• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

These patches of fog can appear out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly.

A perfect example happened to me last Friday. The place I do shredding of paper is about a quarter mile from the beach. I was one light inland from there and it was sunny. Behind the office is a storage facility. When I got there, I couldn't even see the end of the row of storage lockers that were about a 50-100 yards away.

On one side of the street was clear, twenty yards away, you could barely see 10-20'. That was on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if was thicker higher up.

Ok now we obviously are going to need to know what you're shredding and why there's so much of it that you have to have a place, RJ.

This may be a dumb question but how is the fatal dive related to the rest of the trip? So he's circling the zoo to avoid fog, tries to follow interstates, gets into trouble again in another foggy area, tries to climb to 2400' to get out of it, and then the helicopter rapidly dives to 1700' and crashes. Did he get so disoriented in trying to climb out of the fog and mountains that he lost control of the craft entirely? Or was there some engine failure or other event in there too?

At least this morning's post was far less Aaron Hernandez-y and not talking about disrespect.
How many concussions have you had, netflix?
No clue why Kavanaugh would get brought up.

Roethlisberger would be a much better comparison - both rich, high profile professional athletes and no doubt that a sexual encounter actually took place.

Ok now we obviously are going to need to know what you're shredding and why there's so much of it that you have to have a place, RJ.

I know. rj's incredibly detailed description of the shredding place gave me a laugh. Needed on this thread.

This may be a dumb question but how is the fatal dive related to the rest of the trip? So he's circling the zoo to avoid fog, tries to follow interstates, gets into trouble again in another foggy area, tries to climb to 2400' to get out of it, and then the helicopter rapidly dives to 1700' and crashes. Did he get so disoriented in trying to climb out of the fog and mountains that he lost control of the craft entirely? Or was there some engine failure or other event in there too?

It's not a dumb question. I don't think we know yet.

At least one witness reported that the engine sputtered before crashing, so something involving the engine seems likely. Since the flight took much longer than anticipated I wonder if it ran out of fuel.

Sometimes the fog rolls in with some wind that gusts. Also, the hills/mountains aren't in a line.

Even the freeways go up and down in height. A perfect example was the apartment complex I lived at in LA/Burbank when I first moved to CA was at least 150' above the Hollywood Freeway less than a quarter of a mile away. This happens all through that area that extends to the beach.

At least one witness reported that the engine sputtered before crashing, so something involving the engine seems likely. Since the flight took much longer than anticipated I wonder if it ran out of fuel.

If it ran out of fuel, doubtful it explodes and essentially incinerates.

Well it sounds like this helicopter operating company should get sued for all they're worth, not that it really matters in a tragedy like this. There's no way that helicopter ever should have been allowed to leave the ground and fly VFR if the freaking police department had it's choppers grounded.

ETA: if the fog was thick enough, I'm sure it just looked like a complete whiteout, and the pilot may have had issues with equilibrium (so the dive may have not really felt like a dive). Or he just got too disoriented and panicked. Or he thought he had the nose pointed down and out to sea and was trying to hightail it out of there. Tons of uncertainty.

Last edited:
Given where they going and returning. I wouldn't be surprised if the helicopter would have waited. It's kind of unlikely that it would have been booked for another party in between dropping Kobe's off and returning unless the tournament was scheduled for going into the evening.

Kobe used to take a helicopter to games which made a lot of sense. The traffic would have been miserable. Getting there with less stress would have been a benefit.

I clicked on TMZ's story yesterday

But that was before I realized the next of kin had not been notified.

I'll personally never click on their site again as a result if those are their standards.

These are people. And these people have families and loved ones. Rushing to get the news out DOES NOT SUPERSEDE the civic authorities notifying the next of kin of the tragedy so that the surviving members don't have to see it on their fucking Twitter feed. And all it costs is a couple hours of clicks.

Fuck TMZ. All all their ilk. Never again will I click on their site.

I clicked on TMZ's story yesterday

But that was before I realized the next of kin had not been notified.

I'll personally never click on their site again as a result if those are their standards.

These are people. And these people have families and loved ones. Rushing to get the news out DOES NOT SUPERSEDE the civic authorities notifying the next of kin of the tragedy so that the surviving members don't have to see it on their fucking Twitter feed. And all it costs is a couple hours of clicks.

Fuck TMZ. All all their ilk. Never again will I click on their site.

Explains why, rightly, ESPN was so slow to break the news. I don't care which side you're on, the media is out of control. Their desire to be the first to break stories has come too often at the expense of 1-accuracy, as often they don't even attempt to have solid facts before reporting and presenting something as true, and 2-as in this case, human decency. Why in the world not wait until it's confirmed that the families have been notified? That's not a time sensitive story, Kobe and 8 others were dead and waiting to make sure families didn't have to hear on the TV or radio wouldn't have changed that or made the story any less impactful.

Back