions, using VFR (visual flight rules) only, is asking for serious trouble. It's the reason we say that there's no such thing as old, bold pilots.

No worries. Manhood measurements will not be disclosed as part of the event. We will make weight, height, reach, and age public knowledge.

So if the TMZ report is correct, the helicopter hit a mountain at 1700 feet going about 185 mph in thick fog. Very tragic. Probably should not have been up there but that's not important at this point. Sad all the way around.

From TMZ:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-killed-dead-helicopter-crash-in-calabasas/

4:30 PM PT -- L.A. weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe's chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude -- around 875 feet -- perhaps waiting for the fog to clear.

We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes. The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA.
At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.

However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.

This crash sounds very similar to the Hendrick Motorsports crash near Stuart, Va. a few years ago. Very sad, indeed.

So if the TMZ report is correct, the helicopter hit a mountain at 1700 feet going about 185 mph in thick fog. Very tragic. Probably should not have been up there but that's not important at this point. Sad all the way around.

Yeah, it sounds like they were flying in conditions they really shouldn't have been. It's shame, I mean the pilot could've just sat the thing down somewhere instead of trying to continue on since it was a helicopther. Definitely just sad

I have anger management issues, so I'm sorry for wanting to fight people. I know that's wrong when my emotions calm down, and I will seek a more constructive outlet.

Why would you take a helicopter to travel 30 miles? Such a shame. RIP.

It's a lot farther from Newport Coast (Kobe's home is there) to Calabasas than 30 miles. I'd guess it's at least 70 miles even if the helicopter took off from John Wayne Airport. There's the possibility of lots of traffic along that route. Plus, I'd say most teenagers would think taking a helicopter would be really fun and really cool.

Those marine fog layers are seemingly so random at times. Sometimes it can be bright and sunny at one location, but near zero visibility 2 miles down the road. And they can come and go very quickly. I'm guessing something along those lines is what happened here. Probably fine at takeoff, became really bad, pilot got disoriented, and tragedy happened.

This is probably a dumb question from someone who has never flown in a helicopter before, but could the pilot have just flown straight up and above the marine layer? They're typically very close to the ground, and I'm pretty sure choppers have no issue flying at 5,000-10,000 feet or so.

Back