• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

I keep reading that the helicopter was owned by a company called Island Express, Inc. and was previously owned by the state of Illinois. It was purchased by Island Express in 2015 for $515k. It was a 1991 model helicopter.

I guess Kobe could have leased it from Island Express full time, but that doesn't seem likely. It seems more likely that he just used the service when he needed it. But I really have no idea. I really would have thought it would be the other way around - that he owned a helicopter and leased it out when he wasn't using it.

An interview with a former pilot for Island Express states that Island Express owned the helicopter. https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/kobe-...ousine-had-strong-safety-record-former-pilot/

I haven't read, and won't read this entire thread but let's not forgot those other than Kobe who died on the flight. John Altobelli is the son of Joe, the former MLB manager who I remember best from his days in the Appalachian League in the 1960s. May angels wrap all the families in sheltering arms.

Take away capitalism and you take away the private helicopter in the first place. Problem solved.

Per qz.com, which cites the FAA's latest reports:

But while private planes offer many advantages, they are significantly more dangerous than commercial air travel, which just had its safest year on record. Out of 35 million commercial global flights in 2017, only two ended in accidents resulting in fatalities, according to To70, an aviation consulting firm. A total of 13 people died in the two crashes in Angola and Russia.

By contrast, general aviation—which includes unscheduled charter flights as well as private flights—is much more dangerous. In the 12 months ending Sept. 30, there were 209 fatal accidents, resulting in 347 deaths, in the US alone, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. The accident rate for general aviation is improving—it’s declined from 1.1 fatal accidents per 100,000 flight hours in 2010 to 0.84 last year—but it’s still safer to fly commercial, particularly in the US. The last fatal commercial flight in the US was in 2009, when 49 people were killed in a Colgan Air crash near Buffalo, New York.

so this is what it takes for deacvision, the occasional feminist, to turn on TMZ? i will be damned.

It's very possible that Kobe owned and then leased it for others to use. While playing, he'd have used it 50-100 times/year which makes owning sensible. Leasing it out would have been easy for him.

Besides being close to his in-laws, living in Pelican Hill then Newport Coast made a lot of sense for buying the helicopter. It would avoid the traffic and get him to games quickly. Most of the players live on the Westside (Beverly Hills, Marina, Bel Air, Encino, etc.) and would take them longer to get to Staples Center than Kobe's decision.

Kobe lived in Pelican Hill? Damn I literally played the Pelican Hill course Saturday morning.

Also nobody should be taking off in those conditions. Unless the marine layer closed in on them shortly after take off.

I haven't read, and won't read this entire thread but let's not forgot those other than Kobe who died on the flight. John Altobelli is the son of Joe, the former MLB manager who I remember best from his days in the Appalachian League in the 1960s. May angels wrap all the families in sheltering arms.

His wife and daughter were on the helicopter as well. So there are now two kids out there who lost both parents and a sister at the same time. Absolutely brutal.

Has it been determined if a black box was on board? That would certainly help this investigation immensely.

You want to go with a state run media?

Is your brain literally full of forced binaries?

What's your point?

My point - backed by the FAA's data - is that getting on a private plane ("general aviation") is statistically more dangerous than getting on a "public" plane ("commercial air travel"). Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
Kobe lived in Pelican Hill? Damn I literally played the Pelican Hill course Saturday morning.

Also nobody should be taking off in those conditions. Unless the marine layer closed in on them shortly after take off.

He moved up to Newport Coast from Pelican Hill.

You didn't call when you were at Pelican Hill? B OO

NBC just announced that the copter should have a cockpit voice recorder.

NTSB just announced there was no black box. Looking for photos of weather at the time and any electronics that might have survived.

Based upon what I'm watching, I wonder if any bodies will even be recovered. Sounds absolutely horrific.

I learned that marine fog is caused by cold water, interesting California has cold oceans.

man - i don't know why exactly, but this has really made me more sad than any other celeb / athlete passing i can remember

i applied for a job with kobe's investment firm last year, and in the back of my head was nervous that i actually might have to interview with kobe

that’s a shame

I learned that marine fog is caused by cold water, interesting California has cold oceans.

Pacific coast the streams come from Alaska so the oceans are cold.
Altantic coast the streams are from the Gulf so the oceans are warm.

Back