• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

Of those not previously listed, these sport names come to mind: Roberto Clemente, Alan Kulwiki, and Davey Allison.

Stevie Ray Vaughan also came to mind. Obviously not sports related but was iconic and only 36 and also died in a helicopter crash.

Long before my time, but The Day the Music Died. Big Bopper, Richie Valens, Buddie Holly.

Also Otis Redding. Man, so many stars died in air accidents back in the day.

Earnhardt is a good one, forgot about him. Would Elvis count? Was he still doing concerts around the time of his death?

On another note, I keep seeing that Verizon ad with the ambulance (no sound) and think its breaking news about the crash.

From the reddit thread.

"TMZ confirmed one other passenger was confirmed, John Altobelli. I would assume his daughter, 12 or 13 year old Alyssa Altobelli, who according to this article has played with 'Gigi' Bryant in the past, was the other passenger, as they were headed to practice together.

Now here's the thing. Kobe has been known to fly his own helicopters. Whether or not he was the pilot is yet to be confirmed. If he is, I imagine another member of the Altobelli family was involved, or possibly a third girl who was a member of the team.

Alyssa Altobelli is in this Instagram post. Her father, John, was the longest tenured baseball coach in his school's history."

Looks like the hyperlinks didn't paste over.

New info:

2:40pm PST: "Officials say they believe 9 people were on board -- 1 pilot and 8 passengers -- and there were no survivors. Still unclear why the chopper crashed but an investigation is under way." - TMZ

Back